• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: School-Live!

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Birriaman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:24 pm Reply with quote
KuroiEr wrote:
Key wrote:

Interesting if this is even close to correct. But when would she have written it?

I went over it again. I completely missed a line like noob, whoops.

Gomennasai (I'm sorry)

onaka suita (I'm hungry)

mina daijoubou kana ( Is everyone alright? / I wonder if everyone is ok?)/

mata aeru kana (I wonder if we'll meet again / Will we meet again?)

That should be fairly accurate. Given the other line I'm gonna assume it was after she was bitten but before she turned completely.

I was just about to correct this but you beat me to it. Good job, the translation is perfect!!! But for some reason I thought from the beginning that she was writing this page AFTER she had been bitten, and that's why she was hungry in the first place... And then hell turned loose. Very depressing, I know, it's just the kind of stories I prefer.

I looked up the manga, and now have to wait until the anime is over so I can finally read it, everyone keeps on saying how much better the manga is so I'm really frustrated right now!

Regarding the ED scenes, weeeeeell... If we go by traditional anime tropes, it suggests that all but Miki will die: the shovel, the hat, and a knife that seems belonged to Rii are left on the floor, but Miki's CD player is not. VERY depressing to imagine, and I don't know if the manga is going in that direction either, but like I just said, I have a soft spot for stories with a depressing ending, so I wouldn't mind at all!

Oh, almost forgot: the zombie at the beginning has pink hair, an idiot hair, and a blue dress... Sorry to burst the reviewer's bubble but I guess we know exactly what happened to Megu nee.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:14 pm Reply with quote
^

There's been a lot of talk about the potential for a depressing ending from the get-go, which is natural considering the setting & tone. This possibility worries me though. Not because I hate depressing endings, but that despite the shows setting and tone, I'm not so sure how well the show is set up for that. I fear that a depressing, death-heavy ending will undermine the existing themes and add nothing of value on its own.

On the other hand, the show's been fantastic so far. Perhaps I shouldn't worry so much and just have faith they'll stick the landing however they choose to do it.

Quote:
The series has vaguely implied before that maybe these zombies aren't actually dead but persisting in some mind-ravaged semi-alive state, and this seems to be further proof of it.

Which raises the question of how long they can live. The show's timeline has been rather vague but if we assume the zombies are unable to muster the coordination/brainpower to eat or drink anything but non-zombified humans you'd think they'd be running out of steam already. It's not really that important, and there's a good chance this element is just entirely ignored or given a very hand-wavey explanation such as their metabolic rates being so drastically reduced that they're essentially in a walking hibernation. But, it makes me curious.
Hyperdrve

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm hoping that they don't copy too many ideas from Resident Evil.

Birriaman wrote:
Regarding the ED scenes, weeeeeell... If we go by traditional anime tropes, it suggests that all but Miki will die: the shovel, the hat, and a knife that seems belonged to Rii are left on the floor, but Miki's CD player is not. VERY depressing to imagine, and I don't know if the manga is going in that direction either, but like I just said, I have a soft spot for stories with a depressing ending, so I wouldn't mind at all!

Oh, almost forgot: the zombie at the beginning has pink hair, an idiot hair, and a blue dress... Sorry to burst the reviewer's bubble but I guess we know exactly what happened to Megu nee.

The CD player unfortunately stays as well. Also the person that you recursively quoted is the reviewer.

I can read the ED in two way different ways: a morbid way and an optimistic way. The morbid one is where the girls "join" Sakura. Whether it is in flesh by turning into zombies, or spiritually by being killed off and then re-uniting in the afterworld-heaven. Or from what the imagery of Sakura petals falling in the ED could suggest, Sakura's sacrifice wasn't in vain and the girls escape and march towards their happy futures, like they sort of do in a clip in the ED.

This is if we're just going off by what the ED could suggest.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:45 am Reply with quote
It did good to re-watch episode 7 right before the newest one on Thursday; it made for a meatier experience. I would've reacted more to the bit of fan service if I wasn't just reminded by how touching #7 was, but even if I would have, the high revelatory note it ended on might've washed any negative feelings. In what zombie fiction I know outside of Resident Evil, I've nary encountered any stories that deal with the origin point of the outbreak, so I was very surprised to see them deal explicitly with it. I'd definitely welcome more context for this whole mess of an apocalypse (because seriously, the society here so far seems a strong candidate for Most Incompetent Society to Handle a Zombie Apocalypse Ever.)

