• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Ushio & Tora

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
XerBlade
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Lauren wrote:
if people can't see Tora (except children sometimes), why does he appear on TV

Normal people can't see him when he's in his spirit form. When he... powers up and goes physical basically... (lots of swirling spirit energy can force this to happen, part of why I said it in the cliche way), anyone can see him.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

That was the most conveniently situated tv I have ever seen in the long tradition of handy news reports.
noigeL

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:32 am Reply with quote
Just finished watching episode 4. This story was one of my favourites from the older OVA series, so it was interesting to watch this condensed version as a comparison. The OVA told the same story in two parts, and it came later in the run (after Hyou, for example). I don't know which is more accurate to the manga, but I wish the TV adaptation had done a two-parter as well.

As a two-parter, the OVA established the Gamen family as incredibly scary and fearsome monsters (the violence helped with that too, but I understand TV has restrictions), plus there was a lot more humour with Tora in the city. Most importantly, the OVA really established Mayuko's fear and Ushio's desperation, with the former constantly running for her life from horrifying demons, and the latter helping her barely escape but unable to effectively stop the Gamen.

By halving the story, the TV version just runs by too quickly. It's not badly compressed, but it just wasn't enough.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:46 am Reply with quote
I'd love to be watching this, but here in Japan it's being shown on exactly five channels nationwide, and the streaming options are all PPV after the first episode. I guess I'll watch when the discs hit the rental outlets.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:36 pm Reply with quote
so.. instead of showing a skeleton of a young child

they used a shoe and blood instead...i guess it still works..
chex mix

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Episode five felt lacking in energy in a way the previous episodes never had any problem with.

I couldn't bring myself to care about the exorcist or his sad cliche of a backstory. Mainly because he would not stop the obnoxious whine-yelling of names until I wanted to smack him to unstick the needle from the record so we could move on.

I want Tora to develop a cheeseburger addiction, now. Cool
malvarez1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:05 am Reply with quote
chex mix wrote:

I want Tora to develop a cheeseburger addiction, now. Cool

I think you'll be pleased, then...
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:13 am Reply with quote
A... I really don't like obnoxious kid character so this episode was awful for me, they really couldn't introduce Ushio past in another way?
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:35 pm Reply with quote
I don't know exactly why this episode didn't click for me, it had a bunch of stuff happening that I usually like (Main character's past being explained and showing how much he's grown, Tora becoming more of a friend instead of his in-between that was getting annoying already, an enemy that was really menancing), but none of it 'clicked'. I kept getting annoyed by the apparent "monster of the week with a message at the end" vibe the episode gave me.
Knowing that I missed the post-credits scene (I don't usually stop watching at the ED, but this particular episode I was already in a sour enough mood to not want to watch it), I guess this cements a drop for me, since I really don't feel like going to watch it now.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:04 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't as thrilled with this episode as I think I should have been. The pieces were in place, but none of them connected in anything more than a rudimentary, "okay" way. Also, I found the scene switching really awkward and hasty. I am interested in the promise of a continuing story arc, though. Considering just how enjoyable every episode has been up to this point, I'm looking forward to it.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:16 pm Reply with quote
The story featured in episode six constituted two OVA episodes, and the additional run time definitely worked to the series' advantage. They've expertly condensed other two-episode stories into single installments for the TV series, but this week was the first time I felt like too much content was being crammed into 24 minutes and some change.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:32 am Reply with quote
Was Nakamura using a cell phone inside the snake's belly? Wasn't this manga written in the 90s? I'm so confused right now... Confused
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:03 pm Reply with quote
And now we get the best episode yet! Ushio and Tora is constantly surprising me with how much emotional range it has and how deftly it can handle various tones. I am now fully invested in this show's story. If it can maintain this level of quality, it may be one of the best shows of the year.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:45 pm Reply with quote
so the journey begins..

i've always wondering about that piece of cloth on the spear...

maybe later there will a time Ushio will need to remove it
doubleO7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:53 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Knowing that I missed the post-credits scene (I don't usually stop watching at the ED, but this particular episode I was already in a sour enough mood to not want to watch it), I guess this cements a drop for me, since I really don't feel like going to watch it now.

Well, just so you know, most of the post-credit scene was repeated at the beginning of Episode 7. So it's not really a big deal that you missed it.

relyat08 wrote:
Was Nakamura using a cell phone inside the snake's belly? Wasn't this manga written in the 90s? I'm so confused right now... Confused

Well, it's not like there weren't cell phones in the 90's. It appeared to have a touchscreen though, which I assume was something they updated for the modern adaptation. An unnecessary change IMO, if that is the case.

Still, she managed to make a phone call from the belly of a giant sea snake. Japan must have damn good cell reception Wink

Last edited by doubleO7 on Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 12