• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Monster Musume

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:
If, on the other hand, you find yourself laughing constantly without being able to explain why, welcome to the club. At the very least, it'll be an interesting season.

It's good to be here. I don't find this show to be funny, per se, but you've hit the nail on the head when you describe it as interesting. I'm really curious to see what the show can do with this weird and wacky cast and story (even by anime standards).
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:11 am Reply with quote
Between this show, Ranpo Kitan Game of Laplace and Gakkō Gurashi!, I hope that Lerche's high production quality they've shown will hold for the rest of the cour.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:27 am Reply with quote
Quote:
If, on the other hand, you find yourself laughing constantly without being able to explain why, welcome to the club. At the very least, it'll be an interesting season.

Yeah that sums up my feelings on the show, I don't know why but I constantly find myself laughing out loud for no reason.

I think in order to properly enjoy Monster Musume people need to go in with an understanding of what they're getting, this is a fan-service show with almost no true story to speak of other than T&A and some so far generic MC. I'm interested to see if it expands to have a true plot or just sticks to...plot.

This isn't DAnime hyper where they is a serious story about politics and religion to go with it, this is more Bikini Warriors, a show about having fun and checking out cute girls.

Also Centaur girl is my favorite.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:35 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Quote:

It's good to be here. I don't find this show to be funny, per se, but you've hit the nail on the head when you describe it as interesting. I'm really curious to see what the show can do with this weird and wacky cast and story (even by anime standards).

It get's pretty wacky as they keep adding more characters. The premise takes mundane shit such as a going to the gym scenario,and makes it entertaining as hell.Granted it has some eye-rolling fanservice scenes(a certain scene with Papi later on).
lanierd2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:36 am Reply with quote
This show is amazing especially if you're not a miserable prude of a human being. It's so ridiculous though! Whats even more crazy is that it has apparently been cleaned up a lot from the manga. I can't even imagine lol.
Taskforce

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:53 am Reply with quote
Oh, it definitely has been toned down a bit. A good example of this is In ep 2, during the scene where he talks to Ms. Smith while she's in bed spoiler[At that time she is supposed to be masturbating while on the phone with Kimihito. They don't explicitly show this in the manga either of course, but they give you several indications of it. From the sound she is making over the phone while talking to Kimihito to the used tissue and tissue box on the bed with her. ] So yeah as you can see, it was definitely toned down from the original scene.
lanierd2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:57 am Reply with quote
Taskforce wrote:
Oh, it definitely has been toned down a bit. A good example of this is In ep 2, during the scene where he talks to Ms. Smith while she's in bed spoiler[At that time she is supposed to be masturbating while on the phone with Kimihito. They don't explicitly show this in the manga either of course, but they give you several indications of it. From the sound she is making over the phone while talking to Kimihito to the used tissue and tissue box on the bed with her. ] So yeah as you can see, it was definitely toned down from the original scene.

WHOA! LOL and here i was with my hands on my head asking myself "Did that popsicle scene in the park, REALLY JUST HAPPEN LOL!"
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:04 am Reply with quote
Taskforce wrote:

I went to see if you were just yanking my chain, but your serious...there were moans and tissues and everything.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:15 am Reply with quote
This has been a pretty good season for harem comedies. Every time I think I'm ready to drop the genre, I find something like Monster Musume or Actually, I Am to pull me back.
Stabman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:45 am Reply with quote
Taskforce wrote:

No, that was a yawn. Moans of pleasure sounds completely different from the auhiuhioaaa used (which is true to the japanese original).
She even has the manga reaction of drowsiness in the middle panel.
ew121

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Taskforce wrote:

She's yawning in the raws. The tissues is just because her place is a mess.
She was sleeping.

Why would they censor that and don't censor Papi's blowjob?
itachi06103570

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Like everyone else's sentiments I see that it's been toned down a lot compared to the manga but I still enjoy it because for one it's that sort of turn your brain off sort of show/manga. I don't mind it and I'd like to see where this goes as pacing is concerned.
LightningZangetsu27

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Nothing like a bit of bestiality Shocked , its funny as hell tough Razz
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Stabman wrote:

No, that was a yawn. Moans of pleasure sounds completely different from the auhiuhioaaa used (which is true to the japanese original).
She even has the manga reaction of drowsiness in the middle panel.

Some people get drowsy after that though...

Also, it's not so much toned down as it is censored by cropping the images or by Barbie dolling the girls. If you look at the scenes and compare them to their manga counterparts some of them would be one for one if the camera was zoomed out more.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm hesitant to call the series trashy as while it's not ashamed of having sexual overtones, it's not in bad taste. It actually does something logical: it acknowledges that sex exists and that it's something big in people's lives. Because that's the thing about a lot of harem comedies even with fanservice is that they're oddly sexless and prudish. MonMusu is just up front with it and doesn't shy from it because what's the point?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8