I've been wary of tackling anything in the comments section anywhere for School-Live! as its aired, considering it not being an original anime. (Heck, I was wary since I first read Theron talking about how Megu-nee might've been imaginary as early as episode 2, which I hadn't even considered yet by that point!) Though the chronology in which events and characters are presented or collide with each is jumbled up, it's my understanding that's it's still largely-faithfully based on the manga. But hey, this is the ANN board, where spoilers are nearly always spoiler-tagged, so I guess I'm safe here, right?

Speaking of chronology…. what exactly is the timeline for this show? So far, this is my definite understanding:

Episodes 1-2: "Present Time"
Episodes 3-6: Mostly flashbacks, mostly in a chronological order that starts at ground zero.
Episode 8: Primarily back in the "Present Time."

Episode 7 still strikes me as a tricky to place. The first half of the episode definitely feels placed in a time where Miki is still trying to get acclimated to living in the school. But for the second half that is all about them trying to send out letters, might we be back in the "present time" by that point? Yuki talked about using balloons that were, if I recall right, called out by another girl as being obtained in episode 2's test of courage.

I wish there were smoother transitions between these time periods. I hope that going forward, the story will primarily go forward. The content in the next episode preview seems like… an odd thing set of things to happen right after episode 8's bombshells.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
Speaking of chronology…. what exactly is the timeline for this show? So far, this is my definite understanding:

Episodes 1-2: "Present Time"
Episodes 3-6: Mostly flashbacks, mostly in a chronological order that starts at ground zero.
Episode 8: Primarily back in the "Present Time."

Episode 7 still strikes me as a tricky to place. The first half of the episode definitely feels placed in a time where Miki is still trying to get acclimated to living in the school. But for the second half that is all about them trying to send out letters, might we be back in the "present time" by that point? Yuki talked about using balloons that were, if I recall right, called out by another girl as being obtained in episode 2's test of courage.

I don't think there's any argument over episodes 1-2 being in the "Present."

Episode 3 is an interesting case, in that it's partially flashback, and partially present. The camping trip is present (Miki's presence lets us place that), whereas Megu-nee's flashbacks are obviously outbreak day 1, with the framing story of her writing in her journal/diary spoiler[taking place sometime between day 1 and Miki's rescue].

Episodes 4-6 are obviously flashbacks, starting day 1, through Miki formally joining the club.

I'd say that 7 was firmly in the present. There's nothing to indicate that it wasn't present day, and, really, since the flashbacks had already shown how we got to that point, and bringing the four to the status quo that was already established in the present day episodes, there's no reason for us to have any more flashback episodes, unless there's important information that we haven't been given yet. Episode 7 doesn't have that "oh, here's something else you need to know" feel, so there's no reason to think that it might be flashback.

I didn't feel a "Miki's still getting acclimated" feel to it, it was more a "how much longer can we let Yuki stay like this" feel. Also, as you said, if the balloons came from episode 2, it has to take place after that.

Additionally, the key was found in episode 7. If Yuuri was so conflicted over telling the others about the key or not (as we see in episode 8), why would she have waited so long, if it were a flashback? No, I think we can firmly say that episode 7 is in the present, as is episode 8.

Last edited by Dessa on Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:01 am; edited 1 time in total
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:25 pm Reply with quote
It is looking like episode nine is going to be part 'beach' episode. Those that had problems with this episode, should probable fast forward through the beach wear scenes in order to preserve your sanity.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:26 pm Reply with quote
@ Dessa: Did you click spoiler instead of quote? Confused
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:56 pm Reply with quote
You should assume it's in the present/after episode 1 unless the show makes it very clear it's not. The only reason the mall trip was even a flashback was because of the decision to have Miki in the show at the start. While I can appreciate some reasons they may have wanted Miki there, it's apparently made the show's timeline more vague and confusing than it needs to be.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:40 am Reply with quote
Guess I'm not just paying enough attention to the proceedings to follow the nuances of this chronology. With a week-long stretch in between episodes, and watching other shows in between, I can lose track of event-order.

