• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Actually, I Am…

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:28 pm Reply with quote
That thumbnail makes Shirou vaguely resemble Rick Sanchez from Rick and Morty. I should put this show on my list. (Not just because of that, though.)
Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6th was certainly a fun one.

Wolfman seems to actually have caring heart when she not a pervy or a sensitive "man". It's fun show despite being a genre been done before.
myskaros

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Now that all the major characters have made their entrances

Incorrect! The best character has yet to make a full appearance.

Too bad they ruined her manga intro by giving us a "peek."
spoiler[The best part of her chapter was the "is she actually a demon, or is she just normal and weird?" uncertainty, for both Asahi and the audience. However, now that we've already seen her use powers, that kind of story loses all impact.]
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:42 am Reply with quote
another weird character

from the OP i thought they are two different characters

this ability is kind of like Ranma 1/2... except no water needed..
Metal Fennrir

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Kind of sad to see a GEM such as this one (Jitsu Wa is probably the best ROM-COM manga ever created) get such a half-assed adaptation. For instance: we were supposed to get Shiho into the Aizawa "ran out of battery" episode, since she usually hangs out in the infirmary and that sets up for a great gag of them both about to figure out their identities but not being able to (running gag during the entirety of the manga). And on the sexy contest, AKARI was also supposed to participate. Yes. The teacher. And that sets up the gag for "she's single and doesn't know a thing about seduction" and that eventually ends up rubbing off on Shiho and...

Like I said, it's just sad... they're jumping all over the place with the pacing and order of the manga and until last week, it worked but this week they just fumbled with it. Hopefully next week with "Let's save the World" they'll get it right, because that's probably my favorite chapter on the early arcs
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:00 pm Reply with quote
I don't know who wins in a sex appeal contest, but Shiragami is certainly the most adorable one. I can sort of understand Kuromine's frustration at her attempts since he was expecting sexy, but come on man! That's your crush being incredibly adorable on stage, at least smile a little.
AmuroNT1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:07 pm Reply with quote
All I can say about Akane without going into spoiler territory is, she has a LOT more plot importance later on. There's a reason fans of the manga have been anticipating her introduction (as you can see in the previous comments).

Also, regarding Mikan's glasses, the anime's staff has been doing an odd thing where they're mostly covering the manga in sequential order, but adding in bits (and occasionally entire B-plots) from chapters much later down the line, often merging similar storylines; this week's episode combined chapters 15-16 and 57, which featured two separate "who's more adult" competitions between Youko and Akane. In the case of Mikan's glasses, that was a plot element introduced 20 chapters later than her actual introduction; I'm willing to bet that if they keep up their current pace, you can expect them to get back to that subplot in two, maybe three weeks (but not next week, because its title is the same as Chapter 51...).

On the subject of voice actors, I was a little surprised that Mao seems to have been artificially pitched up to play Akane (or maybe that's her natural vocal range); I honestly kind of hoped Akane in "demon mode" would sound a bit more like Luka from Gokaiger. Also, while I'm not dissing Aya Uchida's performance as Shiho, I kind of expected her voice to be huskier; maybe that's just because of my Western perception on what makes a woman's voice sexy.

killjoy_the wrote:
I don't know who wins in a sex appeal contest, but Shiragami is certainly the most adorable one. I can sort of understand Kuromine's frustration at her attempts since he was expecting sexy, but come on man! That's your crush being incredibly adorable on stage, at least smile a little.

It's funny you mention that, because in the original manga chapter dealing with the sexiness contest, it's pointed out that Youko actually has her blouse unbuttoned enough to show some cleavage (and she's fairly well-endowed), but due to her utter lack of seductiveness, nobody noticed until that point.
Melicans

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:25 pm Reply with quote
The wolf-man character... everytime I see him/her on screen it reminds me very heavily of Ren/Run from To Love-Ru. A character with rotating genders? Check. The gender switch is caused by something incredibly common? Sneezing/seeing the moon, check. The male is introduced first, loves the female protagonist, and feels rivalry to the male protagonist? Three more checks. The female is introduced in a compromising situation, has a liking for the male protagonist, and constantly tries to seduce him? Another three checks. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if the female takes the majority of the screentime with the male only appearing when she ends up in compromising circumstances with the male protag. Or if they end up being separated into their own bodies somewhere down the line.

