• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sky Wizards Academy (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shikiari

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

I was wondering what had happened to the Devil Beetles these past few episodes because they don't seem all that threatening and their backstory hasn't really been touched upon...

I have been quite surprisingly impressed with the series, Kanata isn't a douche and doesn't really follow the traits of other male protagonists emotionally. His training techniques seem to be working and the way he dealt with Rico, was indeed interesting, yet effective.

That guy creeping on Julie just seems randomly inappropriate and so far I really don't care for it...

Having guessed that the match would be interrupted by the Devil Beetles, I'm looking forward to next week which looks rather good according to the preview.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6

"The only good bug is a dead bug!"

I actually enjoyed this episode quite a bit, apart from the poor fighting animation which at times was quite dire. The Devil Beetles are pretty naff as an actual enemy and rely totally on sheer numbers to win.

All I can think about now is Starship Troopers...

WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm so is he considered a traitor because he uses some type of dark magic?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:31 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

There is actually some pretty good stuff in this. But they are totally messing up on executing it on the whole. The battle was kind of a mess in terms of conveying to us what is happening, I have seen bridge battle room excellently in something like Sidonia, but it just failed here. We are given a bunch of scenes where we see the bugs are flooding, but it feels like the same thing multiple times so I could not understand what it was. The dialogue could have been a bit better too, it felt kind of stilted, and I also felt like the music was a bit too background in not getting the tone across (miss fitting). Sad as that one song that has a bit of vocals sounds pretty good, if they could get it to work just right.

As a general complaint, there was something wrong about the pacing of the scenes.
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Devil Beetles kind of remind me of BETA from Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse, just not as monstrous and disgusting. Kanata was going a bit overboard with all that "Look at how cool and awesome I am" this episode. Oh, Rico should always wear glasses.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me, or are their physical shields totally inadequate to the task? If the force field, which seemed functional (even when the wall was breached), emanates from the raised wall, which was useless, then skip the wall and build the emitters into the ground.
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:38 pm Reply with quote
On another note I found it a bit amusing that Yukin... I mean Yuri apparently used a spear before, is in love with the main character and calls him "senpai" and has a similar personality and same VA as a certain someone from Strike the Blood.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Arg, I can't stand that creepier guy. I'm sure he'll do something stupid like merge himself with that Chimera and Kanata will obliterate him. Hopefully that happens sooner rather than later.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7

Pfft, Creepy scientist dude and Yuri = One True Pairing, amirite? Wink

So, Kanata can just say "No" to getting fired? That's cool. So hopefully some interesting fights ahead. But will the tournament go as planned?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:09 pm Reply with quote
So they are getting disbanded because they against what I think the show said were relatively strong opponents?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:14 pm Reply with quote
They lose to other E ranked teams even with Kanata's instruction so it's a matter of getting rid of something that produces no results.
Cyberd1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:44 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Hmmm so is he considered a traitor because he uses some type of dark magic?

The question is why aren't the school higher ups unaware of it, if Kanata was on the seine they would have known it was him, his old fire team knew it when they saw it happen?

The reason others have been calling him "Traitor" is he quit his fire team and has refused to help out in battles. Since Sky Wizards are critical for the survival of the colony, not helping out where you are a S-class wizard = "Traitor".

The question that has yet to be answered is why was he willing adopted the name "Traitor" when do to his low magic reserves he could be considered retired wounded. Also why have the other members of his former team not been aloud to correct this misconception.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:33 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
So they are getting disbanded because they against what I think the show said were relatively strong opponents?

The top brass wanted to punish them. Wether it's because they destroyed civilian buildings, which she mentioned or just because they are generally seen as an inept fighting unit.

Not that it matters, since Kanata basically said that he doesn't give a rats ass what she thinks about them. I've got the feeling he's using E601 for some kind of personal redemption.

As for the creepy scientist, he's bound to interact/ merge with the Chimera in an attempt to become stronger. Maybe create some human/beetle cross breed thing. Can't be any worse than that terrible human/alien hybrid from Alien Ressurection anyway.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8

But... but it's not black coffee if you add sugar and milk... Well the creepy dude is finally making moves and he has some kind of sinister aura. Gee, I wonder where that power is from...
Cyberd1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:30 pm Reply with quote
So it looks like the dark aura power seems to come from the insects and Kanata was infected in his last battle where as the creepy lab tech either became infected by when the eye looked at him or he infected himself. It looks like the next episode will reveal more of the mystery. Also the look into the past was nice.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4