It might be a bit silly to respond more to the episode 8 review now, but I guess I will, before the episode 9 review is written and the following comment becomes anymore late. Razz Just gotta say, Key's reading of the Megu-nee scene at the start is… fairly far off from mine.

Quote:
One of those is the opening scene, which suggests that Megumi is also trudging around as a zombie; apparently the cross in the rooftop garden is a memorial and not an indicator that the girls actually buried her there. This was always a possibility given the way that she died, but one that the series has, prior to this, carefully avoided suggesting, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who didn't want to think about that possibility. The most disturbing part, though, is that the journal Megumi was previously shown writing in has scribbles suggesting that zombie-Megumi was continuing to try to write in it, and at some point she managed to scrawl Yuki, Yuri, and Kurumi's names. The series has vaguely implied before that maybe these zombies aren't actually dead but persisting in some mind-ravaged semi-alive state, and this seems to be further proof of it.

It was my assumption that the scene was all flashback, which was framed by some old film grain and sound effect-- the same kind we got back in episode 3 when the origins of the outbreak were shown. Following from that assumption, I think that Megu-nee really might have been buried in the flower bed, or at least might be deader than undead thanks to a mercy kill by Shovel-kun and has the cross grave marker to memorialize her. (Speaking of grave-markers, might she have have been a Christian? She wore something like a rosary as well.)

And as for her scrawling the girls' names, it was my impression that those were just the remnants of a journal entry she was trying to leave behind, before she did go full zombification. Basically, her mind was spiraling downward as her bites were starting to take their toll on her, so she was only able to come out with the girls' names in the end. (Though now the biological weapon as the cause has been spelled out, maybe they're not the 'traditional' and 'complete' zombies to begin with.)

Hopefully we'll get more clarification with episode 9! Or one of the others remaining, surely.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Even in the darkest of times, Otaku know where their priorities lie.
-Madoka-

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Zombies? no, POOL!
Really i agree it was the weakest episode, the end was great though
spoiler[ look forward to them meeting megu-nee zombie... sadly i think they might use her later though which is a shame as i do look forward to it ].

Really though it was a filler to me, It wasn't really bad i guess as the girls aren't what some would consider 'normal' by a zombie scenario (but that's why we love the show, right?), it wasn't massively misplaced. Weird how the noise they make doesn't cause the zombies to get a little feisty though.

Looking forward to the trip down below Smile

Last edited by -Madoka- on Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
Raebo101

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:24 pm Reply with quote
And he said, "LET THERE BE A POOL EPISODE! Even during a zombie apocalypse. Because that's what's important right now."
Badge304

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:11 pm Reply with quote
The death flag is strong for the dog!
ElectroEsper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Badge304 wrote:
The death flag is strong for the dog!

MANGA SPOILER TO FOLLOW

spoiler[Well, in the manga, Taroumaru was found by the girls when Megu-nee was still around and Miki was not yet with them.

He was also bitten/infected and eventually turned. They threw him outside, however he kind-of came back... Giving a clue about the Zombies's apparent display of memories. No more infos on him afterwards.

So technicaly, he should not even be around anymore.]

MANGA SPOILER ENDED

That being said,

I'm happy that for once the Zombie apocalypse get some form of detailing as to the What, How, Why of the whole thing, which is something that kind-of really lack in other Zombie stories.
TsubomiKoneko

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:07 am Reply with quote
I find it interesting how they change things in the ending sequence from time to time. It feels like foreshadowing, but also seems a bit too blatant, like that's what they want you to think.

Well anyway, here's my thoughts at the moment:

spoiler[From the first ending sequence I felt something was a bit off, specifically the very end where Yuki smiles at the girls on the other side of the table from her, but the it changes to the profile shot of her and the flower on the windowsill covers the area where the girls would be. This just felt very ominous to me, creating a question of whether the girls were really there or not.

The most recent episode's ending outright omitting Taromaru and Kurumi from that ending shot make it even more curious and foreboding.

Now I kind of wonder, although it's far-fetched, if maybe they'll start killing the girls off one by one. Kill everyone except for Yuki, but because of her delusions she'll believe they're all still alive. Then they could just end with her 'happily' living with them and leaving the viewers with the obvious fact that she's guaranteed eventual zombie food...]

Maybe that's too much of a downer ending for a slice-of-life anime...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 13