• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Ushio & Tora

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

And the kappa was great. I hope we get to see more of him.

Anybody else think the old guy in the woods is a youkai?

for those who read the manga they should know the answers

i didn't finish the manga but the anime is catching up to the last place i left off.. they are skipping chapters and jumping around various chapters.

i'm curious how they decide which chapter to animate ?
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

They are working with the manga artist and he is telling them what chapters to animate or something a long those lines
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:23 pm Reply with quote
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:

Ya think? Shocked In case it wasn't clear, I was directing my question to people who have not read the source material, since anyone who has, obviously already knows. I suppose I need to add that disclaimer to every idle speculation I post on these boards. smh
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:

Ya think? Shocked In case it wasn't clear, I was directing my question to people who have not read the source material, since anyone who has, obviously already knows. I suppose I need to add that disclaimer to every idle speculation I post on these boards. smh

Rolling Eyes oh? so you intentionally spoiling it for someone else by creating a question about the up coming episode that you already know the answer to from reading the manga ? smh

some users here are like patients with hemorrhoids.. easily agitated over the simplest thing.. Confused

sailorsweeper wrote:
Quote:

They are working with the manga artist and he is telling them what chapters to animate or something a long those lines

i see.. thanks for the explanation. so that's why Yotsuba has no anime version
http://myanimelist.net/manga/104/Yotsubato!

i'm guessing the manga author didn't want one?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:02 pm Reply with quote
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:
Rolling Eyes oh? so you intentionally spoiling it for someone else by creating a question about the up coming episode that you already know the answer to from reading the manga ? smh

I don't know how you managed to interpret that as me saying I ever read the manga, but let me spell it out even more clearly. I pretty much don't ever read manga, mostly because my vision makes it difficult to sort out the b/w images. So I get pretty sick of people using any excuse to bring the source material into anime discussions. Some anime discussions around here are fully 30% or more about the manga, despite the fact that we have a manga forum here which is like a desert.

What I was saying was that apparently I don't dare speculate on anything in the anime without saying explicitly that I don't want to hear the answers or any reply at all from people who know the answer already. Because someone is bound to come back with "we manga readers already know," or "that will be answered in 2 episodes" or something and you guys don't seem to realize that you give away things as much by what you say you're not going to say as by what you actually say.

I'm sorry I ever asked the question in the first place. I should have known better.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm having some real fun with this series. Glad its continuing into Fall, especially now that it's getting to some real juicy parts.

And Gina; I was wondering the same thing.

As an extra note, the anime talkback forums work under the context of treating the anime as its own entity. People do not ask questions and expect source material spoilers. They're pretty much off-limits here unless tagged, anyway. The talkback is purely for the anime; Gina was acting within how these threads work. There was no intention to spoil, just curiosity and wanting to discuss...
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:57 pm Reply with quote
As of episode 13, we are now a third of the way through the series, and I am enjoying it quite a lot. The leads are interesting, likeable and very entertaining, both alone and together, the 90s feel is still going strong (and still welcome), the production is consistent and the pacing is good. Also, I'm glad to see some significant answers here, and seeing Ushio and Tora develop as characters is great to see.
Episode 13 was a good, well-balanced episode. Looking forward to more!
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:30 am Reply with quote
This weeks episode felt like a kid friendly version of Berserk.
Azmodeus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:47 am Reply with quote
I haven't read the manga, so i feel pretty confident in posting this without spoiling anything.

Alot of what we have seen of youkai recently, and their often paradoxial relationship with humans, gave me a bit of an Eureka experince this episode, regarding Ushios mother. Remember how Hakumen no mono specificaly said that it liked human misery, so it wouldn't harm humans, but found other youkai superfluous? What if the goal of the women protecting him is the eradication of japans youkai? It would tie into the series overall themes of co-existence, compromise and reconciliation. Judge's still out on wether the cult is in on it or if they have other goals (keeping the one thing capable of going against hakumen safe and whatnot). And then there's the spirit floating around Sukago in the OP.

The plot thickens, and it will be fun seeing where it all leads.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:53 pm Reply with quote
My guess is that spoiler[even though they thought they had it on the ropes and only had to finish it off, they were wrong (just as Hitotsuki was when he fought Tora this week and thought he had him beat), and she sealed it to protect them from being wiped out.]

spoiler[Probably only demons working with the Beast Spear wielder can finish it off, and the Beast Spear has been in use for the last 500 years. The Kappa said that it was only when the HnM's identity was discovered by humans that it retreated, so it sounds like there needs to be a human component in the effort to defeat it.]

Could someone clarify the timeline for me? Tora's been speared for 500 years, but didn't they say the HnM had been sealed for 1000 years? But the reason Tora wasn't there to help finish the fight was because he was sealed himself (Hitotsuki said he just "lost interest" but Tora implies that that was when he got speared). What happened during the previous 500 years? Did they spend 500 years looking for him, during which Tora was no longer interested and then he got speared while wandering off on his own?

(if you know the answers from source material, please don't reply to this at all)
Azmodeus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Did they spend 500 years looking for him, during which Tora was no longer interested and then he got speared while wandering off on his own?

(if you know the answers from source material, please don't reply to this at all)

If sleepyness and a shaky memory isn't leading me astray here, it sounds like your pretty much on the money. They fought HnM for 500 years (which Tora joined early, by the sound of it), Tora lost interest when HnM was down for the count, then he got speared while the other youkai found HnM protected by the 1st priestess. Then he was sealed of in the temple while the rest of the youkai community alternated betwen banging their collective heads bloody against the barrier and cussing out Ushios maternal bloodline.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Just a notice for those who haven't read the manga, apparently the next episode will be skipping over 20 (!) chapters. I fully recommend that you read some of them; they're not plot important, but they're all fun, even if they're monster of the week.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Tora is a long haired blonde tsundere. Yup, that's about right.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:53 am Reply with quote
Episode #15:

I, too, think that this episode is weaker in its plot & character development/interaction. It is similar to episode #8, where Ushio takes a plane to Hokkaidō, and he meets Hiyama Yū. Both episodes were basically "Ushio meets a character; it has a tragic past that must be revealed within the same episode. You (the audience) must care for that character. Cue confrontation, cue resolving the issue, cue happiness."

I think that if the show took a step back from the "this character is sad!" approach, like it did in episode #10, with Takatori Saya & Omamori, this current episode (#15) might've been better at conveying Moritsuna Jun's past.

Other than that, though, good episode.
Exalted Incarnate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:31 pm Reply with quote
This is one of the best anime from the summer line up, and it is continuing to get better. But will it continue after hakumen no mono is defeated or is he the final antagonist?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 12