• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Classroom Crisis [2015-07-18]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5-6

This showed some of the forward plot and character development I've been waiting for. I'm surprised there was no mention of Iris's dream and loss of memory though. We've gotten some tantalizing hints about her past I'm not sure what to make of. Did she used to work for Nagisa? Is she related to him? Why does her memory loss go back 10 years when the scene of her apparently delivering something to Nagisa show her as almost her current age? (that was her, wasn't it?)
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Why does her memory loss go back 10 years when the scene of her apparently delivering something to Nagisa show her as almost her current age? (that was her, wasn't it?)

That was a flashback to the end of episode 1 when she showed up to rescue him; the briefcase was the bounty his captors had demanded.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:38 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
The money thing was clearly a deus ex because no large corporation would ever have a rule that allow the lowest member of executive to request infinite money without any oversight. Within 10 minute of that rule going live, someone would have requested a billion dollar and just went off to the bahamas with it. Laughing

There was oversight. It eventually hit Nagisa's desk at the end of the month, where he decided that it was acceptable enough. Every large corporation I have worked for or dealt with has a similar system, where the dollar amount that can be approved increases as you go up the managerial ranks.

In every corporation, if someone decides to steal company equipment or embezzle and run off, it's a huge problem. Expenses need to be made without going to the CEO, though, but most employees are honest or feel that they would be caught.

Somehow investment banks and brokerage houses and hedge funds survive without people stealing all the money that they are approved to handle.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Darkmagick wrote:
That was a flashback to the end of episode 1 when she showed up to rescue him; the briefcase was the bounty his captors had demanded.

So it was. I didn't make that connection because it seems really out of place for that scene. I assumed it was following up Hattori's revelation from the beach for some reason.

So what did I miss in her nightmare that I was supposed to pick up on? Smile
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:01 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:

There was oversight. It eventually hit Nagisa's desk at the end of the month, where he decided that it was acceptable enough. Every large corporation I have worked for or dealt with has a similar system, where the dollar amount that can be approved increases as you go up the managerial ranks.

In every corporation, if someone decides to steal company equipment or embezzle and run off, it's a huge problem. Expenses need to be made without going to the CEO, though, but most employees are honest or feel that they would be caught.

Somehow investment banks and brokerage houses and hedge funds survive without people stealing all the money that they are approved to handle.

Yeah exactly there was an oversight, a deus ex.

The amount of money people can ask for increase up there managerial rank because they can't just fill out the paper multiple time to ask for infinite money. Otherwise there would be no reason to increase it since everyone who had even modest borrowing power would be able to borrow at infinite. And that's exactly why bank don't get swindle out of all there money, because huge company don't have huge obvious loophole that let low level management borrow infinite money with no immediate oversight.
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:57 am Reply with quote
This show has slowly become this season's Plastic Memories for me. And that's no compliment. It's an incredible mess of bad comedy, clichéd drama (sorry, but Nagisa's backstory is just Rolling Eyes) and economy simulation. Well, at least it hasn't turned into a silly romcom...yet.
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:23 pm Reply with quote
So bonus point for having them turn off of the engine and just use inertia to travel as oppose to other show where they go at max acceleration the entire way.

Sadly it almost immediately lose them because they somehow have a spaceship that's only use to travel in space shaped like a space shuttle and with a window... A window that can be broken by gunfire... a window in space...

Oh yeah and they didn't bother tying up anyone, didn't even bother removing the gun from his hand.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Have I missed an announcement on how long this series is supposed to run? I'll usually just assume 12-13 but this has about as much likelihood to adequately wrap up the loose threads of character story in a single cour as an Umetsu anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:12 pm Reply with quote
^I don't recall if there was a specific announcement, but MAL is claiming it's going to be 12 episodes, and MAL is frequently - though not always - right. (And the fact that all the BDs announced so far contain 1-2 episodes supports it being one-cour.)

But perhaps we'll be lucky and we'll find out at the end of this season that it was actually a split-cour all along - it's not so unusual for it not to be announced ahead of time. Though, with it being an original anime not created by particularly big-money names, it seems unlikely...
John Thacker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:06 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Yeah exactly there was an oversight, a deus ex.

The amount of money people can ask for increase up there managerial rank because they can't just fill out the paper multiple time to ask for infinite money. Otherwise there would be no reason to increase it since everyone who had even modest borrowing power would be able to borrow at infinite. And that's exactly why bank don't get swindle out of all there money, because huge company don't have huge obvious loophole that let low level management borrow infinite money with no immediate oversight.

