• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Gangsta.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BluExocet

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:15 pm Reply with quote
The animation did look better this time around. At the very least the action was fluid, which is always a plus. Was great to see Gina and Ginger in action.

Quote:
Worick has one of the less-obscured secret hearts of gold I've ever seen. I'm surprised that he doesn't adopt kittens on the side.

The black cat that shows up in various scenes is not necessarily random.
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:39 am Reply with quote
Quote:
A man opened the door, but we didn't see his face, only his dark shoes and white pants. It's genuinely suspenseful.

It is? I thought it was pretty clear that it was spoiler[the doctor, we even saw him standing there before, umbrellla and everything.]

I'm still not completely sold on this show, but at least there seems to be more to it than "sexy older dudes being stylishly violent" and the new characters ae interesting enough.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:20 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
It is? I thought it was pretty clear that it was spoiler[the doctor, we even saw him standing there before, umbrellla and everything.]

That's what I thought as well, but we don't see his face clearly, and there's a possibility there's other people wearing spoiler[white lab coats] in Ergastulum.
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:49 am Reply with quote
_Cyphon_ wrote:
Merida wrote:

That's what I thought as well, but we don't see his face clearly, and there's a possibility there's other people wearing spoiler[white lab coats] in Ergastulum.

Of course. But i think the show wanted us to see the situation from Alex's perspective and in the mental state she was in, it seemed scary and threatening. Plus, i want to believe this is what happened because if Alex ayctually spoiler[got kidnapped] after not having done anything this past couple of episodes, i'm really starting to lose faith in her character (development)...
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:26 am Reply with quote
The fight was good,but I was really taken out of it at points with the off model characters. What also made this fight good was the fact it was used for some world-building; so it had a point to it instead of just being a pointless action scene that doesn't advance the plot. Only thing I didn't like with this episode was the Alex scenes. They came off as "had to give them something do" scenes. They felt like an afterthought to the events of the episode. Besides that the direction is still solid as hell.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Really good episode, but I was put off a bit by just how similar to Balalaika Gina was. Like wow. I guess imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but....

Overall, I'd give the episode an A-.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:41 pm Reply with quote
I don't think the show looks that much better from previous episodes and after this many episodes I've given up that it will improve substantially. However, I'm definitely in it for the characters and some of the background. The three laws are interesting, but I'm curious how society evolved to the point that they had slavery again.

I like that Alex is having these flashbacks. It feels like the author is showing some consequences to the experiences that the character has been through. It also makes her a little more than just eye candy.

Review wrote:
Worick shows his when he feels enough pity for Doug to drag him to the clinic after Gina leaves him for dead.

Wait, I might have missed something but I thought Doug mostly got shot up with the "downer" darts? I didn't think he was being left for dead, otherwise why stop Nic from carving him up when Nic broke Doug's last sword? I get the feeling they just didn't want to carry him back to the guild or can too many downers kill you? I'm not sure.

Review wrote:
He isn't a part of the Guild, and also regularly overdoses on Celebrer in order to increase his strength. It looks like he's a naturally weak Twilight belonging to the lowest rank, C/3, so he dopes in order to reach the highest, A/0.

Ok, that's wrong. Weakest rank would be Delico (?). He's the guy in the black suit that works for Monroe and he is a D/0. He's shown clutching his dogtags while watching Nic and Doug fight. However, based on the numbers the lowest would probably be a D/3? Unless they have E or F categories.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure that Nic wouldn't have been given an A/0 tag if he was only a C/3 and had to "cheat" to reach A/O. I think he's (now) an A/0 and was basically "doping" to give him an edge over a fellow A/O that wasn't ODing on Celebrer. I'm guessing he only ODs when he thinks things are going to get rough, but that it happens more often than Gina (or Worick) like. Essentially, he acts too recklessly and eventually it will catch up with him is the impression I got.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Just speculating...

There has to be some system in place for handing out dog tags and ranks. Maybe this is what the guild does? Are ranks fixed from birth or maybe not? Nic could have been C/3 as a teen and worked himself up to A/0, maybe? Gina and Worick makes it sound like he overdoses regularly, so maybe he isn't A/0? Does he fight other A/0's regularly that he needs the edge of the overdose? Maybe he's actually a B rank but has been given A/0 tags based on the number or ranks of people he's beaten?

The whole idea of ranks is kind of interesting, because its a way of measuring not just ability of the individual but also the monetary worth. You want to hire a tag? Well you could go with one or two cheaper C/3s or spend more for a B rank or A rank. Is there some status associated with having several high ranks in your organization?

