• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2006-11-24]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:30 pm Reply with quote
good_night wrote:
The show the "Flake of the Week" is referencing is called Aquarian Age: Sign for Evolution, and ADV Films released a thinpak of it earlier this year. The english cast was headed up by Monica Rial and Chris Patton, and supported by Greg Ayres, Luci Christian, Vic Mignogna, Hilary Haag, Mariela Ortiz, Andy McAvin, Chrisine Auten, and me.
Yours,
Lauren Goodnight

So another ADV dub which is headed up by the same ADV voice actors, and supported by other ADV voice actors, again. Hehe Smile
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:52 pm Reply with quote
It's always been to my understanding that a "comic book" was a single issue about 30 pages long and a "graphic novel" was either a long one-shot atleast 70-100 pages long or a collection of a bunch of single issues of a comic book.

9 times out of 10 manga is in "graphic novel" format.
DriftRoot

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Unholy_Nny wrote:
It's always been to my understanding that a "comic book" was a single issue about 30 pages long and a "graphic novel" was either a long one-shot atleast 70-100 pages long or a collection of a bunch of single issues of a comic book.

And then, of course, you have to throw in things like Vampire Hunter D, which is usually termed a graphic novel because it contains some illustrations, but is definately NOT manga. Sin City also is termed a graphic novel, but it's not manga, and I can think of a few other books out there with illustrations that would never, ever be called graphic novels (no matter what side of the Pacific you're on).

So there IS a bit of a difference between the two terms, I'd say. Maybe we're bastardizing "graphic novel" too much in an attempt to make manga seem more legit and less comic booky. I personally do not like calling manga graphic novels whatsoever. Manga is manga - it's not just a type of reading, it's a very definite form of Japanese "comic book."
Nunka

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:20 pm Reply with quote
DriftRoot wrote:
Unholy_Nny wrote:

And then, of course, you have to throw in things like Vampire Hunter D, which is usually termed a graphic novel because it contains some illustrations, but is definately NOT manga. Sin City also is termed a graphic novel, but it's not manga, and I can think of a few other books out there with illustrations that would never, ever be called graphic novels (no matter what side of the Pacific you're on).

So there IS a bit of a difference between the two terms, I'd say. Maybe we're bastardizing "graphic novel" too much in an attempt to make manga seem more legit and less comic booky. I personally do not like calling manga graphic novels whatsoever. Manga is manga - it's not just a type of reading, it's a very definite form of Japanese "comic book."

That's about where I stand on this whole silly mess. American comic books are comic books; Japanese comic books, regardless of their length or binding, are manga; and novels with illustrations are graphic novels.

It's all just semantics anyway.
jgreen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:41 pm Reply with quote
When the word was originally coined, a "graphic novel" was a standalone work that was originally published in the thicker, bound format. A collection of previously released material (say, a book that collects 6 issues of Spider-Man) is more typically called a "trade paperback" or a "trade." But as time goes on, those words are becoming more or less interchageable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Nunka wrote:
novels with illustrations are graphic novels.

No.

A novel with illustrations is a novel, with illustrations. It is not a graphic novel.

Sandman vol. 1 is a graphic novel. Ultimates vol. 1 is a graphic novel.

Harry Potter books have illustrations. They are not graphic novels.
Toshirodragon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Cowboy Bebop is a fight anime?? Did he order the same discs I did? Or did CN do some really bad evil to them?

Personally I would LOVE to see Honey and Clover, Ouran Host Club, Princees Princess and several others on Cartoon Network but I really don't think they NEED to be on adult swim. However until such time as CN decides to ask my opinion I shall continue to watch Naruto, Trinity Blood and Bleach.. all of which I watched before they licensed, along with the great shoujo and shounen that I am currently following.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Regarding "comic books" vs. "graphic novels":

I've always been under the impression that "graphic novel" is the term to refer to the collected 'books' and "comic books" tend to refer to the smaller 30 or so page issues.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Nunka wrote:
and novels with illustrations are graphic novels.

That's an illustrated novel, not a graphic novel.The idea behind the term "graphic novel" is to say that you have a novel that is expressed graphically.

One point that I think Zac missed out on is usage, "graphic novel" often refers to bound, collected comics. You'd rarely hear someone refer to to a 128 page, stapled comic-book comic book as a graphic novel. But this is a semantic, since, while rare, people do use the term that way.

"Sequential Art" has a legitimate use, but I dislike it when overly pretentious comic book fans/creators try to use it to make comic books sound "better." "Sequential Art" refers quite simply to the art sequence panel to panel and page to page. When an editor says "We're looking for people who are able to draw good sequential art, not just single panels and poses," that's a legitimate use of the term. When someone says "It isn't a comic-book, it's sequential art," thats total bullcrap (and no, they aren't synonyms).

