• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Natsuki Takaya Launches Fruits Basket another Sequel Web Manga

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:05 am Reply with quote
More Fruits Basket? Sounds interesting. I hope the anime gets a remake someday...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:25 am Reply with quote
The last volumes of the Fruits Basket manga looked like the mangaka passed the art down to an intern. Most artists evolve their style for the better, but the FB manga remains the gold standard for art going from good to terrible.

I'm not sure how I feel about seeing more manga from this author at this point.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:31 am Reply with quote
This is interesting and promising, but will there be any actual Fruits Basket characters in it, or is it a total spin-off?
Collectonian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:46 am Reply with quote
Depending on how far after the Tohru gradated it is, I'm guessing it has Momiji and Hatsu in it. They were both a year behind, so they would be seniors.

That said...I'm curious what sort of story it will be considering at the end of the manga, spoiler[they are all free from the zodiac curse and no one is transforming from the opposite sex anymore]
sakurablossom143

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:50 am Reply with quote
It did say that it takes place after Tohru graduates, but if you guys remember the end of the original fruits basket manga, Tohru has a grand-daughter that also wears pig-tails... My sister and I got to wondering..maybe it might be about her? Or who knows?? I'm excited about this though! I just hope it doesn't have the same storyline.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:40 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
This is interesting and promising, but will there be any actual Fruits Basket characters in it, or is it a total spin-off?

The article was updated with some more info. It says the old cast will not appear, but might be mentioned.

So yeah, it's basically it's own thing that just so happens to take place at the same high school the FB characters used to attend.
Panoptican

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:47 am Reply with quote
#838774 wrote:
The last volumes of the Fruits Basket manga looked like the mangaka passed the art down to an intern. Most artists evolve their style for the better, but the FB manga remains the gold standard for art going from good to terrible.

I'm not sure how I feel about seeing more manga from this author at this point.

I enjoyed Fruits Basket, but the thing I remember most about the art is really struggling to tell characters apart. I don't remember the art degrading, but I do recall it getting harder and harder as more characters were introduced that looked the same.
Kurohei

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:46 am Reply with quote
With Fruits Basket being like the most well known Shojo manga, I'm surprised it hasn't gotten a reboot yet. spoiler[Better get a new VA for Akito] Maybe this sequel will reawaken the fanbase.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:17 am Reply with quote
Maybe this collectors edition will help encourage a US publisher to pick up the series and re-release (hopefully something similar to the collector's edition rather than just re-releasing it as it was originally). As it is, I'm surprised that no one has rescued it, but maybe the Japanese publisher is just asking too much for it, and if that's the reason, having it republished like this in Japan probably wouldn't help. But Fruits Basket really deserves to stay in print if at all possible.

As for the spinoff... well, since it's not going to have any of the original cast, I don't really see much point in it being at all related to Fruits Basket, and it just makes it seem like an attempt to make it sell better by relating it to Fruits Basket than it would on its own merits, which really doesn't say good things about its likely quality (though it may be perfectly fine). If it gets licensed here, I expect that I'll pick it up, but if it doesn't, I'm not exactly going to be broken up over it.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:17 am Reply with quote
Somebody has to put money down if they are wanting to do a "reboot." If there were even the slightest chance that another anime were to be made of Fruit Basket, then it would probably be about the sequel. I'm excited for this, Fruits Basket was responsible for me wanting to check out more shojo titles, so glad that Takaya is taking another trip to this world.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:36 am Reply with quote
It would be nice if those special editions could be released in the U.S. somehow. After all Fruits Basket was a best seller here.

After hearing the synopsis I am not as excited about the sequel manga though.
Akuchotan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:12 am Reply with quote
Yayyy my childhood returns ~!
Totally gonna read!
About the art, sensei's drawing hand was affected by cerebral nerves illness which there were once cost her to went on hiatus.
She's trying her best to continue at least :'))
Camiru Mylle

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:20 am Reply with quote
........MORE MOMIJI! Because his ending is too sad.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:40 am Reply with quote
I believe FB was Tokyopop's #1 best-seller since it sold over 2 million copies in North America. Moments like this might be a reason why perhaps they shoudn't have closed up for a while.
lys

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:17 am Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
As for the spinoff... well, since it's not going to have any of the original cast, I don't really see much point in it being at all related to Fruits Basket, and it just makes it seem like an attempt to make it sell better by relating it to Fruits Basket than it would on its own merits, which really doesn't say good things about its likely quality (though it may be perfectly fine). If it gets licensed here, I expect that I'll pick it up, but if it doesn't, I'm not exactly going to be broken up over it.

The article (and original blog post in Japanese) says that the main cast won't appear, specifying Tohru, Kyo, and Yuki. It doesn't say there'll be no returning characters. I get the impression it'll be set just a little after Tohru's graduation, so younger members of the family would still be around.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3