• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Slice of life + disaster?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:27 pm Reply with quote
How about:

Haibane Renmei

Clearly in the slice of life genre. It shows people (Haibane) awaiting for their demise from the world in which they are inhabiting. Also my favorite animation of all time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:25 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
And I think that there is totally one this season, although only one episode so far.

That would be School-Live! Which does seem to fit the bill, at least so far.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz--

Actually, I respectfully submit that that Haibane Renmei does not qualify (don't get me wrong -- I love the series) because it's not clear what the origin of the town of Glie is.

Psycho 101--
FWIW, I endorse your proposal.
Night fox

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm just gonna throw in Angel Beats! in the fray and hope for the best. It's got the inevetable end, and at least slice of life elements... *hides*

*sigh* There can't be that many anime that fits all the criteria after all.

Last edited by Night fox on Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Though it's definitely not slice-of-life, I think Casshern Sins fits your description extremely well. It takes place in a dreary post-apocalyptic wasteland whose robotic inhabitants are literally slowly being eaten away, and yet many of the characters find a strong sense of fulfillment in spite of that. (Of course many others do not...)

While I'm thinking about it, Texhnolyze might qualify as well, albeit perhaps not from the very beginning. The main character starts out in a very bleak place, though the rest of the world doesn't begin to really go downhill until some time later. However, you do get a sense of peace amidst a lack of hope by the end. It certainly qualifies as having probably the most pessimistic tones of any anime I've come across. Very Happy
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:37 am Reply with quote
I have 2 suggestions myself. I honestly am not that sure if either qualifies for the slice of life aspect per se, but they're the first 2 I thought of beyond what's been mentioned so far. I'd have to give some more serious thought into others.

The ones I would mention are the movie Grave of the Fireflies and the series Now and Then Here and There. Both certainly fit the post apocalyptic part well. Grave of the Fireflies is set right after the end of WW2 and Now and Then is set a war torn post apocalyptic world. Both are rather...gritty (Now and Then more so) and I suppose they could contain slice of life elements per se. I might be stretching with that though like I said.

They certainly have main characters trying to deal with catastrophe and move on while retaining their values and trying not to give up. Even if they don't fit the criteria 100% I would definitely suggest both to anyone here. Both will at the least give you a more emotional experience than many other anime will in my opinion.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Though it's a bit of a stretch to call it slice of post-apocalyptic life, I think Kurogane Communication mostly fits the criteria. Haruka is apparently the last human on Earth, and she and her "family" of five robots do their day to day survival thing, finding water, scavenging repair parts, fighting off attack robots, you know, the usual post-apocalypse stuff. Until they run into a boy who's sort of in the same situation, but whose attitude is quite different.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2