• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Higurashi Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
So sentai filmworks now has the entire higurashi franchise anime franchise licensed!!! I'm weeping tears of joy now :___:

Not entirely. The Kira & Outbreak OVAs are now the only ones not licensed.
PetitePuff

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm Reply with quote
higurashi!!! Now I can finally own the second season! Very Happy
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:26 pm Reply with quote
The total number of episodes for LotGH, if you count the movies, is 165. That makes it the longest OVA series ever.
lem

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:27 pm Reply with quote
and Sentai hits a GRAND SLAM. dang.

*happy dance*

ok ok ok, When can I order an R1 release of Legend of the Galactic Heroes?!?!?

did I just type that?

*adds it to the buy list*

Shenl742 wrote:

LoGH is quite honestly the first time in probably a year or so that I've wanted something from Sentai. I'm actually a little worried.

Have there releases improved in quality recently? Should I be worried?

well just going by my fairly recent viewing experiences with Short Peace, Knights, Space Bros, Non Non Biyori, Gingitsune, etc., I'm inclined to not worry. I haven't noticed any glaring issues with the audio or video on those that would be cause for a hissy fit. At least not like the one I had for Kids on the Slope, which is already ancient history at this point. So for whatever that's worth?

Also enjoying Log Horizon on blu right now and it looks and sounds very pretty, but all the same, I'll still be checking for news or other reports of audio and video issues before clicking yes for this release. That's just the thing to do nowadays.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Just wow. Higurashi alone makes me a happy camper (wonder if they'll bother dubbing the second season, probably not but I don't really care).

But Legend of the Galactic Heroes? Complete left field. I assume purely a sub release.
theNightster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:41 pm Reply with quote
as a Higurashi fan I am so happy that not only season 1 got rescued (for the second time) but also kai finally gets licensed as well, if sentai gives season 2 a dub please please do not bring back the cast geneon's dub because it was pretty bad.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Never thought I'd see the day, but I still knew it'd happen before Do You Remember Love? or Macross Frontier. Yeah, if there's any kind of game of winning at a convention, there's literally nothing else anyone can do short of licensing a whole heap of older anime and announcing them on BD. My only question is "does the license cover home video sales or just online streaming?" Doing the latter is stupid easy these days and you don't have to rely on pushing discs, and LoGH was always thought "unlicenseable" because of it's length and the idea that licensing only meant releasing on home video, which definitely isn't the only outcome anymore.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:47 pm; edited 3 times in total
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:44 pm Reply with quote
I keep looking through the article but apart from the obvious, for what medium has Sentai licensed them exactly?

Legend of Galactic Heroes- that's going to be something of a cow to release, a heavy investment of time to watch and it'll cost even more to own. But streaming? Too easy an answer, of course.

Higurashi Great that it was licensed but just like Familiar of Zero, they're going to ruin it by not dubbing the addition material. If they're not going to dub anymore of it, don't include the original dub as it leads to certain expectations.

All announcement, no details.
loveless80

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Just bought the original Higurashi box set with artbox for a pretty penny, just my luck, I'm glad I held off on the Australian season 2 set since I had heard rumours this week (after receiving my season 1 set) about it getting licensed. Maybe I'll just sell off the original set while I still can.
VanGosroth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
LoGH is quite honestly the first time in probably a year or so that I've wanted something from Sentai. I'm actually a little worried.

Have there releases improved in quality recently? Should I be worried?

I can tell by your post that you must very refined anime taste. Speaking on behalf of the plebeians who frequently purchase lesser series from Sentai there have been no major issues I've noticed on any of the series I've purchased. Only minor problem I've found is the occasional pixelated artwork that's on the actual disk but it could be a blank dvd-rom for all I care.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:17 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
My only question is "does the license cover home video sales or just online streaming?" Doing the latter is stupid easy these days and you don't have to rely on pushing discs, and LoGH was always thought "unlicenseable" because of it's length and the idea that licensing only meant releasing on home video, which definitely isn't the only outcome anymore.

I'd honestly say the best thing they can do with a show like LOGH is push it really hard with the science fiction/war story crowd, not just the anime crowd. It's honestly one of the better works I've seen in that regard. While the science fiction aspects aren't as important as the characters, politics and battles, it's still pretty good.

TLDR: I hope it means everything, from streaming on their website to things like Netflix as well as home video.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Man if I could laugh at all those that said over the years that bringing LOGH to the west was impossible. Laughing I'm happy that finally someone had the cojones to bring the finest science fiction anime adapation of a literary work ever. I've said it in the past and I'll say it again, market this series to science fiction fans (which go way beyond the anime market niche) and you've got a very good seller on your hands.
LoGH is an anime only insofar as it is hand drawn, but at its heart it is a science fiction epic. And this kind of epic can appeal to people that enjoy reading science fiction novels.

I'll just hope Sentai doesn't price it out of reach Aniplex style. Waiting to see how they plan to price and publish the whole thing. In my opinion they could publish 30 or so episodes per year and be done in 4 years. That would be quite acceptable.
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
And on the subject of surprises, Higurashi?
Perhaps Sentai got it for a Toonami run, given that "crazy" seems to sell there?

I think you may be onto something. Higurashi does seem right up Toonami's alley.

And with the VN on Steam, and Toonami doing game review segments, this seems like a great way to cross-promote. Maybe get Yen involved to promote the manga, too?
taster of pork

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:45 pm Reply with quote
I seriously never thought that this would happen. Shocked Very Happy DVD or Blu-ray, I don't care witch. Thank you, sentai. Celebration time.

Last edited by taster of pork on Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Well, that's something I never thought I'd see. Interesting how they should license this when back in December it was said that a new anime adaptation is in the works. Hopefully they do a physical release, even if they don't dub it as with it being 100+ episodes long, and being VERY slow-paced it wouldn't exactly have broad appeal despite it being a seminal classic in science fiction anime and a great political/military drama.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9