• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[done] Split/Merge: Masaharu Watanabe (#90505)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Masaharu Watanabe currently has one background art credit (kanji is 渡辺正晴), though there also is a different Masaharu Watanabe 渡邊政治 who is currently misread as Seiji Watanabe.

The official Wakaba Girl site romanizes his name as "Masaharu", Sakuga@wiki's page indicates it in furigana, and the "Masaharu" spelling also appears on US releases I've checked (at least ADV's Air and Bandai's The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya). Only sources I've found that use "Seiji" are non-Japanese fan sources.

That should be enough evidence to split Masaharu Watanabe, and then merge Seiji to the animator Masaharu Watanabe. The Sakuga@wiki page, however, also indicates the animator has many credits under the name Gorou Sessha, but as usual has no reference for proof (is it based on fans recognizing his style?).

Last edited by EmperorBrandon on Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Huh. Kannagi has only 1.5 pages of translated staff credits, in the extras. I can't blame them though, if all they had to work with was the on-screen credits as the font is literally unreadable.

ADV don't have any Watanabes for ep 8 of Fumoffu, but then I remember that there were lots of half episodes and one episode wasn't aired. Except that the episode title matches so I'm looking at the right one, but, well...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
braves

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:14 am Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:

That should be enough evidence to split Masaharu Watanabe, and then merge Seiji to the animator Masaharu Watanabe. The Sakuga@wiki page, however, also indicates the animator has many credits under the name Gorou Sessha, but as usual has no reference for proof (is it based on fans recognizing his style?).
Yes, that's right. Also, he directed the Sunny Side Battle OVA short. It was released as DLC for Ultimate Ninja Storm Revolution. There, Watanabe is credited in kanji by his birth name as the episode director. However, in the subs he's credited as Gorou Sessha. So that's pretty much an official confirmation that those two people are the same.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Ok, sounds like good proof. I've gone ahead aliased Sessha.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1