• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Chaos Dragon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:52 am Reply with quote
Yeah Lou did nothing shifty here, if anything it's just Ibuki being damn slow to react and ask her to read the letter (why he didn't say what the letter was right away just point to him being pretty dumb once again).

Nothing all that interesting happen, although I don't really get the revolutionary army. So there leader is in prison, yet they just let his subordinate walk in and talk to him and there even cutting deal with him? But at the same time there trying to cut his source of funding? And what was D'natia doing there anyway? There super far away from there side of the continent, why would they bother sending an army on the other side which would be cut off from reinforcement and easy picking?
Random 21

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4: B-

Chaos Dragon sits in this weird place for me. It's a hatewatch, a guilty pleasure, kinda. It's not really any good, but I still enjoy it regardless. It's probably one of the worst shows I'm following (I mean, besides Bikini Warriors and Makura no Danshi but they don't count), but I look forward to it as much as I do my favorite shows of the season (Charlotte and Durarara).

Narita's character is by far the best one, really nutty design and personality, which suits Narita perfectly. He was by far the best part of the episode, and will probably be what keeps me as motivated as I am. Boochi's character isn't really any good in terms of the show, but is way much more fun when you think of her in terms of the meta-narrative Hope mentioned in the first review, and how she reflects Boochi's attitude. Nasu is boring but not everything can be fun.

I guess it's a pretty fun. It isn't the insane mess I was expecting (or hoping for), but I guess it's not awful. Not good either, mind you, but fun.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:26 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
...if anything it's just Ibuki being damn slow to react and ask her to read the letter (why he didn't say what the letter was right away just point to him being pretty dumb once again).

He did tell her what it was when he handed it to her, insofar as he knew. He hadn't read it either (like reading someone else's mail) and had only been told it was an apology for the month he'd been out.

What I'd like to know is what was going on for a whole month until he got back in his tin can? I would have thought it was a flashback when she shot him, but Ibuki and Lou were riding on the parade float, so they were clearly there at the time. Did the expedition just hang out in the city for a month, with the two armies on vacation just camping outside (I guess D'Natia was still on its way, but why was Kouran doing nothing for a month?)? It seems very bizarre for the whole world to come to a screeching halt with the "death" of a ruler and that nothing at all seems to have changed during that month. Also, kind of kills any sense of urgency in meeting the Red Dragon. Confused
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I thought the month they were referring to was already past at the time the expedition arrived. That is to say, he was asleep until Lou and Ibuki arrived at his estate and initially encountered him in that series of tubes. The whole head being blown off thing was seemingly resolved quite quickly.

Plus, it's based on an RPG, right? The main quest is always "urgent" but somehow you find time to help someone round up chickens while the villains raze villages elsewhere.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
What I'd like to know is what was going on for a whole month until he got back in his tin can?

He was asleep for a month, showed up, there was a parade, then he was shot in the head. The parade was there to celebrate him waking up
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Ok, I finally had to go back and rewatch it. I got confused because after he was shot, Sol said it took a whole month for the overhaul, and I thought he was referring to fixing the bubble head, and Kaguraba followed that up by apologizing for making them wait. I thought he was being ironic in his understatement. Smile

I think I understand the timeline now. Thanks for the clarification!
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Random 21 wrote:

Nasu is boring but not everything can be fun.

that works for the meta too, now if only he start having episode lenght monologues disguised as dialogues, preferably while holding a glass of wine while walking on circles...
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Well of course the party left Lou to guard Ibuki, she's his friend!

The next episode looks like it's going to introduce a special plot point from the original campaign - spoiler[people returning from the dead. I wonder if Ibuki's contract with the Red Dragon absorbs souls the same way that Qisha Tianling does; if it doesn't, then his power becomes even more hilarious.

At any rate, we better get Zombie Overlord Urobuchan out of this.]
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Everyone knows about your lesbian fetish by now, Boochi. We're onto you.

iirc, Uro originally played as a guy, so this scene in particular can't really be pinned on him.

