• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Natsuki Takaya Launches Fruits Basket another Sequel Web Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:54 am Reply with quote
This makes me excited...but mostly nervous. Don't know about the rest of you, but I was in my fair share of Fruits Basket sequel roleplays on gaia back in the day. And those pretty much all had the same terrible recycled plot. "Oh no, the curse isn't gone! New generation of Zodiac!" (Sometimes with a second cursed family thrown in for fun) I hope the author's sequel will be more interesting than that, but given that the main boys so closely resemble Yuki and Kyo, my hopes aren't that high.

As much as I'd love for a new anime (or, what I REALLY want, a reboot of the original), it's pretty unlikely. I heard Takaya and Akitaro Diachi (the director) got along terribly and practically hated each other. I can't imagine her wanting to deal with another adaption. But we can always hope...
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:
but given that the main boys so closely resemble Yuki and Kyo, my hopes aren't that high.

I don't think those were new characters...but Yuki and Kyo. Probably the art was just used to advertise the manga.
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:

I don't think those were new characters...but Yuki and Kyo. Probably the art was just used to advertise the manga.

Ah, that's possible I guess. But doesn't seem likely when the author said Yuki and Kyo won't appear? Guess we'll have to wait and see
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Sorry but the person on the right does not look like Yuki. Though from what I read from her blog it is some time after Tohru, Yuki, and Kyo graduated, so I'm guessing a few years later Sawa comes in. It would be fun to see Momiji again, but for all we know the main cast might not even be any of the Soma clan members. Let's also go over the facts that spoiler[a lot of the characters got paired up at the end. Yuki and Machi, Tohru and Kyo, Isuzu and Hatsu, Hiro and Kisa,] the list keeps going on and on. The Sohma clan may be involved but not as much as you might think.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
manapear

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:30 pm Reply with quote
I hope someone does release the new edition in the West. I want that new cover art~. And Furuba really deserves a reboot. The first anime was cute, but it did the series no justice, in reality.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:43 pm Reply with quote
manapear wrote:
And Furuba really deserves a reboot. The first anime was cute, but it did the series no justice, in reality.

Many of us would love to see that, but how many series has that ever happened to? It wouldn't surprise me if you could count it on one hand. It's probably a few more than that, but I certainly have a very hard time coming up with very many. And as it is, many adaptions of manga and light novels never get completed. So, having one where they go back and reboot it is pretty rare, and while Fruits Basket was quite popular, I don't know that it's popular enough that they would really consider doing that. But I suppose that if they were going to do it, now would be the time, given the fact that they're reprinting the manga this way.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm still hoping for a new anime, this time faithful to the manga...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:56 am Reply with quote
manapear wrote:
And Furuba really deserves a reboot. The first anime was cute, but it did the series no justice, in reality.

I always get the impression Furuba is way more popular, relatively in America than Japan. Not to say it's not popular in Japan of course. It definitely sold well in Japan when it was being released, but I don't see Japanese fans still talking about it much, whereas Americans have been crying for a new anime pretty much constantly over the last 10 years.

I get the feeling they're just attaching the Fruits Basket name to this new series to try and get people to read it.
manapear

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:37 pm Reply with quote
@ Kalessin :
Not many, but I feel there's a chance. Right now, it's more classic, popular series getting reboots. Before, it was titles like FMA (not older or classic, but definitely popular). I have some hope that Furuba might get a reboot, down the line. The manga reprint is what gives me hope.

@ st_owly :

I was considering that too. I'm wondering if it is just more popular/relevant here now, and in part because of how much fewer anime (especially shoujo) we have, and/or because of how much later we got it than Japan.
Courtney2a

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:34 am Reply with quote
I am so excited that they're doing this. I have been upset for years That they didn't finish the series on DVD. I always wanted to physically watch kyo and Tohru be together.but oh well this is a start can't wait
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:56 am Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:
The original was faithful up to where the manga was at the time, which was volume 7. It's shouting for a continuation up to the end really.

As for this "sequel", it's more a spinoff and trying to squeeze more ¥ out of the apple. I agree with the degrading of the drawing quality at the last few chapters. A sign of fatigue, or farming out the work whilst working on a new story.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:42 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Sariachan wrote:
The original was faithful up to where the manga was at the time, which was volume 7. It's shouting for a continuation up to the end really.

Yeah, but unfortunately, as with many anime which are adapted from manga which are still in production, they felt that they needed to do something to put an end on it (be it for the season or forever), and they did it in a way that it was pretty much impossible to continue it, because it diverged from the source material too much. Far too typical an occurrence really. Sad

And if they did redo it, they'd probably feel the need to make it different from the first time, so it would likely adapt the beginning of the manga in a worse manner than the original anime did, even if it managed to do it in a way that allowed them to adapt the whole thing. FMA: Brotherhood suffered from that on some level (e.g. that whole episode with the mine was skipped even though a character from it was important later), though they had added enough material in the original anime that it didn't turn out too badly. The Fruits Basket anime on the other hand held very strongly to its source material, so making it different would mean diverging further from the source material (aside from the end). So, as much as I'd love to see Fruits Basket get another chance at an anime and getting it fully adapted, I wouldn't have high hopes about its quality if they did make it.

But honestly, I'd be very surprised if they ever made another Fruits Basket anime.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:20 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Sariachan wrote:

As for this "sequel", it's more a spinoff and trying to squeeze more ¥ out of the apple. I agree with the degrading of the drawing quality at the last few chapters. A sign of fatigue, or farming out the work whilst working on a new story.

Not completely, see Akito for example. Wink
And I had no problems at all with the art even in later chapters; I did find difficult to distinguish some characters from each other sometimes, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Sariachan wrote:

Not completely, see Akito for example. Wink
And I had no problems at all with the art even in later chapters; I did find difficult to distinguish some characters from each other sometimes, though.
at the time the anime was made people were supposed to assume Akito actually was male, the big reveal 10 volumes later was a big surprise because it was kept such a big secret. (seriously I totally remember anime forums blowing up and fangirls in denial because no one saw it coming.)

while the anime did get Akito's real gender wrong they made the assumption everyone was supposed to make about their gender at that time. so they did keep it as close to canon as they could given what was available at the time even if later stuff invalidated some of the assumptions they made, like Akito's gender, the color of Kyo's bracelet, and how important the cap would turn out to be. nothing in the manga that was out at the time the anime was made goes against the assumptions they made in the anime adaption.

{Edit: Please don't over-quote. Thanks. ~ Psycho 101}
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:11 am Reply with quote
I've always thought the anime stands very well on its own without comparison to the manga, and it worked well with the material available to adapt at the time. I watched the anime a couple of years ago, having not read the manga for a long time, and was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it, having heard all the comparisons.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3