• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Monster Musume

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:57 pm Reply with quote
The whole bit about human police being unable to apprehend monster criminals was dumb; there's no way a law would be passed preventing them from being able to do so. In fact, any law would have had to address that specific point since who gets to police who is so contentious.

But hey, expecting sound logic in a show like this one is a mug's game.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:21 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
But hey, expecting sound logic in a show like this one is a mug's game.

Amazing how often this needs to be said. Part of my job puts me in contact with contracts proposed by Japanese companies and their lawyers. I don't think they employ incompetent lawyers there.
Banken

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:28 pm Reply with quote
myskaros wrote:
Banken wrote:
The entire point of the series was to justify having a world comprised of cute(?) monster girls.

Fixed that for you ;P

A fantasy series doesn't have to justify its main premise.
Scygoku

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:00 am Reply with quote
I'd imagine when they came up with the bill they wanted to rush it through quickly,preventing people/extraspecies from being hurt. Surprised it hadn't been corrected despite being in effect for 3 years though.

Speaking on siutations that don't make sense, how about if someone breaks into your house you are legally only allowed to use reasonable force. I had heard this was suppose to be putting your hand on their shoulder and telling them to leave but probably not the case.

However given the guidlines here: https://www.cps.gov.uk/publications/prosecution/householders.html makes you second guess defending yourself in your own home.

You just had a traumic experience, someone tried to rob/threaten/kill you and you managed to overwhelm them...but now they are suing you since in the heat of the moment you wanted to make sure they couldn't get back up :/

There is plenty of crazy laws that are just a google search away: http://thoughtcatalog.com/rachel-hodin/2013/10/67-ridiculous-laws-from-around-the-world-that-still-actually-exist/
myskaros

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Scygoku wrote:
Speaking on siutations that don't make sense, how about if someone breaks into your house you are legally only allowed to use reasonable force. I had heard this was suppose to be putting your hand on their shoulder and telling them to leave but probably not the case.

However given the guidlines here: https://www.cps.gov.uk/publications/prosecution/householders.html makes you second guess defending yourself in your own home.

You just had a traumic experience, someone tried to rob/threaten/kill you and you managed to overwhelm them...but now they are suing you since in the heat of the moment you wanted to make sure they couldn't get back up :/

"Reasonable force" is key here. If they are simply robbing your house and trying to run away, it's harder to convince someone that you feared for your life. But if they have a weapon and/or threaten you, you can respond appropriately and not be penalized from a legal standpoint. Basically, self defense (only) works when you can legitimately say you feared for your safety.
Merxamers

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
She forces Centorea to come down off her high horse without being particularly harsh about it,

BOOOOOOOOOOOOO Anime hyper

I really liked this episode; i was a bit worried how this show could balance all the characters it's introduced, and while the cold-antics may not make everyone laugh, it gives all of them a little moment, at least. There were even some nice character scenes from Centorea, Suu, and Rachnea! More than i'd expect from this kind of show.

And yeah, have to agree, Rachnea is the best of the female characters so far. Mia could really use some more development to catch up.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:40 pm Reply with quote
So remember last week when I got really pissed about the Exchange Bill and posed a Hypothetical of Thugs trying to attack Miia.

Well that happened this week but with Cerea.

I just, it's frustrating that I'm supposed to suspend my disbelief so much that the rules of this universe dictate that, without the arrival of Rachnea, Cerea was expected to sit there and be sexual assaulted.

I get that this is fiction, I still love the show, but the Bill's arbitrary rules frustrate me to know end. I just want it to be clear and ironed out. Why is defending oneself from an attack not okay?!
Vanadise

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
I get that this is fiction, I still love the show, but the Bill's arbitrary rules frustrate me to know end. I just want it to be clear and ironed out. Why is defending oneself from an attack not okay?!