Quote:
So who's going to die to keep him alive this time?

Considering the teaser for next episode, I'd say an old friend who will show up from the wonderful world of Off-Screen only to die. Yay?
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That begs the question of what use she could have for an item that gives Kouran power, since she doesn't seem to care about her home country at all. I'm sure she'll think of something, though.

She expressly says she'll use it to weaken the Red Dragon so she can feed it to her sword, giving more power to Kouran is just an inevitable side-effect that she probably doesn't care about.

I respectfully disagree with Hope, I don't think the plot is complex or that the pacing is solid at all. I've found the whole narrative extremely weird and jerky, we jump from one scene to the other with barely any connective tissue ad sometimes the jumps are confusing and rough. There is no sense of actual drama or gravitas to any scene because it all feels so flat, like they're just going through the motions of a cookie cutter fantasy without putting any heart into it.

My fave part of the episode was when Nasu's character, whose name I can't bother learning, gave us this amazing line:

I'm so glad he hasn't lost his touch 11 years after "People die when they are killed" :'D

I do agree with Hope that Nasu is the most boring character of the show while Narita is the best and most interesting
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:52 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:

iirc, Uro originally played as a guy, so this scene in particular can't really be pinned on him.

Yeah, it was just a joke.

But he does love lesbians.
bobob101

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:06 am Reply with quote
As if I would turn down a chance to sleep with Urobuchi! But shock of shocks Nasu's character is poorly written and characterized. Totes didn't see that coming.

So zombies, yah. While saying this show reached a high point might be generous, it wasn't crashing and burning like it was in the first two episodes. Now I like weird messed up shows like chaos dragon, but it still has a lot of bullshit that even I can't get behind.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:07 am Reply with quote
I wonder if, since the dragons influence the land, the reverse might also be true, which would explain how the Red Dragon could go berzerk.

Also, I hate to be that guy, but:

Kouran = China

D'Natia = the US

Nil Kamui = Japan

China invades Japan while the US, it's supposed ally, sits at its bases and does nothing.

Swallow is tough, but destroys everything delicate and is stupid. Plus he's got blond hair and blue eyes (obviously, an American).

Lou is sinister, powerful, and double-dealing.

Oh, and Hibiki... I'll just leave him alone for now.

The scales are cultural influence: both Kouran and D'Natia want to impose their culture on Nil Kamui, even if it destroys the social fabric of the nation.

I'm sure I'm over-thinking things, but I thought it was interesting how easily it all seemed to fall into place. Razz
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Zombies might be a slightly silly development but at least put some pressure on the party members, finally. Ibuki is the only character that's had to take risks or make hard decisions to this point and it's starting to get kind of boring.

I'm holding on to a tiny hope that Lou's motivations and relationship to her sword aren't as transparent as they seem, either. This episode included one interesting note to keep said hope alive: The sword's question to Lou about what she was doing when she broke away from the caravan seemed like less-than-friendly curiosity. I'm not sure it trusts her either.
Merostay

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:10 am Reply with quote
HelloBucket wrote:
Zombies might be a slightly silly development but at least put some pressure on the party members, finally. Ibuki is the only character that's had to take risks or make hard decisions to this point and it's starting to get kind of boring.

I'm holding on to a tiny hope that Lou's motivations and relationship to her sword aren't as transparent as they seem, either. This episode included one interesting note to keep said hope alive: The sword's question to Lou about what she was doing when she broke away from the caravan seemed like less-than-friendly curiosity. I'm not sure it trusts her either.

Zombie`s was how the tabletop version handled dying.

Nil Kamui is cursed and the dead can come back to life, if the dead person is lucky(rolls high enough) they come back to life as if they never died in the first place.

in the table top version, Eykha didn't survive the meeting with the red dragon, she got a face full of dragons breath, but she rolled high enough and revived(on a side note, we were never privy to the rezz rolls, its as if they didn't care how much you rolled, you were coming back to life.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8