• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: MangaGamer to Release Umineko Visual Novel on Steam

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mizerous

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:08 pm Reply with quote
I would have liked to see the more advanced models at least it's coming out.
ajr

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
I believe I have asked this before, but as someone who isn't exactly interested in the Higurashi franchise, what makes it and Umineko so popular?

I've only ever played the 1st arc of
Higurashi, but it had some of the top use of suspense I've seen in any medium.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
I believe I have asked this before, but as someone who isn't exactly interested in the Higurashi franchise, what makes it and Umineko so popular?

During Ryukishi's writing process Umineko had aspects of both a love letter and an open trolling to the fandom, and said fandom ate up the aspects hook line and sinker.

Another part is the Fan translation which Manga Gamer is going to work with was very well done that even the creator had them acknowledged in a line of the anime.
Mr. Dent

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:33 am Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
1. No voice acting.

The voice acting is owned by Alchemist, who MangaGamer tried to work with on their Higurashi re-release, but were ultimately unable to deal with.

Quote:
2. MangaGamer decided to be really lazy and lift the sprites used in the Umineko pachinko game, and use them for the Steam release.

Well, they previously tried to work with Alchemist to use the PS2/DS/PS3/Vita sprites, but Alchemist apparently vehemently declined. Since Alchemist was unwilling, I imagine that the company who created the Pachinko game was more than willing. I don't think this is in any way lazy, I think it's simply them doing the second best thing after they failed to strike a deal with Alchemist. And they aren't hiding it, they acknowledged that they were the pachinko sprites.

Kadmos1 wrote:

There are two major points, I believe. First, the When They Cry games, despite being horror/mystery, are very sentimental and sweet in nature. Through all the gruesome horror and bizarre mysteries, they both boil down to very emotional morals, with Higurashi being about learning to trust others and know when to ask for help, and Umineko being about refusing to push your pain upon others and about trying to learn to understand the people you disagree with.

Secondly, the characters are brilliant. Higurashi plays with anime tropes, but the characters somehow use the tropes to their advantage and bolster them to new, utterly realistic heights. Umineko is even more realistic, and most of the characters you begin the story disliking end up really feeling like family by the end.
danpmss

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:17 am Reply with quote
Mr. Dent wrote:
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
1. No voice acting.

The voice acting is owned by Alchemist, who MangaGamer tried to work with on their Higurashi re-release, but were ultimately unable to deal with.

Quote:
2. MangaGamer decided to be really lazy and lift the sprites used in the Umineko pachinko game, and use them for the Steam release.

Well, they previously tried to work with Alchemist to use the PS2/DS/PS3/Vita sprites, but Alchemist apparently vehemently declined. Since Alchemist was unwilling, I imagine that the company who created the Pachinko game was more than willing. I don't think this is in any way lazy, I think it's simply them doing the second best thing after they failed to strike a deal with Alchemist. And they aren't hiding it, they acknowledged that they were the pachinko sprites.

Kadmos1 wrote:

There are two major points, I believe. First, the When They Cry games, despite being horror/mystery, are very sentimental and sweet in nature. Through all the gruesome horror and bizarre mysteries, they both boil down to very emotional morals, with Higurashi being about learning to trust others and know when to ask for help, and Umineko being about refusing to push your pain upon others and about trying to learn to understand the people you disagree with.

Secondly, the characters are brilliant. Higurashi plays with anime tropes, but the characters somehow use the tropes to their advantage and bolster them to new, utterly realistic heights. Umineko is even more realistic, and most of the characters you begin the story disliking end up really feeling like family by the end.

This and also the espectacular storytelling (especially in Umineko).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2