• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Chaos Dragon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:47 am Reply with quote
Episodes #1-3:

I not too fond of the Hit List/Surviving Members List at the end of each episode. I know it's supposed to give a sense of anxiety about which character will be killed, but I think, if they really wanted to create some Today's Death representation, they should've kept all the characters as silhouettes until they die. As it is right now, I'm just not feeling it.

The rest of the show much by-the-book, but episode #2 & #3 were better than #1, IMO.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:24 pm Reply with quote
"Our journey begins now! We'll leave tomorrow!" Confused

My main take-away so far is wondering how the the cleavage assassin walks in those boots. It's like having 8" long toes.

I guess I'm stuck with this, since I want to read Hope's reviews and need to know what she's commenting on to enjoy them. But so far the only character who's at all engaging is Sweallow/Swallow/Swellfellow. I'm also starting to feel a little sympathy for Red Dragon.
Yause

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Chipp12 wrote:

It's a product of both Silver Link and Connect, they are the separate studios. Also Imawa no Kuni no Alice would be a better example since both of directors have worked on it as well.

There's a legal separation, but for all intents and purposes, it's the same studio.

Connect is simply a production management team within Silver Link (production runners, line producer, etc. as depicted in Shirobako), so animation work goes to the same people as required.

It isn't clear why they set things up this way, but legal separation means that Connect (whose members were basically hired for their vast connections to talent) doesn't have to operate under the same corporate hierarchy and pay scale as the rest of the company. Beyond that, they have no additional autonomy, nor do they have an independent budget.
Blankslate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Huh. With Rokka progressively getting worse and Chaos Dragon progressively getting better, this might eventually overtake Rokka as my go-to fantasy epic of the season.
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:31 pm Reply with quote
If there ever was a show I'd watch just for the concept, it'd be this so I guess I'll eked following it for awhile, hoping for the best. Looking at it from a DnD point of view is definitely the way to go, since there's really nothing else to see.

I love DnD storytelling because of all the "WTF" moment that happen and force you to keep moving the story along, like one of the main character that's deeply connected to the plot dying forcing the plot to progress without them. It really allows for story element to appear that you would just never get in traditional story. This does mean that the first episode won't showcase the true potential since you have a bunch of character with boring/predictable story just sort being there. But still, what a terrible first impression, I think part of the reason is that the first episode is so incredibly focused on the most boring character, and the drama felt so forced. This is where DnD storytelling could shine, we might get lucky and that character will get killed (of course I doubt that, too many GM just intervene to save character).

Completely unrelated, anyone knows who's AholePony avatar? I feel like I've seen her before but can't but the figure on it...
AholePony

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:08 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the clarifications Yause, maybe this show just plain looks cheap, oh well.

@meiam, That is Shion Arita, Birdy Cephon Altera's alter personality in Birdy the Mighty:Decode Smile
ajr

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Sweallow Cratsvalley
Sweallow Cratsvalley

That's amazing. Laughing

I was half-expecting this to be a train wreck from the get-go anyway, so I'm still pretty excited about it. I'm very glad you're reviewing this, Hope. I was afraid of we'd readers would just get reviews of the events within the show itself, ignoring the larger context.

Putting the experienced players as supporting characters is actually a really sharp move, and doesn't seem like an amateur move by Makoto Sanda, so I'm hoping, despite the overly dramatic ability of the hero Ibuki (Simadoriru), that things will move in an interesting direction.

10:1 odds though that at some point Sweallow (Nasu) uses Lou's (Urobuchi's) soul-eating sword, hopefully sooner rather than later.
Merostay

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:28 pm Reply with quote
ajr wrote:
Quote:
Sweallow Cratsvalley
Sweallow Cratsvalley

That's amazing. Laughing

I was half-expecting this to be a train wreck from the get-go anyway, so I'm still pretty excited about it. I'm very glad you're reviewing this, Hope. I was afraid of we'd readers would just get reviews of the events within the show itself, ignoring the larger context.

Putting the experienced players as supporting characters is actually a really sharp move, and doesn't seem like an amateur move by Makoto Sanda, so I'm hoping, despite the overly dramatic ability of the hero Ibuki (Simadoriru), that things will move in an interesting direction.

