• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sky Wizards Academy (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8

I kind of wish this show was bit so clumsy, it is all so unsubtle that it comes across as silly. Maybe I really have seen to many of these type of shows.

Looks like their sniper would be their best bet as a team leader.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9

Kanata is as cool as ever and Lecty always looks cute in a maid's outfit.

That's about it for this episode... I do hope they start the tournament soon, only for it to be wrecked by the creepy-hoody-wearing scientist geezer.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:46 am Reply with quote
After all that you'd think they could have at least managed to tip his hood back so they would know who he was.
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:39 am Reply with quote
I'm expecting Kanata to go like "Hmph. I knew it was you all along." when the creepy dude's identity is revealed to everyone.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9

I kind of liked the episode. I thought that the undercurrent theme of getting the girls to understand each other, and that Lecty had been the quickest, was kind of cool.

And kind of pity this show has some rather decent music. I am actually always happy to hear the music they use for the previews, like a bit of old rock, it is a little fun aspect the show has going for it.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Once again the action is pretty meh, but I think the strong character development and dynamics more than make up for it. I'd definitely check out the novels if they got translated.
Cyberd1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:03 pm Reply with quote
They know that psycho boy is after Yuri and that Yuri is incapable of defending her self against him. Then why is there no protection for her?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:05 pm Reply with quote
The character development has improved.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11, Oh Baby a Triple!

As expected the animation during the match was pretty poor and was combined with cheesy dialogue: "Oh, I'll get you!" and "Haha! No you won't!". Well all that's left is to kick that psycho's butt. Maybe the trio will buy enough time for Kanata to gather his strength.
Cyberd1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:43 pm Reply with quote
EP 11

I dislike it when they have shown a characters abilities and then disregard them just to have a scenario they want.

Well except for that one point it was a good episode. Hopefully they will answer all of the questions that have yet to be revealed, in the last episode. Also with the way they are setting this up even though this is taking place in an open air coliseum and almost everyone can fly there probably wont be any reinforcements.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:45 pm Reply with quote
I do think one of the big problems with this is that there really is a lack of choreographing the fights to fully know what is happening at any one time. We have two teams, each with 3 people with different roles, but there really is not a huge amount of thought into being able to show us what they are all doing. Sure we knew Misora was flying around the stage and thus one is following her, but what exactly are the other two members doing to put the other opponents where they want? How is Lecty using her close combat to move her opponent backwards or forwards? How is Rico using her long distance shooting to get a person where she wants.

For a battle we know is involving flying and thus third dimension combat, there is a real lack at making matchups feel more than one person fighting another head on. Ironically the episode was actually attempting some of this in how Misora had to fight in moving around, but it totally neglected the other two in making it feel like the three of them are working together. it just feels a bit disjointed.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:39 am Reply with quote
It takes her sooo long to power up, the only way for her to hit anything is if they're distracted by something else and aren't looking at her. Even if they thought it was a bluff each time, their attention was still called to her by Lily, and all they had to do was move aside a few feet instead of gaping at her stupidly.

If only she could fully power up behind her back or something, and then whip it out! Very Happy
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:52 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
If only she could fully power up behind her back or something, and then whip it out! Very Happy

Also my thought, when they showed her powering up like she did it kind of ruined the suspension of disbelief when they should have made it at least a little faster that it might catch them off guard, and say she had already been charging up somewhat.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12

The creepy dude got to live! Hip hip hooray! Anyone else? No one? Interesting that Yuri was the one to defeat him though and Kanata didn't really do anything. Not often in a show like this you're gonna see the "main" villain being defeated by a side character while the main character helplessly watches from the sidelines.

This show was... unimpressive, to put it kindly. The character development was pretty nice and I mostly liked the main cast, but the rest of the show was... manure. I did still manage to get enjoyment out of the show.

P.S. Those wings sounded like a wet fart.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Well I, for one, wished they had killed that guy.

Anyways, yeah, the animation was pretty bad a lot of the time, but I did actually quite like the aestetics like character and costume designs. The character growth and dynamics were definitely worth the time, though. Even has me curious as to where it'll go in the future. At a glance Misora is the main heroine so you'd think she'd have the best chance with Kanata but with the age gap and his position as instructor it might not go that way (though other novels have had ass pulls like this before). Not to mention the amount of focus they put on the tension between Kanata and Yuri has it lean in that direction.

This is a perfect example of a meh adaptation making me want to read the novels. Unfortunately there aren't any translations.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4