• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Actually, I Am…

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anddo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:09 am Reply with quote
I've been reading Jitsu wa for about a year now. It's very hilarious and the anime is doing it good justice so far.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:32 pm Reply with quote
I just came in to say I think Jensen's review for Ep 1-2 is spot on.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:01 pm Reply with quote
so yet to watch episode 3..

but i'm guess from the trend we are heading.. all the female classmates probably have some sort of secrets?

Shocked
Metal Fennrir

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:01 pm Reply with quote
At least the review gets one thing right: there's no reason for Mikan to have "talking glasses". At least not this early in the game. In the manga, they get introduced in... chapter 24. And they're a great addition to the cast, mostly because Mikan was quite dull (and not honest with her feelings), so she needed a push in the right direction

Also, the manga did it better. I mean... this episode is pretty much a merge of Chapter 2 and Chapter 4, and the realization that Mikan likes Asahi doesn't come until later, but I guess I can't complain much since they only have 1 cour to fill in for... maybe... 20 chapters or less. Well, we'll see

I honestly wish this anime the best of luck. Like, the current developments are the best developments in a ROM-COM EVER, and in only 86 chapters it has proven to be the best of them all with what's happened. But hey, that's just what I believe
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Have to say, I was quite surprised that they already introduced the God of Fortune in her glasses. I guess they're trying to accelerate her development to get to the full ensemble comedic antics, but I'd call it better if they'd taken it slower in this case. Was definitely not expecting the glasses to have such a high-pitched voice, though.

Given who's missing from the OP, I don't think that we'll be getting excessive rushing, but I'm a bit worried now.
ralphmerridew

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Regarding high school reporters: The protagonists of Wedding Peach are the newspaper club, and are favorably portrayed.
myskaros

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:44 pm Reply with quote
It's too bad they're rushing through content to introduce more characters sooner, since the laid back comedy chapters are the best ones.

I hope we get at least one episode dedicated to Fuku-chan though, since his/her/its? chapters are the best spoiler[(I think the scanlators made it a "he" which makes sense considering "his" compatriots, but obviously "she" is voiced by a female in the anime...)].
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Mikan's glasses should hook up with Shimura Shinpachi.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Journalistic "villains" seems to be pretty common thing even in Western works where you'd think the profession would be more celebrated. As much everyone loves to read about the intricate, if irrelevant, details of the lives of others it seems pretty universal to loathe those who would intrude upon ones own privacy. It's pretty natural one would show up in this of all series.

I'm finding myself less amused by Mikan's antics than the reviewer, though. I suppose the comedy up until this point was almost too good-natured but I rather hoped it would stay that way.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:40 pm Reply with quote
^
Journalists are highly regarded in western culture, but paparazzi and gossip columnists are quite rightly despised. Intruding into people's personal lives just to sell magazines is disgusting.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:30 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Intruding into people's personal lives just to sell magazines is disgusting.

But very profitable. So it isn't going away anytime soon.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:39 pm Reply with quote
^
Oh, I know. That's what makes it even sadder. It's one thing for creeps to publish nasty, slanderous and invasive articles, but consumers are the ones who actually enable such behaviour by buying this crap. And the more salacious something is the better it sells.

*sighs*

Our society sucks arse.

Anyway, I'm gonna get off my soapbox and go lie down for a bit. It's just a cartoon, after all.
Anpanmon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:23 am Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
Mikan's glasses should hook up with Shimura Shinpachi.

Yeah, Patsuan is the only virgin in Gintama who yet have any girlfriend.
Sharkacon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:56 pm Reply with quote
The ghost in the glasses came off a bit odd to me. Since watching the first episode of this anime, I've started reading the manga as well. I'm only on chapter twenty or so, so I hadn't read this reveal yet. It felt completely unnecessary.

I loved the first two episodes, but now the pacing is starting to concern me. They've switched the order events so that the girls' secrets are all revealed by the end of the episode that introduces or focuses on them. If that's the case, it leads to nothing but romcom hijinx for the last two-thirds of the season. Some of the whammy lines probably could have been pushed back a bit, like in the manga.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
but raising the bar this early may come back to bite the show later in the season

Considering that this is actually pretty standard for the series, it won't. One of the reasons this came out of nowhere is because the anime is switching up the order of events and combining storylines. The first half is based on an early chapter that doesn't happen until another major character is introduced while the second half was based on two chapters that didn't come out until over a year later. There's actually a lot of original humor in this episode that wasn't in the manga.

Anyway, the series is now starting to kick into gear a lot faster than the manga did, mostly because the writers are clearly cutting out the fluff and getting to the good bits.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7