• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2006-11-24]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gauss

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:17 pm Reply with quote
MUPPET CAT! Woohooo!! Luv you Zac, you're not a cynic after all. But you do start sounding a bit weary of your job. 8 or 9 pages of replies? Countdown to 2000 e-mails? Not free? Guess things are starting to feel predictable and samey. But never fear, when you least expect it there'll always be the Spanish inquisition.
Steroid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
There would be no individuality, no free thought, no uniqueness amongst people which an aspect of freedom that most people on this planet treasure. We'd all be the same person, and anyone who finds that an appealing prospect is obviously too stuck on themselves to really have any objective input on the matter. I wouldn't want a world of me's, yes, I think that would make for a very boring society.

But there's a difference between everyone being forced to act the same way and between people choosing the same values. We're all living in the same world, in the human condition, so there are some universal principles. And I think the world would be interesting if all we had was those universals.

Quote:
And this of course is a commonly used and pointless excuse of sorts. Like it or not anime or a specific title within anime isn't popular because many people just aren't interested and don't like it. You can't force people to like something and whether or not you think it's great is irrelevent to them, they can make that judgement for themselves. People have different tastes, you can't just trick them or make them adopt your own just so you can have the benefit of their added income. It's a tragedy that some titles get lost because they just don't bring in enough popularity to fund further releases or production, but that's just how it is, if people don't like it then they don't like it, it is their right to make that choice. Though honestly, it's hard to argue with someone so obviously set on the idea that freedom of thought and individuality is actually a bad thing.

I'm all for freedom of thought, but not so much for freedom from thought. And individuality means you actually have to craft a personality, not just soak up the pabulum and pretend that it's a considered choice. If I can trick the people who do, I consider it a good thing. For both of us: I get another boost to the market and they get to experience something deeper. But while people have the right to choose mediocrity over excellence, I don't have to celebrate it.
indrik

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:57 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
indrik wrote:
Boy, there was a term for 24-pagers that were bound and glossy. I can't think of it, though.

Usually, people just call them "comic books", but other common slang terms include "pamphlets" or "floppies."

No, it was like "prestige format" or something like that.
jgreen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:00 pm Reply with quote
indrik wrote:
jgreen wrote:
indrik wrote:
Boy, there was a term for 24-pagers that were bound and glossy. I can't think of it, though.

Usually, people just call them "comic books", but other common slang terms include "pamphlets" or "floppies."

No, it was like "prestige format" or something like that.

D'oh! I totally missed the "bound and glossy" part of your post. I'm an idiot.

Anyway, yeah, "prestige format" is the correct term, although typically prestige format books are a little longer (usually 48 or 64 pages instead of the standard 32) and usually don't have advertisements either.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JaxsonJaguar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:51 am Reply with quote
Concerning the flake, it sounds to me like they are describing Pretear. But I could be wrong.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:29 am Reply with quote
JaxsonJaguar wrote:
Concerning the flake, it sounds to me like they are describing Pretear. But I could be wrong.

Someone else already answered it:

good_night wrote:
The show the "Flake of the Week" is referencing is called Aquarian Age: Sign for Evolution, and ADV Films released a thinpak of it earlier this year. The english cast was headed up by Monica Rial and Chris Patton, and supported by Greg Ayres, Luci Christian, Vic Mignogna, Hilary Haag, Mariela Ortiz, Andy McAvin, Chrisine Auten, and me.
Yours,
Lauren Goodnight
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
JackBassV

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:09 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Whereas McCloud uses 'sequential art' as a synonym for comics, but it should be noted that McCloud outright defined single panel comics (like family Circus and most political cartoons) as not comics, but "cartoons."
-t

Strange, Single panel "comics" have been called cartoons in the UK for over 200 years.

In fact the (normally) 4 panel "comics" you find in newspapers are also cartoons (as opposed to comics).

Comic books have always referred to short page count publications with paper covers, normally stapled, whereas Graphic Novels are perfect bound with a cardboard or hardback cover. Trade Paperback refers to collections of comic books in a single volume, also perfect bound with cardboard cover.

Manga refers to Japanese Comics, irrespective of the published form.

I thought the prestige format referred to short page count publications with non-standard covers and/or bindings. I have a couple of prestige format comics with metallised covers, held together by normal staples, and one (now missing) which was sewn together Confused

JBV^_^
Strephon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:21 am Reply with quote
While it's possible that the term has been applied to other formats, I've most often heard Prestige Format used to refer to square-bound, glued comics with cardstock covers. This has also been known in the past as "bookshelf format" and "Dark Knight format" ("The Dark Knight Returns" was the first high-profile comic released in this format).

