• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Higurashi Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:04 pm Reply with quote
digidragon wrote:
Well they started releasing it, at least. It came out last September, as I understand it, and went under the radar because it's listed as Robotech first. I never heard from anyone who bought it.

Didn't it not even have the Japanese audio or something? Besides, ADV did release SDF Macross unedited a few years back, but those sets are worthless now with the semi-new Japanese BDs out. Those sets only have value because they were snapped up so quickly and so few produced, but there's no reason to own one beyond just that. So the new set of "grails" would be Macross on BD, DYRL on BD (add another "grail" for them to unrelease an unedited version in Japan as well not paired with some game), and then the rest of Macross (7, Frontier, Plus, II) on BD as well. Plus looks really dang good in HD, like everyone knew it would. Basically, the entirety of Macross requires entirely new releases in the US. Anything currently available is using shit video quality.

Blanchimont wrote:
And why in the world would you want to change that? The show was created in 4:3, and the only way to view it uncropped on a widescreen is either black bars on the side, or that you accept it's stretched to fill the whole screen...
I mean, who wants to watch a cropped version of a show, especially of a classic like this? Who? When it is released, it better be in its original 4:3...

Sadly, the Japanese BD of My Conquest is definitely cropped from 4:3 to 16:9 or 1.85:1. I hate that the Japanese sides has been doing this with anime films. Why? It's not like you're marketing your LoGH movie BDs or Genma Taisen BDs to the general populace, of course it's just gonna be devotees or otaku buying them. It's mind-boggling and kind of infuriating. Thank god that the BD for Beautiful Dreamer was just an upscale, because it too was cropped.
phia_one

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:04 pm Reply with quote
This is great! I've always wanted to experience LoGH and now we get both the novels and the anime.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Has there been precedent in licensed anime that used very famous renditions of classical music? I'm curious if the bevy of orchestral BGM during the space battles may raise a red flag somehow.

One of the clever aspects of LotGH is how it matches the music to its politics. It uses Viennese composers - mostly Mahler, Bruckner and Beethoven - for Reinhard and the empire and the Soviet era composer Shostakovich (particularly in the second half) for the rebels.

Another anime series that comes to mind for its wonderful and appropriate use of classical music is Princess Tutu.

Was "red flag" a deliberate play on words, given the use of Soviet era music? The series would be hurt if the music was emasculated for copyright reasons.

Last edited by Errinundra on Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, reading the novels is one thing, but to watch the Battle of Amiltzer Starzone with Dvorak going on elevates all of your senses. Too bad the best moment for that stuff is in My Conquest is the Sea of Stars film with Ravel's Bolero. That 15 minute sequence is just the tops, with the way the action and music both crescendo together, and it's not part of this license.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I never thought I'd see this series get licensed after all these years.

I hope it gets a BD release and I'm not just talking about the video quality. ~100 SD episodes on DVD (10-20 discs) is a lot less appealing then ~100 SD episode on BD (2-5 discs).

Regardless, it will be interesting to see how this goes.

Panzer Vor wrote:
All I'm thinking of right now is just how much Sentai had to pay in order to acquire LoGH.

I'm guessing the new anime had something to do with it. Maybe it brought the value of the old series down, maybe it's a package with licensing the new series, maybe it's for increased exposure (marketing) for the news series or something else, but I doubt Sentai would pay what iirc was a very large amount compared to other series for something this old and lengthy.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Now I'm worried that if they release it on blu-ray, they'll charge a couple hundred dollars for it, Like what happened with Garden of Sinners. Not that I wouldn't be willing to spend big money on a good quality release.

Last edited by taster of pork on Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:36 am Reply with quote
Garden of Sinners was an Aniplex of America title. There's no reason to believe that Sentai will have outrageous pricing like that.
WeskerGriff

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:17 am Reply with quote

UN-FREAKING-REAL

I'm literally throwing money at my computer. Just take it Sentai.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:56 am Reply with quote
keichitsu0305 wrote:
Most of my DVDs for 90s & early 2000s anime still have that lame 4:3 ratio so the black bars show up. I hope Sentai doesn't "stretch" the video to match Widescreen 16:9.
Wait, the 4:3 ratio is "lame" and you don't want them to change it? Something's not adding up here. If you dislike 4:3 that much, don't watch/buy comparatively ancient anime like LoGH, or anything made before 2008 to be on the safe side. (Though only one of the three 4:3 anime from 2007, Lovely Complex, is even licensed over here.) Or just get a 4:3 TV set, no black bars at all unless it's one of those stupid Viz pillarboxed DVDs.

kadmos1 wrote:
Assuming that they do the standard 12-13 episode boxsets for LotGH and that it does get dubbed, it will be definitely a big investment for them because it will take several years to finish.
That's an assumption that's extremely unlikely to come true.

Last edited by Zalis116 on Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
kyokun47

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:24 pm Reply with quote
...I get the feeling I'm the only person here who enjoyed the English dub for Higurashi (moreso over the Japanese track, actually)
jymmy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:22 pm Reply with quote
It's one of the worst dubs I've seen. I first watched it and wanted to claw my ears out, and this was when I still liked more than a small handful of English dubs. Each to their own, though.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:25 pm Reply with quote
LoGH. What do they want from me? $1,000? If they asked they'd get it.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:00 pm Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:

And yet despite people like you and several others existing, you still get "hurr hurr what's gonna sell more, this or Oofuri" jokes from Zac and others.
sargonarhes

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:38 am Reply with quote
Is Mu La Flagga behind this?
The impossible just became possible.

Seen the series, and now I will be able to officially own it.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:16 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
H. Guderian wrote:

And yet despite people like you and several others existing, you still get "hurr hurr what's gonna sell more, this or Oofuri" jokes from Zac and others.

The one thing that worries me is people not buying it if it isn't exactly what they want like no dub or DVD only.

I will be really upset if they don't release the whole thing because people don't buy it for silly reasons like that.

It's an old long ago show so people shouldn't be picky in this case. Obviously I'd rather have the nicest set possible but I will buy it regardless. I've been waiting so long for this it would be silly not to.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9