• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Questions regarding Gankutsuou

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goodwin999

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I just finished watching Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo and it has to be one of the best animes I ever seen. The story was compelling and very addicting so I finished this series in 2 days. There are some key things i think i missed and i was wondering if you guys can clear it up.

1) Was Peppo a GUY!?!? I was so confused about him/her. I thought that Gankutsuou told Albert that Peppo was a guy but as the series progressed it didn't really seem that Peppo was a guy.

2) What happened between Albert and Eugene? The last thing i remembered about them was their departure. I also saw Eugene play the piano on the last episode in the church but i dont recall Albert and Eugene reconcile.
kolibri

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:43 pm Reply with quote
1) Yes. A strange guy, but a guy.

2) spoiler[ I think the ending is left open. Albert went away instead of following Eugene to New York. But they both come back to Paris, and I'd like to think they meet up again and start their relationship again - but as I said it's for the viewer to decide for themselves.]

And yes, I though it was absolutely fantastic series.

[EDIT: Added spoiler tags just in case. -TK]
Azathrael

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Please use some spoiler tags. -_-;;

I didn't like the ending for Gankutsuou at all, seeing as how it's completely messed up and screws everything Dante ever worked for while the original novel is, well, excellent.

I strongly recommend the novel if you haven't read it already... The story more than makes up the lack of animation and sound.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Azathrael wrote:
.I strongly recommend the novel if you haven't read it already... The story more than makes up the lack of animation and sound.

Count of Monte Cristo is Dumas finest work, and it's such a powerful tale. Also you get a different side of the story consider how it's told from Edmunds point of view, but I thought that Gonzo did a great job looking at this tale in a new light, which makes me want to see there Romeo and Juliet even more.

Delta
goodwin999

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:49 am Reply with quote
What happens in the novel?
kolibri

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:04 am Reply with quote
Azathrael wrote:
Please use some spoiler tags. -_-;;

Ah, sorry Embarassed I kinda forgot since the question was about the ending... thanks to whoever edited the post.
Quote:
What happens in the novel?

Wikipedia entry is pretty extensive, although of course not a substitute for the book - still, it's good if you want a quick rundown on what's different.
Azathrael

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:30 am Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Count of Monte Cristo is Dumas finest work, and it's such a powerful tale. Also you get a different side of the story consider how it's told from Edmunds point of view, but I thought that Gonzo did a great job looking at this tale in a new light, which makes me want to see there Romeo and Juliet even more.

Delta

I applaud Gonzo's attempt. But they failed. Miserably, at that. In fact, they missed the entire theme of revenge and justice and turned it into some no-theme, nonsensical ending that made no sense whatsoever. Maybe if they kept the theme and presented it in an alternative ending, like the Hollywood movie, it would've worked. Maybe if they came up with a whole new theme instead and decided to show that throughout the entire series, it would've worked. That ending was one of the most disappointing endings I've ever had to face while watching anime, especially because the rest of the series was so good.

/Disappointed.
beezis

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:00 am Reply with quote
It's a good anime, but not a good adaptation of one of the greatest novels in existance.

(semi-ot) In Gankutsuou spoiler[Andrea Cavilcanti is the bastard son of Mme Danglars and M. Villefort.] this entire subplot escapes me in the novel however. This may be because I have the abridged version and it was removed but I have read the unabridged and I still don't remember it if it was there or not.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:32 pm Reply with quote
beezis wrote:
It's a good anime, but not a good adaptation of one of the greatest novels in existance.

QFT, Good way to put it. I thought it was done pretty well (though I've been thinking constantly about lowering my rating to an 8), but it really should not be compared with the original, as there is absolutely no comparison on any level.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DanielJr

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Azathrael wrote:
I applaud Gonzo's attempt. But they failed. Miserably, at that. In fact, they missed the entire theme of revenge and justice and turned it into some no-theme, nonsensical ending that made no sense whatsoever. Maybe if they kept the theme and presented it in an alternative ending, like the Hollywood movie, it would've worked. Maybe if they came up with a whole new theme instead and decided to show that throughout the entire series, it would've worked. That ending was one of the most disappointing endings I've ever had to face while watching anime, especially because the rest of the series was so good.

What? You honestly thought the Hollywood movie (with Jim Cavaziel) had a better ending than the anime? The movie version doesn't follow on the theme on the novel either!