I've personally never heard the term applied to comics with cover enhancements (of which there were a great deal in the '90s); perhaps the term is used differently in different countries?
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:07 am Reply with quote
Quote:
But there's a difference between everyone being forced to act the same way and between people choosing the same values. We're all living in the same world, in the human condition, so there are some universal principles. And I think the world would be interesting if all we had was those universals.

The only way everyone would adopt the exact same style and principals is if they were forced. I personally don't think that world would be interesting, for the same reasons I listed, we'd all be the same people with little to no individuality, variety, or uniqueness. Some people might think that sounds so incredibly good, but I would think the vast majority think otherwise.

Quote:
I'm all for freedom of thought, but not so much for freedom from thought. And individuality means you actually have to craft a personality, not just soak up the pabulum and pretend that it's a considered choice. If I can trick the people who do, I consider it a good thing. For both of us: I get another boost to the market and they get to experience something deeper. But while people have the right to choose mediocrity over excellence, I don't have to celebrate it.

That's just it, it's not mediocre to them and what you think is excellence might be mediocre to them. It's mediocrity over excellence only to you and everyone else still has the right to make that decision the same way you've made that decision and the simple fact you've made the determination doesn't make it true or false or fact, because it's your opinion and nothing more. Like it or not your little opinion holds no more weight than theirs.

Also people look for different things in entertainment, while something might seem mediocre to you because it doesn't have what you're looking for, to them what you push on them seems mediocre because that simply isn't what they're looking for in a series. Not to mention the idea of tricking people in to liking something deep is ridiculous. The simple fact that you don't seem to comprehend is that you aren't god, and you don't decide what is good or bad for anyone but yourself and the simple fact you make that determination doesn't make it so. You're not some mighty lord who is in a position of great wisdom to tell us all what to think, you're just you, like it or not. Now the sheer factor that someone with your ridiculous ideals is not going to celebrate something gives me all the more reason to celebrate it, hooray for free thought and individuality, down with elitism.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kouji

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:36 am Reply with quote
Steroid wrote:
But while people have the right to choose mediocrity over excellence, I don't have to celebrate it.
So, would you rather have a bunch of "mediocre" shounen action anime with high quality dubs airing on TV or would you rather have us go back to the Robotech days of the '80s when the only anime airing on TV were crappy dubs of sci-fi series? And it's funny that people label FMA and NGE as being "mediocre" action shows and act as if the great, oh-so perfect land of Japan has such superior tastes in anime compared to Americans yet FMA was number one on TV Asahi's top 100 most favorite anime series poll in Japan and NGE was number two. I guess Japan must like mediocre anime, too....

Last edited by Kouji on Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:36 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
The only way everyone would adopt the exact same style and principals is if they were forced. I personally don't think that world would be interesting, for the same reasons I listed, we'd all be the same people with little to no individuality, variety, or uniqueness. Some people might think that sounds so incredibly good, but I would think the vast majority think otherwise.
I don't disagree with anything you've said in your post, although I think you were a tad harsh on Steroid, but one thing struck me about this whole "everyone thinking alike" debate. If everyone were forced to share the same style and principals, wouldn't we have obtained world peace?

If everyone were part of the same cultural/social order, wouldn't we have an almost Utopian world without war or most crime? It would be boring, extremely restrictive, and probably developmentally stagnant, but wouldn't it also be incredibly peaceful?

Is peace worth having if you must sacrifice individuality and freedom to obtain it? Is freedom acceptable if it means people are free to chose to be cruel, useless, violent or stupid?

Am I being way too philosophical for this time of the day?
konohamaru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Just in case this wasn't satirical-

Richard J. wrote

Quote:
If everyone were forced to share the same style and principles (ed.), wouldn't we have obtained world peace?

Um, short answer, no we'd have a military state.
Enforced peace isn't really peace is it? I can't recall any incidents of enforced "peace" actually resulting in a stable, peaceful society. Revolution and war, yes; peace, no.

Quote:
If everyone were part of the same cultural/social order, wouldn't we have an almost Utopian world without war or most crime?

Okay, why do we still not get that it is not about making everyone the same it's about awareness and acceptance of our differences?

Quote:
Is peace worth having if you must sacrifice individuality and freedom to obtain it? Is freedom acceptable if it means people are free to choose to be cruel, useless, violent or stupid?

