• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Higurashi Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
digidragon
ANN Past Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:18 am Reply with quote
keichitsu0305 wrote:
@dtm42: Pigs will fly before Frontier or Do You Remember Love? are released in the US. Heck, the release of the original, unedited SDF Marcoss seems more plausible now that history has been made!

Well they started releasing it, at least. It came out last September, as I understand it, and went under the radar because it's listed as Robotech first. I never heard from anyone who bought it.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:45 am Reply with quote
OMFG! Words cannot express my joy! But I have to ask: just the main series or did they get the two side series and/or movies too? Or will everyone buying the main series convince them to get the rest because if they put out any of that in super special collector's edition, I'm pre-ordering it day 1 on RightStuf. Well played, I surrender my wallet to you.

But OMFG! This has basically ruined all other licensing announcements for me for all eternity. A new license will pop up and I'll be all like "I could save money by just watching LOGH for the umpteenth time", lol

Also, I might finally be able to buy Higurashi Kai? And maybe they'll be awesome and re-release it in a super special edition and whatnot? Dammit, Sentai, Space Brothers might be the only show I've bought from you in like 4 years, but you, sirs, have just earned my loyalty.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:54 am Reply with quote
@Finny Chan, Sentai stopped using stack packs quite a while ago. They've been using standard size cases with dividers for a couple of years. The last stack pack release from Section 23 was actually a Madien Japan title, Vampire Princess Miyu.
Mamo-chan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:08 am Reply with quote
@dtm42 This is why I had to import the SDF Macross Blu-rays. Expensive, but worth it.

Last edited by Mamo-chan on Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:17 am Reply with quote
HYPE!HYPE!HYPE!

I wonder how much LotGH will be? It's 110 episodes, so I wonder how they will break that down. Doubt it will be dubbed, but oh well. It sounds like a series that non-anime fans could enjoy, so a dub would really help there.

Also, will it be BluRay or DVD? As old as this series is, I suspect a DVD, sub-only release. But who knows?
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:18 am Reply with quote
Wow, I honestly never thought this would happen any time soon.

I wonder if they are getting Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Spiral Labyrinth, too?
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:45 am Reply with quote
Themaster20000 wrote:
The impossible has happened Shocked. I am definitely looking forward to finally watching LOGH!

This! Wow! Smile

digidragon wrote:
Well they started releasing it, at least. It came out last September, as I understand it, and went under the radar because it's listed as Robotech first. I never heard from anyone who bought it.

Oh man, I don't remember seeing this at all...
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:11 am Reply with quote
Astonished like everyone else.

I hope one of the Australian companies licence LotGH. If not, I guess I might just have to import it. (C'mon Siren Visual, you can do it.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Marzan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:25 am Reply with quote
Puff, I've drunk too much. I could swear that I read that LOGH was licensed....like that could ever happen, right?
Mai Yukino

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:37 am Reply with quote
One of my many wishes has finally come true! I am brimming with pure elation and excitement for this extremely great news for Legend of the Galactic Heroes finally being licensed at long last! I can't wait to add this truly amazing series to my collection!

THANK YOU SENTAI FOR FINALLY LICENSING LOGH!!! Very Happy
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:41 am Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
I hope one of the Australian companies licence LotGH. If not, I guess I might just have to import it. (C'mon Siren Visual, you can do it.)

Speaking of Siren Visual, does anyone know how Dennou Coil sold for them? This might be a factor because I believe it's from the same licensor as LoGH and from what I heard, they had to do A LOT of convincing to pick that show up.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:51 am Reply with quote
Assuming that they do the standard 12-13 episode boxsets for LotGH and that it does get dubbed, it will be definitely a big investment for them because it will take several years to finish. However, I think that given this becoming a Holy Grail for licensors here, some fans will feel that it is worth the wait. Had Funi licensed it, at the rate they license stuff, I wouldn't be surprised if were delays.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:31 am Reply with quote
I am (like many others) SHOCKED that LOGH got licensed, didn't expect that.
Lynx Amali wrote:
I'd honestly say the best thing they can do with a show like LOGH is push it really hard with the science fiction/war story crowd, not just the anime crowd.

Actually, considering the current US media market, the "best" thing that Sentai could do to push LotGH (if their goal is max sales) is probably to market it as "Game of Thrones: IN SPACE".
(I also wouldn't be shocked to hear that the success of GoT helped convince Sentai to pull the trigger on LotGH)
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:39 pm Reply with quote
keichitsu0305 wrote:
Ah yeah, that's my biggest worry. Oh, and the audio.
Most of my DVDs for 90s & early 2000s anime still have that lame 4:3 ratio so the black bars show up. I hope Sentai doesn't "stretch" the video to match Widescreen 16:9. Does anyone know how LOGH looks on the Japanese BD release?

The Japanese Bluray release is 4:3.

And why in the world would you want to change that? The show was created in 4:3, and the only way to view it uncropped on a widescreen is either black bars on the side, or that you accept it's stretched to fill the whole screen...
I mean, who wants to watch a cropped version of a show, especially of a classic like this? Who? When it is released, it better be in its original 4:3...
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
I keep looking through the article but apart from the obvious, for what medium has Sentai licensed them exactly?

Higurashi Great that it was licensed but just like Familiar of Zero, they're going to ruin it by not dubbing the addition material. If they're not going to dub anymore of it, don't include the original dub as it leads to certain expectations.

All announcement, no details.
Let's hope Sentai sticks to DVD for Higurashi S1 and Kai, as the Japanese Blu-Rays were just below-average upscales anyway. As for "expectations," I think Rozen Maiden is the only franchise where Sentai re-released existing dubs and dubbed later installments themselves. If Familiar of Zero and Someday's Dreamers are any indication, the correct expectation would be, "Sentai's going to re-release existing dubs and do the rest sub-only." Sentai can't please everybody either way (even if they risked losing money on dubbing Kai/Rei, some dub fans will be unsatisfied with it, and dub-haters will whine about the alleged "dub tax"), but not including the existing dub won't please anybody. If people are that bummed out about later parts not being dubbed, they can just, I don't know, choose not to watch the first season's dub despite it being on the discs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9