• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2015 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Random 21

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:14 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Also worthy of special note is opener “Speed and Friction” by PUNCH LINE, which impresses on visual, audio, and lyrical fronts. It could be hard to beat as the season's best opener.

Actually the opener is by Amazarashi, who did Tokyo Ghoul Route A's ED. Dunno why it said Punch Line.

This season has been good so far, hope it keep this momentum up.

Gangsta. - 4/5 I really enjoyed this, I had a few problems with the way it treated it's female characters and the animation is kinda eh but hey, it's manglobe so that was a given. Still a fun show with a nice setting. Also Nicholas is actually awesome I love him.

Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace - 3.5/5 This was a weird and kinda silly show, but enjoyable. I'm a sucker for mystery/detective shows so this is way up my alley, curious to see where this goes.
Blankslate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:14 am Reply with quote
Ranpo Kitan - 4/5 I really dig this show's style. The pacing is a bit off, and the characters have yet to do anything interesting (other than Sim City guy), but it's definitely not enough to turn me off from the series. It's been awhile since I've seen a gritty mystery anime (Psycho Pass is the only one that comes to mind), and any show that can intrigue me is a win in my books.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:29 am Reply with quote
Finally, the coverage is up.

Last edited by Hameyadea on Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:11 pm; edited 4 times in total
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:42 am Reply with quote
Well, the season is definitely starting a lot stronger than spring, and although the bar isn't particularly high, it's still a good thing to say.

Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace. Great atmosphere and interesting aesthetics. So far I'm unimpressed by the characters, but I think if the mysteries are played right, it could be very interesting. At least it seems like an attempt to go back to noitaminA's original purpose, which is great. I'll keep an eye on it. Rated 3.5/5

Gangsta. Definitely getting some really cool Black Lagoon vibes from this one, I loved how the two main characters have this instantaneous chemistry, love Junichi Suwabe's voice work and I really liked Nicholas and the fact that we have a deaf protagonist is novel and exciting. Lots of baddassery to love here. My only concern is the treatment of the female character. Hopefully she'll grow into a much more interesting and proactive role than just being Benriya's hot secretary. I'll rate it 4.5/5 when the preview actually shows up.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:07 am Reply with quote
Okusama ga Seitokaichō!

Well... I had some expectations for this adaptations - not much, but some - and quite honestly, it didn't deliver. The art is there, but I don't feel any "liveliness" (by the lack of a better word) out of it, the lines are somewhat dry, and the voices & tonal ranges of some characters don't fit with their personalities, IMO. At least that's a short-form anime, so I'll give it another episode to see how this show pans out.

Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace

I've seen users mentioning Danganronpa in relation to this show. I haven't had the chance to see it, so I wouldn't know, but the overall art style & BGM, the character interactions (especially Kobayashi's calmness & analytical nature), Hashiba's care for Kobayashi (Is the show trying to signal that Hashiba "cares" for Kobayashi a bit too much? Is it a false flag?) and the inclusion of Sakurai Takahiro as one of the main cast members gives me a strong Psycho-Pass vibe, and I like it.

I also liked how Akechi is using the computer mainly to play SimCity (or so he claims Twisted Evil).

Gansta.

Great BGM, great voice work, great animation. The somewhat randomness of the scenes and the general settings (particularly that of "big fishes duke it out in a small pond") reminded me of Black Lagoon.

So far this show it seems that the show doesn't hold back on the graphical content, and it looks good while doing that.

in the preview of 'Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace', Rebecca Silverman wrote:
Not only does it bring us the latest incarnation of Edogawa's famous boy detective Akechi (well voiced by Tomohiro Sakurai)

Naming error, his name is Sakurai Takahiro.

MOD NOTE: You do not need the GIGANTIC links. Normal font size is fine.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:41 am Reply with quote
So, Okusama ga Seitokaichou looks like it will be eight minutes per week of high school romance cliches laced with bizarre perversion.

Hameyadea wrote:
Really? My connection loaded it instantly... Interesting. Have you thought about upping your connection?

I'm on the best connection that money can buy for my particular location. I've got fibre running all the way to my house, and I'm on an uncapped speed plan. Therefore it is physically impossible for me to upgrade.

The .gif may have loaded instantly for you because it was cached. Or maybe where you live has fast internet speeds. Doesn't matter, the .gif was still unnecessarily large. Just think of those people who view ANN on smartphones and don't want their limited (and expensive) mobile bandwidth to be chewed through on some random picture that adds nothing to the discussion.

If you had posted a link to the image instead, then I wouldn't have had a problem.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:46 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Doesn't matter, the .gif was still unnecessarily large. Just think of those people who view ANN on smartphones and don't want their limited (and expensive) mobile bandwidth to be chewed through on some random picture that adds nothing to the discussion.

On my mobile, gif files don't play automatically and I need to tap on them to start loading & playing them. Aren't all mobiles do that? I've yet to see one that play gifs automatically.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:47 am Reply with quote
Gangsta episode 1 was great! a 10 in my book..

i like series like this..

golgo 13, Black Lagoon. etc.. my type of action series..

not sure if the # of episodes is correct... but i hope it's more than 12 episodes.

golgo 13 has 50 episodes
Black Lagoon has 2 seasons (24 episodes) and Ovas (5 episodes).

after watching gangsta.. had the urge to watch John Wick again. Laughing
Rederoin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:30 am Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:

Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace

I've seen users mentioning Danganronpa in relation to this show. I haven't had the chance to see it, so I wouldn't know, bu

Same director, but since Danganronpa was based on a VN and this loosely based on a novel(in the same way sherlock TV was loosly based on the sherlock novels), its not really a valid comparison, in my opinion.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:35 am Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
Okusama ga Seitokaichō!

Well... I had some expectations for this adaptations - not much, but some - and quite honestly, it didn't deliver. The art is there, but I don't feel any "liveliness" (by the lack of a better word) out of it, the lines are somewhat dry, and the voices & tonal ranges of some characters don't fit with their personalities, IMO. At least that's a short-form anime, so I'll give it another episode to see how this show pans out.

This is a problem I usually have with shorts. They feel like they have no emotion to it, like the VAs are all just trying to finish their lines fast because there's no time and everything's moving. I'll probably watch it until the end because I'm a pervert and it's only 8 minutes weekly, but I can't say I like it.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:25 am Reply with quote
Anxiously awaiting Gangsta reviews; I quite liked the show.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:37 am Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
Anxiously awaiting Gangsta reviews; I quite liked the show.

I keep checking the Funimation page; this isn't available legally yet, right?
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:46 am Reply with quote
Not that I've seen, and I've been checking literally every hour that I've been awake since Wednesday afternoon.

Fansubs are out, but (for everyone else's benefit) we don't use those anymore.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:56 am Reply with quote
Well, for people like us who aren't in USA or Canada we have no choice but use them if it's Funimation (and sometimes with some shows with Crunchyroll that are not in certain countries, but at least they still offer some of them). Either way I'll wait to comment here about those shows until they're in the preview guide to talk about them at the same time.
DuckBait

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:02 pm Reply with quote
sherlock holmes with a 14 year old kid
I had high hopes for this show
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 48