When humanity evolves enough to actually create and maintain world peace we will, almost universally, have grown beyond the desire to make negative choices like these. At that point it will no longer be a question of obtaining peace, it just will be.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:48 pm Reply with quote
I was being about 60% satirical.
konohamaru wrote:
Um, short answer, no we'd have a military state.
Enforced peace isn't really peace is it? I can't recall any incidents of enforced "peace" actually resulting in a stable, peaceful society. Revolution and war, yes; peace, no.
Generally, most military states can sustain themselves until their repressive structure causes inevitable breakdowns. The Soviet Union managed to remain a world power for quite some time before it's collapse, which had less to do with internal revolution and more to do with the fact that communism doesn't actually work very well.

We actually have quite a few dictatorships in the world right now that are managing to function rather well and typically they don't like dissenting opinions. Revolutions usually require outside support (we Americans had the French of all people backing us in our Revolution.)

Many people feel that a repressive peace is better than a war of revolution.

Also, it's surprisingly easy to control people through nothing more than the preception of authority. There's a rather infamous experiment where school teachers were told to administer progessively more painful electric shocks to people they couldn't see if they answered questions incorrectly. The point of the experiment was to determine if these oridinary people, ordered to do something, would do it even if they knew they were causing pain and possibly even killing someone. (No one was really being shocked, but the teachers didn't know that. Some stopped, but many kept shocking even when they heard screams.)

konohamaru wrote:
Okay, why do we still not get that it is not about making everyone the same it's about awareness and acceptance of our differences?
Never said anything about wanting everyone to be the same. Believe me, that way of thinking strikes me as insane. Having differences in culture and belief allows for societies to draw from a richly diverse pool of wisdom, bringing about amazing things.

Having said that, cultural differences do lead inevitably to conflicts. You have to admit, if everyone were the same, all violence caused by such differences would cease to exist. You can't have racism if everyone is the same race, right? As I pointed out, the other side of the coin is developmental stagnation. The trade off, in my mind, isn't worth it.

konohamaru wrote:
When humanity evolves enough to actually create and maintain world peace we will, almost universally, have grown beyond the desire to make negative choices like these. At that point it will no longer be a question of obtaining peace, it just will be.
This is a belief I share with you. History shows we are trying to become less violent and cruel. Humanity will likely move beyond our darker side eventually.

Mostly I was just thinking in my post that, technically, world peace and a Utopia could be obtained if everyone thought, acted, and were the same. It's just the cost of obtaining it that way would be enormous.

However, there are plenty of people in this world who believe that the way to having peace IS to force everyone to think in only one manner.
Kouji

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:50 pm Reply with quote
If everyone was made to think the same, sure we might stop all the fighting, but I don't think we'd have real peace. Sure, there'd be no more wars, but because we never would experience pain, we'd all become selfish, arrogant, and ungrateful. That's not to say that I think wars are ok to have, but if we never experienced any pain, how would we know what peace was? How would we know that living in a utopia were everyone thought the same and there was no killing is real peace if we don't experience the alternative? It's like when you tell a child not to touch a hot stove while it's on. Even if you tell them not to touch it, they'll still do it anyway to find out why they shouldn't. But after they do finally give into temptation and touch it, they'll know not to touch it ever again and be more grateful to never do it again because they'll know why from a first-hand experience. That's not to say that pain is a good thing or that I wouldn't like world peace, but peace is a relief from the pain and suffering we face. Even if all pain stopped, if pain never existed, how could we experience a relief from that pain if we never had it? Just like how you can't have light without shadows, you can't have peace without pain. It's equivalent exchange. Besides, if we didn't have pain or wars, where would we get all the plots for anime? Razz

Last edited by Kouji on Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Swissman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Zac Bertschy wrote:
Take a look at any one of Miyazaki's films; if there's a message in there, by god you will know what it is by the end, because odds are he'll spend 2 and a half hours telling you in the most obvious way possible. Don't get me wrong - obviously he is a master storyteller, but watch Princess Mononoke and tell me he isn't being at least a little heavy-handed with his message.

Which message do you mean? There are many messages in Mononoke Hime.

Quote:
Hell, his colleague at Ghibli, Isao Takahata, directed probably the most ridiculously over-the-top eco-movie ever, Pom Poko Tanuki. That movie is like 8 hours long and every second of it are designed to tell you that the ENVIRONMENT IS IMPORTANT, WEEP FOR THE TANUKI!

Well, here again, that's just ONE of many messages the film tries to convey. More important than the whole blatant enviroment stick is actually the more hidden message about Japan's loss of traditions and a longing for the past. Takahata and Miyazaki have virtually ingrained this longing in their work, as many other anime and manga creators have as well, but both of them are more preachy about Japan's transformation than others.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8