10:1 odds though that at some point Sweallow (Nasu) uses Lou's (Urobuchi's) soul-eating sword, hopefully sooner rather than later.

not necesarily Sanda`s decision, Sanda really wanted to make Swallow the MC(he even asked the character designer to draw Swallow more main character-ish), but Nasu refused, saying that it doesnt work for Swallow to be the MC
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:54 pm Reply with quote
ajr wrote:

Given the shows production values, I'm worried about them trying to animate that. Dialing up the power of a weapon that rapidly incites violent, jealous infighting to 11 would tend to cause quite the bit of carnage unless this happens in the middle of nowhere and the show hasn't done well in depicting large fights (not that it's done all that much better with small fights). Still, something to look forward to just on concept.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Unless I missed it somewhere, Lou had nothing to do with Gakusho's reactions during this episode. Unless something happens completely offscreen before Ibuki and Lou go to meet Gakusho, Lou is separated from Ibuki and Eykha before they even are brought in front of Gakusho and then she resurrects the massive dome. Gakusho thinks Ka Grava is dead simply from the fact that she personally shot him in the head from her sniper rifle. She tears up the letter cause she believes Ka Grava to be dead so any message he would have is now irrelevant to her. She just wanted to meet the descendent of the imperials.

Lou just figured the only way to stop everything would be to kill Gakusho. She wouldn't have to do anything except be there to witness it.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Barbobot wrote:
Unless I missed it somewhere, Lou had nothing to do with Gakusho's reactions during this episode. Unless something happens completely offscreen before Ibuki and Lou go to meet Gakusho, Lou is separated from Ibuki and Eykha before they even are brought in front of Gakusho and then she resurrects the massive dome. Gakusho thinks Ka Grava is dead simply from the fact that she personally shot him in the head from her sniper rifle. She tears up the letter cause she believes Ka Grava to be dead so any message he would have is now irrelevant to her. She just wanted to meet the descendent of the imperials.

Lou just figured the only way to stop everything would be to kill Gakusho. She wouldn't have to do anything except be there to witness it.

My thoughts exactly. I'm not really seeing the extra suspension of disbelief that this would cause that Hope mentioned in her review.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:56 pm Reply with quote
and I am just laughing at the fact that urobuchi just wants to kill people, or make them kill each other, that works too.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Ah, my bad. I thought Lou had imparted that info because Gakusho had no reason to think that Ibuki was an Imperial if she hadn't been told. So I figured if Lou told her that, she must have also told her Kaguraba was dead. I mean, think about it. If Kaguraba isn't dead, who are they receiving a messenger from? They welcome Lou and her little buddy because they know who Lou is, but if she told them she came courtesy of Kaguraba, then Gakusho wouldn't have reacted the way that she did.

I guess what I'm saying is plotholes open up real fast if your explanation is right and Lou did nothing whatsoever besides slobber at the idea of bloodshed, but you're probably right in that she had very little to do with Gakusho's reaction, which would just make it bad, unclear character writing.

Oh well.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:03 am Reply with quote
Well someone must have said something when they arrived or they wouldn't have just let them waltz in, and I assume it was something on the order of, "We're here to negotiation on behalf of Kaguraba, and this is the Imperial."

I can't remember if he showed them his sword before or after the dome was erected, but even if it was after, Gakusho could have just been curious to see what he was playing at, or if he was in fact the real deal. Also, even if they said Kaguraba sent them, it wouldn't have to be the truth and she clearly didn't believe that part, having shot him in the head herself. So she tore up the letter to show him she was already on to that lie (which of course wasn't a lie) and that whatever else he had up his sleeve had better be good.

I probably got something wrong about that, since I always do, but that was my take on it. Smile
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:22 am Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
Ah, my bad. I thought Lou had imparted that info because Gakusho had no reason to think that Ibuki was an Imperial if she hadn't been told. So I figured if Lou told her that, she must have also told her Kaguraba was dead. I mean, think about it. If Kaguraba isn't dead, who are they receiving a messenger from? They welcome Lou and her little buddy because they know who Lou is, but if she told them she came courtesy of Kaguraba, then Gakusho wouldn't have reacted the way that she did.

I guess what I'm saying is plotholes open up real fast if your explanation is right and Lou did nothing whatsoever besides slobber at the idea of bloodshed, but you're probably right in that she had very little to do with Gakusho's reaction, which would just make it bad, unclear character writing.

Oh well.

Well, Ibuki showed the sword before he was let in, which signified him as a member of the royal family. That's how Gakusho knew; Lou didn't need to tell her. Unless I'm remembering the details wrong, in which case yeah, bad character writing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8