• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Ushio & Tora

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chex mix

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:03 pm Reply with quote
This show is so damn fun!

I recently rewatched Inuyasha and the original Tenchi OVAs, so the whole "seriously, don't go into the basement, I'm not kidding" demon buddy comedy thing is clearly something I've been in the mood for. I'm feeling it. Laughing
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:06 am Reply with quote
Andrew Cunningham wrote:

And if it was Shinto, it would be a shrine, not a temple. Instantly recognizable by the torii gates.

Last OT comment on this: while a torii gate is usually associated with Shinto shrines, the presence of one doesn't necessarily mean the location is a shrine, while the lack of one doesn't necessarily mean it is not a Shinto shrine. Yuuki Shrine in the base of Mt. Kurama doesn't have a torii gate, it has a large Mon gate guarding the entrance to the mountain instead. Due to the high degree of religious syncretism, it's not that uncommon to find Buddhist temples with torii gates, and it's even less uncommon to find small shinto shrines inside buddhist temple grounds. Off the top of my head, Sanjuusangendo in Kyoto, famous for its 1000 gold statues of Kanon, goddess of mercy, has a small Inari shrine in its grounds
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:59 am Reply with quote
I'm enjoying this new rendition quite a bit, it definitely gives off the same gusto and spirit of the 90's, as well as the same sort of storytelling that those series back then would often have. I would agree with the sentiment that this new rendition lays the slapstick on a bit heavier than I remember from the original (and the opening sequence is so intensely GUTS! in a way that the original never seemed to be), but I think that's still fine, it's generally nice to see that sort of lively personality in a modern work.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:02 pm Reply with quote
need I repeat?
Weazul-chan wrote:
Quote:
With origins as an OVA in 1993

umm... the origin is the manga which the OVAs were based on which started in 1990.

the wording makes it sound like the OVA is the source material when the manga started 3 years before the OVA.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Liking the show from what I've seen so far. I'll be sticking with this one too it seems.
noigeL

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:56 am Reply with quote
I watched the first two episodes of Ushio and Tora the other night and I'm just so, so happy this exists. I've always had a lot of nostalgia for the original OVA and even found it mostly held up as an entertaining series after re-watching it a couple years back.

Although the two episodes of the new TV series didn't present me with much in the way of new material, it was satisfying as hell to revisit. The artwork and animation are damn pretty and I'm really liking the new voice cast. Newcomer Tasuku Hatanaka brings the right amount of energy to Ushio and Rikiya Koyama chews on every single line of Tora's dialog with a satisfying crunch.

Although the music is good, I don't think it as memorable as the score from the original OVA, which was really unique. But that's a pretty small complaint. I don't normally watch simulcasts but I'm sure as hell gonna watch this one.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:00 pm Reply with quote
episode 4 was interesting

i guess i'm one of those humans who are protected against demons (Tora at least?) Laughing

change in diet for Tora is in order..
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:32 pm Reply with quote
I appreciate that episode 4 finally answered a question I've been asking myself for a while: what's keeping Tora from going out there and eating some humans? Hopefully he enjoyed that burger.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:53 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed episode 4 quite a lot, it was great to see Tora in action yet again. Hackneyed premise and all, I still found myself getting swept up in the energy of the episode. I think this 90s energy and natural charisma is what I've been missing lately in anime.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:26 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed 4 quite a bit, I don't see what made this one look cheap, especially compare to the crappy CG we get in most modern anime (just compare to chaos dragon).

I'm also pretty good with not having an overly dramatic backstory for the villain, they weren't really the main subject of this week. I'd say 4 was better than 3.
BockLefty

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:50 am Reply with quote
This series is growing on me. I had thought about dropping it, but I am starting to find it's classic style charming and comforting. It's like a fast food version of anime, but in an In N Out kind of way, not a McDonalds kind of way. Can I call it the In N Out of anime? Or is that too high of praise? Anyway, I think episode 3 was a turning point. I did like episode 4 though. It had some nice development from Inoue, as she was brought in on the action. I was kind of hoping we'd get a reaction to Tora eating that burger though. One of the things I want to see in here is legitimate change from Tora, but it is humorous to see the excuses he makes for not being able to eat anyone.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:54 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
I enjoyed 4 quite a bit, I don't see what made this one look cheap,

They were referring to the techniques used, which in older Anime, and still plenty today, are used to cut corners. In this case they were referring to the fight, where a panning camera and lines are used to make a static image look animated. And the city backgrounds when Tora gets there, I don't know if you noticed but all the people were still, looking closely a lot were very simple drawings.

Personally speaking I don't mind, but from a review point, I suppose they are a negative.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Watching Tora struggle in the city was quite amusing, and what great ways to make sure he can't really eat any innocent bystanders. spoiler[Haha, perfume, cologne or being tricked out with metal is what renders him powerless.]

I was a bit surprised at the level of gruesome in this episode (not saying I didn't expect it), but I assume spoiler[the two women we saw getting attacked were beheaded (woman on the sidewalk) and had their entire upper body eaten off (woman in the car) respectively]?
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Holy crap... Tora was so goddamn badass in episode 4. DAMN!!!
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:16 pm Reply with quote
I really liked episode 5 a lot; possibly my favorite episode so far. I was especially fond of the moral dilemma Ushio faced, and how he dealt with it (and how his friend helped him). I figured at the beginning this was going to be a 3-episode-and-drop kind of show, but I'm greatly enjoying myself so far.

Also, about Ushio being able to be caught on camera despite being usually invisible, the show has clearly established that he has two modes of being: invisible to normal people (and far less physically substantial), but far less powerful, and visible to everyone and at normal power. He had just gotten out of a fight when he was captured on camera, so it stands to reason that he was in his "power" mode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 12