I'm curious to find out how they expand on this whole tag and ranking system.

It also looks like Nic fights and overdoses recklessly to escape. He's obviously in pain as the flashback shows that he felt things wouldn't change and then with the whole thing with Veronica.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:34 pm Reply with quote
I believe the changes from the manga were for the best. The humor was just so out of place,and really clashed against the rest of the material(even more so if it were animated).As for the episode it was the best one so far.I expect shit to hit the fan in the next one. One thing I feel you haven't given that much credit to is the way the exposition is handled. None of it is spoon-fed to the audience,along with it having a very natural pace to it. Most shows would throw the same amount of exposition in a dry 5min info-dump.

Quote:
It's a raucous action story that happens to have a good heart

The series itself came off more of a character-piece first,with a bit of over-the-top action. That statement fits more with Black Lagoon,which is action schlock first and foremost.
SHD

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:43 am Reply with quote
Themaster20000 wrote:
The series itself came off more of a character-piece first,with a bit of over-the-top action. That statement fits more with Black Lagoon,which is action schlock first and foremost.

I've given up on some people realizing and accepting that Gangsta is not supposed to be 1) a Black Lagoon knockoff, 2) even the same genre as Black Lagoon. For some weird reason they're so intent on treating it as if it was Black Lagoon instead of what it actually is.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:12 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
I've given up on some people realizing and accepting that Gangsta is not supposed to be 1) a Black Lagoon knockoff, 2) even the same genre as Black Lagoon. For some weird reason they're so intent on treating it as if it was Black Lagoon instead of what it actually is.

Sure, they're both very different shows, but on the surface they do look very similar. Gritty, adult-targeted series depicting the dark underbelly of a city full of gangs, prostitutes, assassins, etc.

There are a few, but we don't really see a whole lot of anime about this subject matter. That's why I really don't find it surprising that Black Lagoon is the show people are drawing the biggest connection to. Regardless of the differences, it clearly pushes a lot of the same buttons for many people.

On a similar note, just because people are saying it reminds them of a less action-y, more character-driven version of Black Lagoon, doesn't necessarily mean they're calling it a ripoff. Now, obviously there are some people who are saying that, and those who wish that Gangsta was something that it isn't, but in general I don't think it's wrong for people to generalize subject matter and make comparisons to other series that feature similar subject matter. People compare new things to what we're familiar with. That's what we do.
SHD

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:19 am Reply with quote
No, I understand that, I was mostly referring to the ANN reviewer apparently not being able to let go of her idea that this anime/manga is doing something wrong by not being more similar to Black Lagoon. Comments like,

Quote:
C'mon guys, this is supposed to be atmospheric. Play up the European exoticism!

(What's "European exoticism", by the way?)

Quote:
Give me sleazy jazz when they visit the brothel, something propulsive when Nic's beating up gangsters,

Quote:
This is supposed to be gritty fun

Quote:
The direction continues to be quite good – it just feels like its style is being applied to the wrong show. ... It's a raucous action story that happens to have a good heart.

They keep conveying that she simply wants Gangsta to be a different show and can't seem to accept it for what it is. It's like going, "I continue to be baffled at Gatchaman Crowds Insight insisting on navel-gazing about social issues for the second season in a row, it's completely bringing the show down, what a shame. This isn't an exercise in social commentary, it's a show about superheroes fighting evil aliens, when is it going to start acting like it?"
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:34 am Reply with quote
Am i the only on who found that constant jumping back and forth in time really annoying? I wish they had just put the backstory in one or mabe two episodes and been done with it.

A question for manga readers: will Alex ever be anything more than they a sexy mascot? Don't get me wrong, i'm not expecting her to turn into a fighting machine all of a sudden, but if all she ever does is tag along on errands or hug the guys when they have nightmares, i don't really get the point of her character...
Animechic420

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:35 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
Am I the only one who found that constant jumping back and forth in time really annoying? I wish they had just put the backstory in one or maybe two episodes and been done with it.

I found that strange, too, but decided to ignore it. Anyway, the flashbacks are over. For now.

Merida wrote:
A question for manga readers: will Alex ever be anything more than their sexy mascot? Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting her to turn into a fighting machine all of a sudden, but if all she ever does is tag along on errands or hug the guys when they have nightmares, I don't really get the point of her character...

Don't worry. Later on,spoiler[Alex witnessed some guys abusing a female child Twilight and ran to her defense. She hits one of the dudes with a 2 by 4.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9