• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Gangsta.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
supercalafragilisticjoy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Can we also talk about the soundtrack?

For the most part, it's been a bit lack luster (though a lot of it gives me flashbacks from Samurai Champloo) - but in episode 6, I though the background music really helped bring the feels.

Episode 7 was okay (though I'm a sucker for all this Nina), but it's 6 that gives me a lot of hope for the show.

My biggest concern is that since there is a lot to cover and the manga isn't finished, I'm not sure how they are going to pull off a decent ending. I have a pretty good idea where it will end - but I worry it won't be enough and it will turn people off.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
Am i the only on who found that constant jumping back and forth in time really annoying? I wish they had just put the backstory in one or mabe two episodes and been done with it.

A question for manga readers: will Alex ever be anything more than they a sexy mascot? Don't get me wrong, i'm not expecting her to turn into a fighting machine all of a sudden, but if all she ever does is tag along on errands or hug the guys when they have nightmares, i don't really get the point of her character...

The flashbacks had a very natural progression to them. The characters themselves were recollecting these events. It didn't come off the show saying "we gotta get this exposition out of the way as fast as we can".
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:47 pm Reply with quote
supercalafragilisticjoy wrote:
Can we also talk about the soundtrack?

For the most part, it's been a bit lack luster (though a lot of it gives me flashbacks from Samurai Champloo) - but in episode 6, I though the background music really helped bring the feels.

Episode 7 was okay (though I'm a sucker for all this Nina), but it's 6 that gives me a lot of hope for the show.

The only times I've effectively noticed there was music playing, I felt the music was helping the scene. Not once did it feel disconnected, like the music is more entertaining than the scene, or the scene is good but the music doesn't fit. So, in that way, I feel the soundtrack is doing a good job. True that there hasn't been any real moment that made me think "whoa this track is great when is the CD coming out", though.
sugarwater

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:56 pm Reply with quote
animechic420 wrote:
Merida wrote:
Am I the only one who found that constant jumping back and forth in time really annoying? I wish they had just put the backstory in one or maybe two episodes and been done with it.

I found that strange, too, but decided to ignore it. Anyway, the flashbacks are over. For now.

Merida wrote:
A question for manga readers: will Alex ever be anything more than their sexy mascot? Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting her to turn into a fighting machine all of a sudden, but if all she ever does is tag along on errands or hug the guys when they have nightmares, I don't really get the point of her character...

Don't worry. Later on,spoiler[Alex witnessed some guys abusing a female child Twilight and ran to her defense. She hits one of the dudes with a 2 by 4.]

That's a one off event spoiler[and Nicolas has to save her in the end anyway.] Alex's skills lie beyond fighting - spoiler[she can sing. In such a craphole of a town full of misery her voice is enjoyed by Twilights and Normals alike.] At the pace the adaptation is going we're barely going to get a glimpse of that though. spoiler[Or they could skip her actually singing and focus on the results, like the drama CDs did.] There's also the matter of spoiler[Emilio...]
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:53 am Reply with quote
I'm hoping that episode 12 ends on the end of an arc, and then if the show is popular enough, in a year or so they bring it back for another season. But the rate the Manag is coming out at is pretty slow.
bibotot

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:07 am Reply with quote
OK. One question from someone who has not read the manga. Is this supposed to be an action anime, or a drama anime? Because the fight scenes aren't as impressive or as common as the first episodes anymore.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:41 am Reply with quote
bibotot wrote:
OK. One question from someone who has not read the manga. Is this supposed to be an action anime, or a drama anime? Because the fight scenes aren't as impressive or as common as the first episodes anymore.

I've read 5 volumes, and I would say it is a drama , with action elements.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:09 am Reply with quote
Finally got around to watching this, and AHAHAHAHA!

Rin's still Rin, and Archer's still teasing her. That song by Alex was great, too; real pity about her brother (99% probably) not being on the guest list.

The next episode title makes me wonder if it's just about Alex and Tall Dark Stranger, or if it deals with Nic and Worick or Nic and Erika too.
Forrest-kun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:48 pm Reply with quote
I've gotten caught up with the manga and I'm not even sure where Manglobe can end this anime without a completely abrupt stop, they will most likely stop right when it gets good(and it does). To be honest they should have waited a couple more years to make this because this twilight hunt arc is nowhere close to being finished. Its a real shame.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:42 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
This is kind of like an ultra-violent slice-of-life show. I approve.

and they haven't been any since black lagoon. hopefully it wont take like three to four years to get an adult swim broadcast otherwise that would be a serious shame for the series and for both CN & Funi.

and nico's origins is getting confusing to say the least cause in ep 1 they said he couldnt talk ok but have superhuman hearing which is why he finds his targets so quickly, now their saying he's deaf. its like they cant make up their minds on his disability.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Forrest-kun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:06 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
JaggedAuthor wrote:
This is kind of like an ultra-violent slice-of-life show. I approve.

and they haven't been any since black lagoon. hopefully it wont take like three to four years to get an adult swim broadcast otherwise that would be a serious shame for the series and for both CN & Funi.

and nico's origins is getting confusing to say the least cause in ep 1 they said he couldnt talk ok but have superhuman hearing which is why he finds his targets so quickly, now their saying he's deaf. its like they can't make up their minds on his disability.

Actually they said he has extremely good eyesight & sense of smell, they never said he had good hearing.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:13 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I'm hoping that episode 12 ends on the end of an arc, and then if the show is popular enough, in a year or so they bring it back for another season. But the rate the Manag is coming out at is pretty slow.

Yeah, hopefully they can make more.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Ep 9

Review wrote:
This episode suffers from the fact that I don't care about anyone besides our main trio, Nina, and maybe Loretta. For as much screentime as he's had, my thoughts on Boss Monroe are still “guy who the Handymen occasionally encounter during back alley fights.” The emotional reveal here doesn't have to do with him specifically, just one of his henchman, the blond Delico. Erica looks just like him and is likely his long-lost sister. Am I supposed to care? The guy had one conversation with Worick. I can hardly tell him apart from the other characters – there are too many “suited henchmen” in this cast.

I have to agree with the review. Maybe if the show had an episode developing the connections of some of these characters with the main trio or at least their own motivations then we would care. So far Delico is just Boss Monroe's bodyguard with the vampiric pallor. The cast is shocked that its Erica and Worrick has to make a serious call to Delico. Since Delico hasn't been developed that much I don't have any emotional attachment to how or why he's going to react.

Also is it me or does it feel like they tried to shoe horn some of the stuff in this episode? I mean it wasn't awful, but it did have that vibe like maybe they were squeezing some stuff in there. Also the fights are still a little sterile.

Well at least we got an explanation on Nic's rank and its something like I speculated on in the beginning of the show that he's not a natural A/0. Oh, and Ginger being an S/0 was kind of funny...and terrifying.

Its tough I want to like this show more. I sometimes do and sometimes I just feel meh.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Mostly agree with the review. Also, this episode could not keep the characters on-model to save their lives. An OK episode overall, but disappointing compared to last episode.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:44 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the episode,but it was a production nightmare. I could deal with the bad animation in the other episodes due to the excellent direction and tight script,but it's issues really showed in an action heavy episode like this. Even though I think the show is great,it's biggest issue is the scope; which is way too large for a 12 episode show like this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9