• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2006-11-24]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:31 pm Reply with quote
indrik wrote:
So- do people get mad when you give things bad reviews?

I'm guessing the distributors are not stupid and that they know when they have a marginal title or even a stinker on their hands. Perhaps no publicity is worse than bad publicity. If the title had no redeeming features, I'd guess that they wouldn't make a review copy available. Hopefully, if they think it's a real loser they won't license it in the first place. Although, I guess a few do sneak through somehow.

Dargonxtc wrote:
I love you Zac!!!!!

Well. Answerman stalker in the making.......? Anime exclamation
jgreen

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:36 pm Reply with quote
ManOfRust wrote:
I'm guessing the distributors are not stupid and that they know when they have a marginal title or even a stinker on their hands. Perhaps no publicity is worse than bad publicity. If the title had no redeeming features, I'd guess that they wouldn't make a review copy available. Hopefully, if they think it's a real loser they won't license it in the first place. Although, I guess a few do sneak through somehow.

Hollywood has started a trend of late where a lot of bad movies aren't being screened for critics before release in hopes that the movie can still eke out a decent opening weekend before word gets out of how crappy it is. Roger Ebert likes to give these movies the "wagging finger of shame" as opposed to a thumb up or down. From Wikipedia....

From 2005 to 2006, the show experimented with a "Wagging Finger of Shame" feature, denoting films which were not made available for a standard advance screening. Generally this is considered an indicator of low confidence by the distributor in the production. Films so highlighted included The Amityville Horror, The Fog, In the Mix, Æon Flux, Underworld: Evolution, and Date Movie. The segment was discontinued when Ebert decided the studios were not taking it seriously. Roeper has commented that too many films (eleven in 2006 by April, compared to two by that date in 2005) are being withheld from critics.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:23 am Reply with quote
[quote="Zalis116"]
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:

I hate to be sexist, but I see a lot of girls getting up and leaving the club meeting room or convention viewing rooms if we're not showing something with pretty boys like Death Note or Ouran. By that same token, guys aren't willing to give shows like Ouran or D.N. Angel a chance. Fans of both genders tend to avoid the heavily dramatic/moé series like Air and Kanon just because they're supposedly slow/boring. Traditional shoujo anime just doesn't seem to be as significant as it was back when shows like Sailor Moon, Fushigi Yuugi, and Utena were being released, perhaps because female fans have moved on to the boys' love sub-genre. The increased availability of manga creates a lot of series like Aishiteru ze Baby where the manga is marketable enough to girls, but the anime DVDs would never sell that well because girls don't buy as many DVDs and guys are far more likely to buy things like Ghost in the Shell or the latest Gundam than a cutesy series about a high school boy caring for his young cousin.

I have to say I'm a guy that falls into your assertion. But I rather think that just like TV or video games, I simply watch/play what I like and stick with it. Straying with something new every once in a while.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of having philosophical ideals and social commentary in anime, it simply has a way of boring me, sad to say. Shows like BSG I just don't "get it". Call me some dumb little kid, but I like something that's peppy and energetic and keeps my attention. Yeah I like One Piece (although not just for the action, but it's tense drama, and clever character concepts) but I did like Lain and Ghost in the Shell, especially the latter because I appreciated the finer points in the series (the music and animation).

I'm simply more enertained when I'm just watching a series and enjoying the ride rather than when a show makes you sit there and think. I wouldn't say it's like this for EVERY SERIES, and a little thinking and pondering never hurt, it's just a matter of preference.

Hope that makes sense, I'm tired.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:31 am Reply with quote
Back to the "graphic novel" issue:

As a general rule, it's the publishing format which determines this desgination. Pretty nearly any comic-type publication that's bound rather than stapled can be called a "graphic novel," regardless of what it is. For this reason, the collected publications that are called "tankouban" in Japan are very commonly classified as "graphic novels" on most online stores and websites that deal with such material. (Heck, ANN also uses that classification.) Bound collections of American comic books can also technically be called "graphic novels," although, as others have pointed out, they are usually called "trade paperbacks" or "collected editions" instead.

True American "graphic novels," which have been around at least since the early '80s, have typically been one-shot comics published in bound format, with extra-long length and glossy pages. Often these have been spin-offs of, or introductions for, major comic book series. Marvel Comic's 1982 publication X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills, which was partly the basis for the second X-Men movie and is widely-regarded as one of the two best X-Men stories ever, is a classic example. (And you want to talk about social relevance? That one's still as hard-hitting now as it was 24 years ago.) Normal novels which have a lot of illustrations are definitely not graphic novels, although I'll agree that major online stores sometimes lump them into the same category.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ChikaraFire

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Trigun, Fullmetal Alchemist, Neon Genesis Evangelion and Rurouni Kenshin

not really all that fighting IMO Confused
Naruto? yes Bleach? sure FMA? not
and anime was on YTV before spongebob. Sailor Moon and Pokemon were what got alot of people into it in the first place.
Quote:
Does it have to air in YTV, Nickelodeon or Adult Swim in order for people to like it

no, looking at forums and sub groups show that there is quite a healthy like for shojo, horror, drama etc.