=======================
** Warning for Spoilers **
=======================

Monte Cristo isn't just about revenge and justice, that's just the beginning story on the character of Monte Cristo (Dantes' third or fourth personality). A good portion of the novel is dedicated to redemption and acknowledging that revenge isn't something to be taken by men, only by God. Dantes realizes this when his revenge suddenly spins out of control and kills or hurts those that are close to him (like Valentine getting poisoned for one).

I think, while wildly different, the anime captures the very essense of the novel more so than the Hollywood action blockbuster (which is about 20% accurate!).

Even so, I'll concur that the novel has a better ending. I much rather see Dantes and Haidee hook up than Albert and Eugiene (who I may add is a man-hating lesbian in the novel) and live happily ever after (Valentine and Maximillian is also another prominent pair in the story). I just wish the anime ending was a little more... concrete... concerning Albert and Eugiene.
Azathrael

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:52 pm Reply with quote
DanielJr wrote:

What? You honestly thought the Hollywood movie (with Jim Cavaziel) had a better ending than the anime? The movie version doesn't follow on the theme on the novel either!

Are ye blind? Where on earth did I say the movie ending was better? But yes, if anything was implied, it's that I thought that the movie had a better ending than the anime. Nevertheless, that doesn't mean that I believe that the movie followed the novel exactly.

And no, the theme was not about God. Dantes prayed for God's justice (Not God's deliverance) when he was imprisoned; likewise he abandoned God when he escaped. God doesn't even appear in the anime. The novel's ending shows that revenge and happiness can be attained, without God's justice, and goes against the religious concept of "revenge is foolish and pointless". The movie at least showed revenge fulfilled; the anime twisted that, making Dantes look like one big fool in the end. And if that wasn't enough, spoiler[he dies with the man he hated the most.]
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Azathrael wrote:

And no, the theme was not about God. Dantes prayed for God's justice (Not God's deliverance) when he was imprisoned; likewise he abandoned God when he escaped. God doesn't even appear in the anime. The novel's ending shows that revenge and happiness can be attained, without God's justice, and goes against the religious concept of "revenge is foolish and pointless". The movie at least showed revenge fulfilled; the anime twisted that, making Dantes look like one big fool in the end. And if that wasn't enough, spoiler[he dies with the man he hated the most.]

I can't comment on the original, unfortunately, but I think you hit the point of the anime's ending there- that revenge/hate is foolish and pointless. spoiler[When he couldn't make Albert hate, couldn't destroy his soul, that's when he realized that his actions couldn't bring him happiness. In turn, Franz's sword- thrust into Dantes in hate- ended up killing a man who'd just realized his folly and was ready to reform. And Albert's dad (whose name currently eldudes me) also learned that the happy life he'd built on hate and revenge was all false and quickly destroyed.

Judging from what you say, they do sound like 2 completely different 'morals' to the same story. And it sounds like the original novel was a fair bit more powerful for its bleaker take on this. I guess it's a matter of preference in the end.]
Azathrael

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:24 am Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:

I can't comment on the original, unfortunately, but I think you hit the point of the anime's ending there- that revenge/hate is foolish and pointless. spoiler[When he couldn't make Albert hate, couldn't destroy his soul, that's when he realized that his actions couldn't bring him happiness. In turn, Franz's sword- thrust into Dantes in hate- ended up killing a man who'd just realized his folly and was ready to reform. And Albert's dad (whose name currently eldudes me) also learned that the happy life he'd built on hate and revenge was all false and quickly destroyed.

Judging from what you say, they do sound like 2 completely different 'morals' to the same story. And it sounds like the original novel was a fair bit more powerful for its bleaker take on this. I guess it's a matter of preference in the end.]

I wasn't hitting on anything, I was stating the obvious. Everything that happens at the end of the anime all point to exactly the opposite (in terms of theme, not plot) of what happens in the novel. And I don't believe it's a simple "matter of preference" when you butcher a classic and present something as bad as the anime ending. It's like taking Shakespeare's Julius Caesar and NOT having Caesar murdered.

My biggest concern is that some anime fan will watch Gankutsuou and think he's got The Count of Monte Cristo all figured out. If you're basing something off an original, it's obligatory to do it justice. It's not a political or social issue where there's two sides like what you've said at the end of your post. How is this ever going to be a problem? Because I'm betting on a growing trend of butchering classics to remake and resell for profit, and the original element that made it a classic in the first place will be lost.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1