Nope. As a matter of fact, occasional "rogue traders" (such as Nick Leeson, who bankrupted Barings Bank) have swindled banks out of all of their money, as have occasional employees embezzled huge sums of money by abusing processes. It is extremely possible and easy to abuse processes for a short period of time at any large corporation; it's not the difficulty of doing so that prevents it from happening. Therefore in no way can it be called a deus ex machina.

If I connived with my immediate manager and filled out a bunch of expense reports just under the level he could approve, we could get a ton of purchase orders past accounting before his boss, the department manager, saw it in a monthly report. (Needless to say I also could easily spend up to my limit on the company credit card without any sort of prior approval and then try to skip town.) We certainly have arranged our travel or purchase requests to split things up into multiple POs or expenses just under my manager's approval amount. Not to the extent portrayed in CC, but the higher level management has always seen the reports later and retroactively been okay with it. This has been true everywhere I've worked as an engineering employee. That's exactly like what happened in Classroom Crisis; if Nagisa had wanted to make a big deal about it after he saw the report, then he easily could have. He chose not to.

The real reason why companies don't get swindled out of their money is that the vast majority of employees are honest, many perhaps because they're terrified of being caught. It is absolutely not because there are bulletproof procedures preventing it, since any procedures that actually allow money to be spent can be abused. Since companies do need to spend money without endless analysis paralysis, all the companies I've worked at that have had extra levels of anti-fraud measures instituted have rolled back most of them as they interfere with work. In the case of banks and other trading houses, it is absolutely necessary that traders be able to make split second decisions with huge amouts of company funds. There are procedures, but easily circumvented by someone willing to commit fraud that will get noticed (only) after the fact.

In any case, the typical expense report anti-fraud measure of requiring receipts wouldn't matter in a case where the expenses were purchase orders for relevant products bought from the company's normal approved suppliers, which is what happened in Classroom Crisis. It was extremely predictable that when he was promoted into management that he would gain the ability to approval purchase order requests from his students. The solution was not out of nowhere, and is something that could easily be repeated anywhere in an engineering company.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Now we see what Director Yuuji was doing with the money. So in addition to embezzlement, we probably have violations of election laws and maybe even corruption. Not sure if it would be considered bribery as there is not a specific quid pro quo though helping with unions and other stuff might be enough. Now that's dirty politics, not what the union was doing.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:22 am Reply with quote
Episode 8? Yeah, I still don't like Mizuki. In a classroom of geniuses, her job is tending to her brother and her best friend who is the pilot. No, she's an engineer who does blueprints and schematics and she's so good, she can do that in her off hours and spend her on screen time as a minder and busybody. That's not endearing, that's annoying.

What I got from her scene with Nagisa was that he actually wanted to talk with Iris without Mizuki present so he just kept saying what she wanted to hear until she went away.

I thought the manned PET bottle rocket was amusingly dangerous not to mention stupid. It's cute for an advanced learning class to pull something like that off but ATEC builds real interplanetary spacecraft and they look a lot safer than a rocket that goes up, up, up a bit more and than crashes down with the pilot abandoning the craft soon after takeoff via parachute.

Perfectly safe and by safe, I mean he should be dead. Perfectly dead. What, did someone just assume that this would be safer than a rocket that turns into a glider at the height of its trajectory?

There's all the people complaining about windows on planes not being bulletproof- hint: guns aren't allowed on them for several reasons- Prior to that yes, commercial interplanetary travel has become a thing in this world meaning certain things have to happen from spaceport to spaceport and they're called takeoffs and landings... I had a point somewhere around here...Right.

What would have happened if Iris was in that PET rocket and she had a fit, flashback or lost consciousness?
kgw

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:43 am Reply with quote
To be honest, Iris is the test pilot of the team. We have seen from episode 1 how reckless she is and she haven't shown any fit from her -none that I can remember- until episode 8. If anything, there is less danger in flying in a bottle rocket inside a dome than flying an untested spaceship into a asteroid zone or driving a van as a race car.

About episode 09, I can't help wondering if spoiler[what Yuuji did are not punishable crimes (embezzling, illegal funding?) under Japanese law. Because the only punishment he receive is being transfered to Alaska/Hokkaido -in space!-]

Also, for being a "Classroom Crisis", it's mainly the story of Nagisa, as his classmates just appear to make retorts, or have some exposition.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Did the show ever explain why apparently two incumbents were running in the same single seat constituency? Was there a redistricting?
LightningZangetsu27

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:29 am Reply with quote
I certainly didn't see the Nagisa twist that happened this episode ever occuring can they wrap it up nicely in these last two episodes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5