Quote:
First thing to do if you want different anime on the air is to buy and support all the experimental, shoujo, dramatic, etc series that are released on DVD. No one's going to put something on the air unless they think people will watch

and as found in previous threads the population for shojo may be doing well in manga (aquisitions prove the companies are noticing) but anime's more equal so they get less specific genres

"graphic novel" is something i took to be 100+ pages in a bound format or a series, origin is not a factor
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:13 pm Reply with quote
actually a Graphic Novel" is usually a Collection of more than one issue, not just a comic. hence the term.
indrik

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:59 pm Reply with quote
We always called comics that were bound, longer than the standard 24-odd pages, and printed on nice stock graphic novels.

Reprints of other comics, like collections of other issues, were trade paperbacks.

Boy, there was a term for 24-pagers that were bound and glossy. I can't think of it, though.
jgreen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:22 pm Reply with quote
indrik wrote:
Boy, there was a term for 24-pagers that were bound and glossy. I can't think of it, though.

Usually, people just call them "comic books", but other common slang terms include "pamphlets" or "floppies."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kouji

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Shounen anime is dominant on American TV because the majority of mainstream anime fans are teenage males and most teenage males prefer action shows like DBZ and Naruto over slice of life dramas like Fruits Basket or Air. That's not to say that all mainstream anime fans are teenage males or that they all prefer shounen anime over other genres, but that's what the majority of them do or at least the ones who are most vocal about their hobby do. Also, shounen anime tends to be longer than most shoujo anime or slice of life dramas and if something is a hit, the networks are going to want to milk it for all its worth and it's easier to milk a long action show like Naruto than a shorter shoujo anime like Escaflowne.

I'm sure CN would love to air a wider variety of anime on TV. I mean, Sailor Moon was one of their biggest hits on Toonami for years, despite being a shoujo series, but right now even though anime is slowly starting to become more accepted by mainstream pop culture, it's still considered to be largely a niche market. The networks aren't going to be so willing to take risks with more "daring titles" when you're dealing with an already niche market. They're going to want to stick with what they know will sell because that's what they feel is the safest to stick with. I'm sure once (or more like if) anime becomes more popular, you'll start to see a wider variety of anime on TV, but until then you have to make do with what you have because that's what sells. You also have to remember that not everybody likes the same things you do. My 11 year old cousin and I both love anime but I don't obsess over DBZ as much as he does (though I do enjoy it from time to time when I'm the mood) and he doesn't expect me to and likewise I don't expect him to like Ah My Goddess as much as I do, but we both respect each other's different opinions.

If you want other genres of anime to become more popular, it's your responsibility as a fan to introduce other people to it. If you introduce them to it and they still don't have any interest to it, then just move onto something else. You can't expect everybody to like the same things as you do. If everybody had the same opinion as everybody else, the world would be a very boring place. Why is it that anime fans always complain about how anime isn't popular enough on American TV and then whenever an anime series does become popular they complain about how over-rated it is and how it sucks that whatever random favorite underground title is their favorite isn't popular? Maybe I should submit a rant to Answerman about why can't anime fans learn to get over themselves and accept that not everybody likes the same things that they do....just some food for thought here.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
Also, shounen anime tends to be longer than most shoujo anime or slice of life dramas and if something is a hit, the networks are going to want to milk it for all its worth and it's easier to milk a long action show like Naruto than a shorter shoujo anime like Escaflowne.
Quite true about shounen being longer. Although that isn't necessarily a major problem, since [adult swim] is currently airing Trinity Blood, which is only 24 and they've aired FLCL, which is only 6. It really has more to do with the "can we get the guys to watch" factor.

I'd love to see them air the uncut version of Escaflowne. Despite being geared toward females, it has great action and a dark seriousness that could bring in plenty of guys. (Some of the battles in it are breathtaking.)

Wish it had been longer though. It's a great series.

Kouji wrote:
The networks aren't going to be so willing to take risks with more "daring titles" when you're dealing with an already niche market.
Even the licensing companies don't want to deviate too far from the sure deals. The licensing costs are too high right now. The Japanese went from charging way too little per episode to charging way too much. (The fan base is growing slowly though, so this problem will hopefully become less of a big deal as time goes on.)

