• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Chaos Dragon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Something I don't understand and I'm not sure if it's supposed to be a loose end or if it's just a forgotten plothole, but didn't Sweallow activate the Black Dragon McGuffin last week? This nullified the Red Dragon's power over the zombies or something like that, but, as it was explained, if the flow of magic in Nil Kamui has changed from Red Dragon to Black Dragon, why did no one comment on it? Meryl told Sweallow not to use the thingy because even the crops in the island depended on the Red Dragon's magic flow, but somehow nothing seems affected? Or was Sweallow's activation just a halfway activation and how did that even work?

I also agree that Mashiro's return was wildly stupid, but even moreso that Ibuki was just ok with it. Ibuki has gone from hapless pacifist to manipulable dumb kid.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:03 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Something I don't understand and I'm not sure if it's supposed to be a loose end or if it's just a forgotten plothole, but didn't Sweallow activate the Black Dragon McGuffin last week? This nullified the Red Dragon's power over the zombies or something like that, but, as it was explained, if the flow of magic in Nil Kamui has changed from Red Dragon to Black Dragon, why did no one comment on it?

Guy from D'Natia with the big sword seemed to have noticed, since apparently his attack got much more powerful than he had predicted. I can only assume since Red Dragon had already gone bonkers maybe Nil Kamui had already been having issues with their flow of magic, or there just aren't that many magic users in there to notice.
bobob101

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8 was the tipping point for me. Not in terms of dropping or not, but because Chaos Dragon has gone from bad to hilarious degrees of suck. I had a BLAST laughing at every stupid thing happening on the screen this episode. This is what I like to call nega-quality: there is so little quality in this show that it becomes a stand out show for all the wrong reasons. What a show, what a show.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I really don't see how the Mashiro revival would have worked in the tabletop campaign.

DM- Mashiro is back

Ibuki player- Who?

DM- You know the girl you sacrificed in our first session

I- Oh yeah, the one I definitely killed, its a fake for sure

DM- You gotta make a perception check for that

I- WHAT!?...fine /roll. Oh c'mon a 1!

DM- Well you believe this is the real one and you don't question this any further

Question being, what actually happened in the campaign? I also have a hard time believing they'd change something. They had to know that the only interesting part of this show is the tabletop aspect, changing anything is a bound to be a bad idea. Then again the quality is so low it make me seriously question there skip at... well everything.
Chipp12

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:41 am Reply with quote
Let's start with Ibuki not having one-hit-kill technique in the original campaign in the first place. Also not only Mashiro didn't return - she didn't even die in the first place and wasn't really that important as a character.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:59 am Reply with quote
Episode #8:

When Ibuki just fell hook, line, and sinker for Mashiro Sagura's "miraculous" survival, I wanted to slam my head against the wall. It isn't like when the information that a character has died comes from a verbal source, without any evidence to back that up, or that the character "fell into a pit/down a waterfall/left for dead and was suppose to die, but didn't," but it was a case of the character is question -- Mashiro -- was stabbed to death by the protagonist. It killed any emotional development that this episode tried to achieve. And the footage from the mall-like "conveniently"-place security cameras didn't help.

I did laugh, however, when Mashiro was re-tagged.

Last edited by Hameyadea on Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:02 am; edited 3 times in total
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Chipp12 wrote:
Let's start with Ibuki not having one-hit-kill technique in the original campaign in the first place. Also not only Mashiro didn't return - she didn't even die in the first place and wasn't really that important as a character.

Wait for real?

Wow the company doing the adaptation really doesn't understand the concept of adaptation...
Chipp12

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:22 am Reply with quote
Yeah Ibuki had some enchanting/buffing abilities instead, so he acted more like a support.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:41 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Wait for real?

Wow the company doing the adaptation really doesn't understand the concept of adaptation...

They're adapting the light novel spawned from the campaign, not the campaign itself.
Chipp12

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:43 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
meiam wrote:
Wait for real?

They're adapting the light novel spawned from the campaign, not the campaign itself.

The only light novel that "spawned" from the campaign is the novellization of anime which I've mentioned here on the first page.

The books that came before have the same content as here and are just the texts from the actual sessions.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:58 am Reply with quote
Chipp12 wrote:
The only light novel that "spawned" from the campaign is the novellization of anime which I've mentioned here on the first page.
The books that came before have the same content as here and are just the texts from the actual sessions.

I see, I thought Red Dragon already had those changes the anime has in comparison to the campaign. The fact that it has a different name even should've tipped me off.
Chipp12

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:23 am Reply with quote
If anyone's interested there are some translations of the original campaign available here though there isn't much content here since all this was covered (well, together with anime original changes/fillers) in the first 3 episodes maybe?
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Man, Ibuki going full dumbass this episode was absolutely hilarious. I thought Inori and Mashiro nuzzling him would be the comedy highlight, but Mashiro tonguing Eiha took the crown.

I doubt this will happen, but hopefully Ibuki's under a BECOME A DUMBASS spell or something.

At the rate this adaptation's going, we might not even get spoiler[zombie overlord Urobuchan.] And if that doesn't happen, then I'm immediately rating every episode a half-star and decrying this thing to the end of time, Swallow be damned.
Chipp12

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:35 am Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
At the rate this adaptation's going, we might not even get spoiler[zombie overlord Urobuchan.] And if that doesn't happen, then I'm immediately rating every episode a half-star and decrying this thing to the end of time, Swallow be damned.

Pretty sure there's going to be another cour next year.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Chipp12 wrote:
Pretty sure there's going to be another cour next year.

Wait, seriously?

Jesus, and I thought Shinmai Maou was a long shot.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8