It's just a hunch, but it feels to me kind of like this is a bit of subtle satire on Japan's current immigration laws. They're pretty strict, and you can get deported for things that you would think are relatively minor. For example, possession of any amount of illegal drug will get you immediately deported... and possessing "illegal drugs" sounds bad, right? Except there are many common prescription and over-the-counter drugs in the USA (such as allergy and sinus medications) that are illegal in Japan. So, it makes sense that any sort of human-monster altercation, even in self-defense, would be grounds for deportation.

Granted, I might be giving a bit too much credit to Monster Girls and it could just be a set-up for jokes, but there have been a few other times that it's shown some clever wit.
Northlander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
So remember last week when I got really pissed about the Exchange Bill and posed a Hypothetical of Thugs trying to attack Miia.

Well that happened this week but with Cerea.

I just, it's frustrating that I'm supposed to suspend my disbelief so much that the rules of this universe dictate that, without the arrival of Rachnea, Cerea was expected to sit there and be sexual assaulted.

Well, aside from the somewhat bizarre situation with the orcs that could just kidnap, terrorize and shoot people (and claim self defense about the latter), it'd make sense that remorseless thugs would flaunt the law in an attempt to tie up Cerea, because, as Rachnera pointed out, what were they going to be able to do if she chose to defend herself (and Kimito); press charges?

Then again, the whole thing with the orcs brought to light just how hastily assembled the laws were in the first place, and that they were probably working on that. And it's not like any of the girls are deported yet, despite doing so much physical damage to the poor dude.

As for the reviewer: I can't say how much ground the remainder of the anime will cover -- most likely to the conclusion of the "threatening letter" arc and the introduction of the latest addition to the Kimihito household -- but there are some great story bits later in the manga starring Rachnera, one with one of the members of her former homestay family and one just now in volume seven that... well, deals with more aspects of her personality. (As well as the amusing realisation that she's also probably the closest this show has to a tsundere personality. Razz )
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:17 am Reply with quote
You know, I never thought about it until now, but is "Centorea" the official spelling? The logical one would've been "Centaurea," not only because of what she is, but it's also the genus of plants that includes thistles.
dizzon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:54 am Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:

Don't feel that you're the only one. I'm right there with ya. Every time a similar scenario (in terms of this incredibly stupid law) comes up I want to punch the screen.

My solution? Dull the brain in a way to accept it, then focus on what makes this series fun. Results may vary....
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:55 am Reply with quote
To play devil's advocate on the loopholes of the interspecies law, there is precedence for such contradictory and terrible laws. It is usually in the case of slavery or other such institutions. When you then have those laws meet the inflection point of some form of change in thinking or behavior from the general public that forces a change in the law, that change in law tends to be very piecemeal, reacting to specific problems as they present themselves. So while I have no doubt the writers included these loopholes for lot convenience, you can very easily get laws like this.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:10 am Reply with quote
DRosencraft wrote:
To play devil's advocate on the loopholes of the interspecies law, there is precedence for such contradictory and terrible laws. It is usually in the case of slavery or other such institutions. When you then have those laws meet the inflection point of some form of change in thinking or behavior from the general public that forces a change in the law, that change in law tends to be very piecemeal, reacting to specific problems as they present themselves. So while I have no doubt the writers included these loopholes for lot convenience, you can very easily get laws like this.

Here's my problem, they had the forethought to say "Humans and Monsters can't fight" but no one said "Hey wait, if I get attacked I can't defend myself?"

They were logical enough to put in a contingency to prevent fighting, but left a loophole the size of a doughnut?
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Pretty hilarious how they had Okayado cameo offscreen as the TV monstergirl correspondent.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:33 pm Reply with quote
I like series for the RomCom, since i like physical comedy happening here.

I'm curious how far series chapter wise will go. End when they bring Grim Reaper come on? Next week's episode is part of her entry in to the series, with MON going on dates with Darling trying lure person out who writing "threats" to Darling.

Another question, which I doubt will be explore is where heck are these girls coming from? They mention "countries" at one point "world", but they never get into it. Then again, Manga hasn't really explored that either.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8