Kouji wrote:
Why is it that anime fans always complain about how anime isn't popular enough on American TV and then whenever an anime series does become popular they complain about how over-rated it is and how it sucks that whatever random favorite underground title is their favorite isn't popular? Maybe I should submit a rant to Answerman about why can't anime fans learn to get over themselves and accept that not everybody likes the same things that they do....just some food for thought here.
Sounds like a good rant. It'd probably inspire some good debating in the talkback section. Go for it!
Steroid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
If everybody had the same opinion as everybody else, the world would be a very boring place.

Everyone says this, but is it true? If everybody had the same opinion, I think life would be quite exciting because other people who had different experiences could tell me what they thought of them, and then I could know to avoid or attempt them with full confidence in my enjoyment.

Quote:
Why is it that anime fans always complain about how anime isn't popular enough on American TV and then whenever an anime series does become popular they complain about how over-rated it is and how it sucks that whatever random favorite underground title is their favorite isn't popular? Maybe I should submit a rant to Answerman about why can't anime fans learn to get over themselves and accept that not everybody likes the same things that they do....just some food for thought here.

Because popularity is too often inversely proportional to quality. If an anime has themes that are complicated or hard to understand or controversial, it will turn off some viewers and leave only an underground. Inversely, a show that speaks a lot without having a message will attract the sort of people who don't want a message, but just want to kill 24 minutes. What I want is shows that turn the latter group into the former. Or, at least, fool them into buying so that the underground can use the economies of scale involved with a larger group to get more value out of the production.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Everyone says this, but is it true? If everybody had the same opinion, I think life would be quite exciting because other people who had different experiences could tell me what they thought of them, and then I could know to avoid or attempt them with full confidence in my enjoyment.

There would be no individuality, no free thought, no uniqueness amongst people which an aspect of freedom that most people on this planet treasure. We'd all be the same person, and anyone who finds that an appealing prospect is obviously too stuck on themselves to really have any objective input on the matter. I wouldn't want a world of me's, yes, I think that would make for a very boring society.

Quote:
Because popularity is too often inversely proportional to quality. If an anime has themes that are complicated or hard to understand or controversial, it will turn off some viewers and leave only an underground. Inversely, a show that speaks a lot without having a message will attract the sort of people who don't want a message, but just want to kill 24 minutes. What I want is shows that turn the latter group into the former. Or, at least, fool them into buying so that the underground can use the economies of scale involved with a larger group to get more value out of the production.

And this of course is a commonly used and pointless excuse of sorts. Like it or not anime or a specific title within anime isn't popular because many people just aren't interested and don't like it. You can't force people to like something and whether or not you think it's great is irrelevent to them, they can make that judgement for themselves. People have different tastes, you can't just trick them or make them adopt your own just so you can have the benefit of their added income. It's a tragedy that some titles get lost because they just don't bring in enough popularity to fund further releases or production, but that's just how it is, if people don't like it then they don't like it, it is their right to make that choice. Though honestly, it's hard to argue with someone so obviously set on the idea that freedom of thought and individuality is actually a bad thing.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Oh goodie, Steroid is here!
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Oh goodie, Steroid is here!

Quick! Evacuate the children!
jgreen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
I wouldn't want a world of me's, yes, I think that would make for a very boring society.

This makes me think of the episode of Seinfeld where Jerry starts dating Jeanene Garafalo, and is at first in love with the idea that she's a female version of him, but it doesn't take him long before he concludes "I can't be with someone like me--I hate myself!"

heh

Keonyn wrote:
And this of course is a commonly used and pointless excuse of sorts. Like it or not anime or a specific title within anime isn't popular because many people just aren't interested and don't like it. You can't force people to like something and whether or not you think it's great is irrelevent to them, they can make that judgement for themselves. People have different tastes, you can't just trick them or make them adopt your own just so you can have the benefit of their added income. It's a tragedy that some titles get lost because they just don't bring in enough popularity to fund further releases or production, but that's just how it is, if people don't like it then they don't like it, it is their right to make that choice. Though honestly, it's hard to argue with someone so obviously set on the idea that freedom of thought and individuality is actually a bad thing.

I will say that I think Steroid had a point when he said "Because popularity is too often inversely proportional to quality" (emphasis mine). It is true that often the most popular things in any medium are the ones that appeal to the lowest common denominator. And yes, a lot of the biggest anime series aren't exactly the most intellectually stimulating, but at the same time, there are plenty of popular series that DO fit that bill: Evangelion, Akira, the Miyazaki empire, Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Bebop, just to name a few.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8