• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Prison School

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bibotot

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:54 am Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
How popular is Romance of the Three Kingdoms in Japan? It must be ingrained in Japanese pop culture for the figures to be used in anime.

It is very popular in Vietnam, so I suppose the same goes to Japan. I am a fan of those books myself.
bibotot

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:57 am Reply with quote
I have not read the manga yet. But before this season ends, will we get to see intense fan service from female characters other than Meiko? I think she has gotten quite enough attention already.
Valhern

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:19 pm Reply with quote
I think this episode is the one where the rushing pace hit the hardest, this should have lasted at least an episode and a half but clearly JC Staff decided to have enough time for the climax to end this season properly, so I think this was the weakest episode so far in direction and pacing.

bibotot wrote:
I have not read the manga yet. But before this season ends, will we get to see intense fan service from female characters other than Meiko? I think she has gotten quite enough attention already.

Hana will have plenty of fanservice reaching the climax. Mari, on the other hand, will have more development (which, in PS, means undressing yourself) in the arc that follows after this season's end. Though, Meiko is like the "mascot" of the series, her design is the first that draws attention from everyone, and her fanservice scenes tend to be the most outrageous and eye-catching (though not the sexiest imo).[/quote]
bibotot

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:

Hana will have plenty of fanservice reaching the climax. Mari, on the other hand, will have more development (which, in PS, means undressing yourself) in the arc that follows after this season's end. Though, Meiko is like the "mascot" of the series, her design is the first that draws attention from everyone, and her fanservice scenes tend to be the most outrageous and eye-catching (though not the sexiest imo).
[/quote]

Hope to see from them. I don't like Meiko and seeing her being the focus of fan service for too long has reduced its effects on me.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:47 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Prison School is trashy and unapologetically crass. I normally do not watch anime built around over the top fanservice, but this show feel fresh enough for me to want to follow weekly.

I will not really care about how bad or well written this show is and how unusual the visuals are as long as it keeps me entertained and curious.

and having a very very good dub also make this a must watch too.

also while its trashy, just be glad its not english dub ghost stories trashy, or worse panty and stocking trashy. cause while their good series they would probably turn your off of the genre in general. especially P&S.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:31 am Reply with quote
In case anyone's curious, the "telecommunications guy" they were referring to is Masayoshi Son, the Korean-Japanese founder of the telecom giant SoftBank and currently the second richest man in Japan. Among other things he's known for making self-deprecating jokes about his receding hairline, while his family name is written with the same Chinese character as that of Sun Tzu, and hence pronounced the same way in Japanese (as well as Korean and Chinese). The more you know...
bibotot

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:17 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
Prison School is trashy and unapologetically crass. I normally do not watch anime built around over the top fanservice, but this show feel fresh enough for me to want to follow weekly.

I will not really care about how bad or well written this show is and how unusual the visuals are as long as it keeps me entertained and curious.

and having a very very good dub also make this a must watch too.

also while its trashy, just be glad its not english dub ghost stories trashy, or worse panty and stocking trashy. cause while their good series they would probably turn your off of the genre in general. especially P&S.

I watch the series for the drama and interesting characters. But the fanserivce is getting old and boring now and I am losing hope in that respect. They tried so hard, but it keeps feeling repetitive.
gedata

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
While far from the most memorable outing

Definitely have to disagree. The scene where Kiyoshi answers the classic "tits vs asses" question through the lens of Social Darwinism is one of this storie's greatest defining points. I'd say this episode wasn't particularly lacking in tension. Sure the chairman is a nice guy overall, but he's damn serious about butts.
HolyR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Man, I just caught up on this from the beginning. I gotta say, from what everyone was saying I was sure I wouldn't like it...and then I just kind of, well, liked it.

I think the draw for me is 1) the tension is really well done, and 2) it's a lot more fun than I expected. Honestly I think the weird fanservice, while definitely weird and a bit unsettling, is blown way out of proportion. It's not really that bad, and it fits in with the tone of the show.

So yeah! Looking forward to the last two episodes!
yaki-udon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:21 pm Reply with quote
There is something indescribably sexy about the way the chairman talks. I find it amusing that Keiji Fujiwara practically uses the same voice for both the chairman and Hiroshi Nohara, though.

I've never eaten a grasshopper. I've heard it tastes like shrimp.

I'm sad there's only two episodes left.
Goober2049

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:23 pm Reply with quote
I haven't read the manga, so I have no idea if this trend continues, but I feel like Gakuto really carries this anime hardcore.

This wouldn't be half the show it is if it weren't for him.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:18 am Reply with quote
man, the whole scene with hana in ep 11 was both cute, funny, disturbing and slightly emotional. I don't know what to feel when watching this anymore heh
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:41 am Reply with quote
That Medusa analogy though.....
bigivel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:03 am Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
How popular is Romance of the Three Kingdoms in Japan? It must be ingrained in Japanese pop culture for the figures to be used in anime.

The Romance of Three Kingdoms is one Four Great Classical Novels of Chinese Literature and is known in East Asia(so including Japan) as Shakespeare.

The manga adaptation of that novel, Sangokushi, was during its release one of the most popular manga in Japan(1971-1986), if not the most, and right now is between the most sold mangas of all time.
Also there are a lot of manga series based at the time of the Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Souten Kouro is a good example of a recent and popular manga about that(1994-2005, with anime in 2009)

Also note that the Era of the Three Kingdoms is considered as the 2nd most bloody era of all time, only behind the World War II. It was a huge event in History.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Aside from all the urine related stuff and the sexual assault, Hana seems very innocent about sexual matters. I mean she's, what, like 16-17, she should know the basic mechanics of this stuff by now. Do they not have sex ed? It's not the Japan of Shimoneta. You see Hana, when a boy sees a girl's...Medusa, his... let's say Metapod uses harden. Aside from the first one, all the embarrassing things that happened to her were a result of her own malicious actions. I'll give her the first one, since while peeing in the woods when there is perfectly good bathrooms nearby is inadvisable, doesn't mean she deserves to have someone watch her pee, albeit accidentally. And certainly, "It was an accident" doesn't excuse everything. Calling her private area Medusa was rude on Kiyoshi's part though apt. No one would accuse the show of being sex-positive. As to the other situations, the embarrassing things were an almost inevitable result of her actions. If going to be near someone peeing (including yourself), there is a not insignificant chance of getting a least a few drops on you. And if you don't want some guys privates touching you, don't make him take his pants and underwear off (as well as her own) and force him in close proximity to you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6