-t
jgreen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
That being said, I do far prefer the term "graphic novel" to "sequential art", the über-pretentious term favoured by Scott McCloud groupies.

Clarification: Scott McCloud does not use the term "sequential art", he uses the term "comics". In fact, the entire first chapter of his book "Understanding Comics" discusses why he doesn't like the term "sequential art". He defines "comics" as "juxtaposed pictorial and other images in deliberate sequence, intended to convey information and/or produce an aesthetic response in the viewer".

It was Will Eisner, one of the true masters of the comics form (Scott McCloud is a very smart guy, to be sure, but he isn't half the comics creator that Eisner was), who coined the term in his book "Comics & Sequential Art".

Personally, I like the term "graphic novel", as it's far more descriptive than "comic book", considering most "comic books" aren't all that comical.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FlamingPinecone

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:40 pm Reply with quote
lets play a game: what is the cat listening too?

i think its Lou Reeds "Metal Machine Music" (wikipedia it) and quite frankly the cats reaction is less violent than most which is why the record is banned in 16 states.

also there are few mature titles that are honestly adult without using curse words and blood, example most adult swim comedy. but the anime on AS sans inuyasha and bleach is usually pretty adult all around. go kim mannings.

fawhooosh!
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:50 pm Reply with quote
I'll throw in a comment too on the Adult Swim Anime.

We forgot to mention Eureka seveN. It has very little action. In the past 10 episodes(episodes 20-30), maybe 4 of them had action, and only 2 actually involve mechs. In the late teens, there was 3 or 4 episode story arc of no fighting at all, just relaxing in a cave, dealing with feelings and drama. It's very slow-paced, but in a good way. It doesn't have 15 episodes in a row of action after action. No filler either.

It probably throws people off because it looks at first to be a typical shounen mecha anime. But it isn't. It's by Studio BONES, who did Fullmetal Alchemist and Wolf's Rain. It's their first original, not based on an existing manga, so they got to be original with it. But it doesn't fall as easily into the cliches of "fighting anime" like DBZ and Bleach(which isn't a fighter either).

(Yes I know I totally went on a generic rant on how good E7 is to me.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
FlamingPinecone

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:52 pm Reply with quote
as for the "graphic novels' "comic books" "manga" ect debate far as im concerned it's just semantics but as a person who is persuing a career in the comic drawing business, a fan instructing other fans to call my work a specific name would anger me. i have been completely turned of to an artist work based on fans alone (ie: Mars Volta, ICP) being unrepentant asses.

so please dont be jerks.

fawhoooosh!
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:14 pm Reply with quote
good_night wrote:
The show the "Flake of the Week" is referencing is called Aquarian Age: Sign for Evolution, and ADV Films released a thinpak of it earlier this year. The english cast was headed up by Monica Rial and Chris Patton, and supported by Greg Ayres, Luci Christian, Vic Mignogna, Hilary Haag, Mariela Ortiz, Andy McAvin, Chrisine Auten, and me.
Yours,
Lauren Goodnight

that IS Aquarian Age!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Best kitten ever.

Excellent column this week Zac and great to have you back! Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving.

I think your response regarding the state of animation was dead on. Sure most animated shows and films here in the US are still being aimed at children or at best teens, but it's clear that an effort is being made to appeal to a more mature audience too. Part of that is the inclusion of social commentary in animation (although good lord I wish they'd tone it down. Some of them are as bad as Miyazaki with bashing you over the head with the message. I get it! You don't want me to hunt or pollute, stop badgering me so I can enjoy the freaking movie already!)

I completely agree that animation doesn't have to emulate live-action in order to be legitimate and, personally, I hope it doesn't start trying to. Live-action series, at least here in the US, are mostly predictable and boring. Or they are one long death watch. Battlestar Galactica is one of the few series on right now that actually has some substance and a degree of unpredictability to it. Sure characters die, but it doesn't feel like the writers just spun a roulette wheel of death.

The rant isn't very well put together, but I'd like to see more variety on [adult swim] too. I think it's coming on it's own though. The current line-up isn't nearly as fighting oriented as the ranter seems to think and the programmers are definitely open to experiments (like the whole Shin-Chan thing.)

First thing to do if you want different anime on the air is to buy and support all the experimental, shoujo, dramatic, etc series that are released on DVD. No one's going to put something on the air unless they think people will watch. High sales figures for similar series will encourage experimentation.

Part of the reason we don't have companies licensing more shoujo and such type series is that people haven't been buying what has been licensed. (I've put my wallet where my mouth is, now it's your turn!)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8