As for the devil principal... based on this one episode, she really doesn't seem to have too much of a unique character, or at least not one that hasn't been seen in multiple other series. The intro shows what appears to be multiple versions of her, so hopefully that is a power that she has yet to show off; it would at least make her more interesting.
myskaros

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I feel like they really dropped the ball with mixing and matching plots from chapters all over the place. Plus they keep giving Aizawa screentime when she wasn't even in the plot at all, doing nothing useful. I understand that it's because they don't want to introduce other characters (Ryou, Rin), but the result is something of a mess.

I hope they do the discount burger or cooking chocolate chapters, though, that'll give everyone screen time and also build up Akane as best character. There's no way they'll do this chapter, but the New Year's shrine visit is probably one of my top 3 favorite chapters. "And here's one lucky pervert!"
AmuroNT1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:31 pm Reply with quote
I dunno, I feel like the anime is doing a pretty good job of adapting the manga by merging redundant storylines and patching up plotholes and other moments that didn't make sense. The main problem at the moment is the main story follows the "introduction queue" a little too heavily, which means actual plot progression is slow. Sadly this will probably only be a 12-episode anime, so they'll save any big developments like spoiler[Asahi and Youko actually becoming a couple] for later seasons.

Also, regarding the chocolate chapter of the manga, next week's episode has the same title "Let's Save the World!", so it'll probably be that. They might also merge it with the curry-making chapter from earlier on, since that's where we first learn that spoiler[Aizawa is a really good cook/baker].
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:24 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
That's your crush being incredibly adorable on stage, at least smile a little.

Yeah I had the same notion but as I have been writing I kind of like the idea that he hasn't over-idealized his crush but instead is able to see her for the kinda-dork she is. What it reveals is her personality is delivers more appeal than any body attribute she has.

At the risk of sounding all PC I don't particularly approve what the anime has totally bought into: a girl's primary worth is wrapped up in her sex appeal, but it was pretty funny.

Being absolutely not a fan of nosebleed humor and this was the first case I can recall where they took it far enough to induce anemia. It's just nauseating and I wish they would quit it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:28 am Reply with quote
Well, I thought it funny to play off of Shiragami's dense nature despite thinking she is clued in against Akane's juvenile nature despite thinking she is really sophisticated. And that both were showing how childish they are in contrast to trying to look adult. Put up against the foils of Kuromine and the teacher.

I really do like how goofy Shiragami can be, and not come across as just ditzy moe. It feels like not many anime want to make main heroine love interests more than attractive doll. Perhaps not as original, but I felt like making the all powerful old principal quite insecure in her maturity, kind of funny. Well you can find a bunch of loli, older than they look principals, but how many get in a fight with their student to act mature?
myskaros

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:04 am Reply with quote
AmuroNT1 wrote:
They might also merge it with the curry-making chapter from earlier on, since that's where we first learn that spoiler[Aizawa is a really good cook/baker].

Pretty sure the curry chapter was not where that happened, lol, it was actually the cooking class chapter (44) (I could be wrong). Though I agree that the curry chapter does deserve to be animated as well Very Happy
Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm trying not take it too seriously, i do find their getting into a Rom-Com routine. At least the MCs are starting notice each other enough perhaps they'll try date by series end. heck were in episode 7, 5 episodes more to go.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There are a number of directions for the script to pursue, including the possibility of Shiragami's father pulling her out of school.

I'm rather hoping they don't go this route. The whole Shiragami keeping her secret element works well as a passive element that creates problems requiring (hopefully comedic) workarounds. I feel like it would fail miserably if forced to carry the weight of being a major conflict.

Actually, it feels like the series does better being more slice-of-life than having direct conflict. As much as something to put all the characters on the same team would be nice, the show seems to be better the less it tries to create serious conflict.

HaruhiToy wrote:
At the risk of sounding all PC I don't particularly approve what the anime has totally bought into: a girl's primary worth is wrapped up in her sex appeal, but it was pretty funny.

I don't know that the anime bought in to that at all. I was under the impression the overarching joke of the maturity competition was how immature the whole concept was. That seems more like criticism of that idea than buy-in.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7