• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Japanese Women Rank Their Favorite Romantic Gestures

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunset In the Hood

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:39 pm Reply with quote
I don't know what megalomanic society you guys live in but being pat on the head is quite affectionate. Its obviously not going to feel good coming from a stranger but coming from someone you want to spend your life with can be sweet and adorable. Who gets pat on the head by their crush and immediately goes "He's treating me like a dog. Bastard. I was wrong all these years."?
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Wow Westerners must be raised completely opposite of Asians. In my family we never once were taught that patting heads was condescending. If anything, it was treated like holding hands. Weird if a stranger does it, but could be seen as romantic if someone you knew very well did it, or just affectionate if done by family or older people like teachers.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:59 pm Reply with quote
All but Ami-Ton I've done with my closest friend or it's been done to me by her, I'm sorry but I see almost none of these as romantic. Also holding hands isn't romantic in the US. You have to literally dry hump, jump on top, or kiss to be anything but platonic or non-romantic.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
All but Ami-Ton I've done with my closest friend or it's been done to me by her, I'm sorry but I see almost none of these as romantic. Also holding hands isn't romantic in the US. You have to literally dry hump, jump on top, or kiss to be anything but platonic or non-romantic.

Then you are hanging out in the wrong crowds in the United States.

Though the body slam against the wall sounds nice. Yes, officer, I was just showing my girlfriend my love. It not my fault that EMS had to dig her out of the crater. Just shoddy wall construction.

But that just shows you how cultures are different. Yanking your girlfriend around by the hand, and pushing & pinning her to the wall in the U.S. are not considered romantic gestures and might get the police involved.
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Lostlorn Forest wrote:

How many people have bugs killed? 0 How many bugs have people killed?? The more you know

Actually my friend's dad died from a bee sting (allergic). So at least one I know of. Idc they're gross and I hate them Anime hyper

I agree though head pats are condescending. I'd feel more like my a puppy or a kid than a girlfriend Sad Plus as someone mentioned, dirty hands in my clean hair... nope lol. I guess it's just different cultures but it really seems like romantic relationships in japan really do idealize some sort of parent / child or master/pet type dynamic. None of these things sound really romantic at all. IDK I guess as an American I'm used to seeing people make out in public so w/e lol.

Arm around shoulder while sitting is my fave tho
Ali07

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Lostlorn Forest wrote:
How many people have bugs killed? 0 How many bugs have people killed?? The more you know

You've never seen My Girl, have you? Laughing

As for the head pat, I guess it depends if you say something? At least, form my experience, if I'm going it sarcastically...always hits home when I say something like, "Good girl". Laughing
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:44 pm Reply with quote
I can't see a head pat anything but condescending. It is something you expressly do with children, so when one adult does it to another, it plainly implies condescension. Around here it would receive any variation of "The hell's your problem?" response.
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it's interesting to see differences. I'm in the USA, and I sometimes condescendingly pet my friend on the head as a joke. I also do it to my boyfriend as a joke when he's being whiny. It's probably the "pet the dog" sort of connection.

As far as romantic gestures I appreciate, hand-holding, arm around the shoulder while sitting, and cheek/forehead pecks are probably my favorite.

Least favorite I encounter randomly is butt smacks. Dear people who randomly smack strangers on the booty, please stop xD I don't even like it if my boyfriend does it.
IchigoKurosakiHollowfi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:39 am Reply with quote
Kobeni-channnnn. *u*
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:50 am Reply with quote
If anything, I'm kind of glad the "sleeve rolling" thing didn't really catch on and has become unpopular now, I found it kind of creepy
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:00 am Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Lostlorn Forest wrote:

You do realize there are many insects that, such as mosquitos, that carry blood born diseases that can spread to humans.

Just because insects do not "actively try to kill people" doesn't mean some exist that can be very harmful to humans.

MAN PEOPLE CAN'T TAKE A JOKE!! Smile
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:29 am Reply with quote
Murder, She wrote:

After tallying the results, the survey ranked Japanese women's most and least favorite romantic gestures. The most popular gesture seems to be "Atama-pon" or "head pat", in which one's lover gently touches their head.

Japanese, especially girls, like to be perceived younger than they really are, so a head-pat like a kid is just what the doctor ordered. Twisted Evil

Anyways, here's another "romantic" gesture that just happened in a handball game:

That awkward moment when anime becomes reality Laughing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58Igq9OEkz4

• These two handball players ended up in an awkward position when they collided on the court. Unfortunately for them, the moment – as well as their amused reaction – was captured and replayed in slow motion all over the internet, giving teenage boys the world over plenty to think about and anime fans reason to believe that their preferred medium of entertainment isn’t quite so removed from reality after all…

In the clip from a handball game in Denmark, the two players run into each other and end up accidentally getting a lot closer than expected, much to their mutual amusement. The game’s commentators – and the referee – seem to notice and enjoy what’s going on, too.

Commentors on the video largely fell into one of the three following groups:

1) “It’s just like one of my Japanese animes!”

“Senpai~!”
    “So the Japanese anime is true!!!”
    “The Anime FALL IS REAL ….”

Conveniently positioned “accidental” falling like this is an anime trope. Think “oops! I fell on your lips”, but simultaneously more innocent and more sexually suggestive.

2) “Wow, that was actually kinda sexy xD”

“two girls _ _”
    “Are they married yet?”

Apparently, some people find pretty women touching each other sexy. Who knew?!

3) Hand-what?

“What sport is this? The one they are all playing… not the one the two were playing.”
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:26 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I never see any couples here in America who pat heads. They lay in each other's lap a lot though, but I find patting someone's head quite cute.
IchigoKurosakiHollowfi wrote:
Kobeni-channnnn. *u*

Kobeni best waifu :3
meruru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:51 am Reply with quote
Lostlorn Forest wrote:

Mosquitoes alone kill over half a million people every year by giving them malaria. Kind of a long way from zero. Also, let me point out not only do bugs kill lots of people, they also contaminate a lot of food because they crap wherever they happen to be. Think about that next time you get a cockroach in your house.

[Edit]: removed unnecessary nested quotes. Please read the quoting guidelines. Errinundra.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:00 am Reply with quote
meruru wrote:
Mosquitoes alone kill over half a million people every year by giving them malaria. Kind of a long way from zero.

Malaria kills over half a million a year, not mosquitoes, they are carriers or should we put people on trial for murder for being ebola carriers?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4