• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Charlotte

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Good show for now. I especially enjoyed the first episode because of the characters and some of the gimmicks; in particular Yu's power. His personality is also something I find fun to watch.

The show seems to also do a bit of characterization as well in the second episode. But yeah, this series has a lot of potential.

Almost forgot to mention but I think the OP song has some foreshadowing and symbolism. I recall in an interview that the pacing will be slow first half, faster the second half to build up the momentum.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:03 pm Reply with quote
1.7? What the hell? Either a bunch of people are 'joke voting', or I'm liking this for all the wrong reasons.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Ayumi's power is obviously the ability to be as stock anime as possible, desu~! But it's probably some form of astrological future-telling.

And while I wouldn't call this the best series airing so far, it's definitely one of the funniest, with solid visuals to back it up. That panning CG shot when Yu first enters the StuCo office was superb.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:14 pm Reply with quote
I really hope Sonic doesn't get shafted as the usual "MC's friend who's only defininf trait is comedy relief" that some of Key's work have. Angel Beats was a step up in that regard, and I hope it sticks.
-Madoka-

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
His personality is also something I find fun to watch.

Glad others enjoy this as well, i was speaking with some people in a group and they said his personality is annoying and boring, i was a bit confused as i found it fun and rather amusing!
Kuroko the Best Stalker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:39 pm Reply with quote
I don't know. What started out unique to me became a typical romantic comedy.

Still entertaining I guess so I'll probably keep watching.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:05 pm Reply with quote
I have thusfar clung to a perhaps batty hypothesis that the marketing of Charlotte has tied it so closely to Angel Beats! -- its release was timed to accompany an AB! boxset with a new OAV and the release of the AB! visual novel… the two shows share a Twitter account, etc. -- that the two stories might have a deeper relationship, perhaps sharing a universe or one turning out to be a prequel or sequel to the other. I even entertained the thought that white-haired Nao spoiler[could turn out to be the reincarnated Kanade].

After three episodes, there is not a shred of evidence for this idea. And I'm liking Charlotte well enough to let it go anyways.
T.Silver

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Loving it so far
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:00 pm Reply with quote
When I first saw the trailers for Charlotte I concluded that I was going to hate it because it looked and sounded stupid, and the visuals looked subpar for a P.A. Works anime.

But it only took a few minutes from the first episode to see how wrong my initial impressions were. I am also drawn to this show because I am an Angel Beats! fan.

Episode 2 was especially important to me because it brought back my favorite thing about Angel Beats!: the highly emotional back stories of the characters. I am liking Charlotte so far, and I am curious to see how the story unfolds.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
While I hope that Yuu's slimy tendencies don't disappear, he's already a more engaging protagonist than most.

I am a little surprised yet pleased to see this particular comment from this particular reviewer.

Going by what I have seen posted already a lot of us had a pretty negative reaction to Yuu while still being willing to continue with the series. Yet because of that he has become one of the more interesting features of this anime.

BTW Nao also isn't exactly a dream date herself. She's not perverted but capable of being quite nasty. And that makes her fun to watch as well.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:53 pm Reply with quote
I liked the notion of having "incomplete" powers; The explanation that "[the powers] go away once they reach adulthood" reminded me of Medaka Box.
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:47 pm Reply with quote
I have a prediction: This is going to be the tear jerker of summer 2015, just like Plastic Memories for the spring and Your Lie in April for fall 2014-winter 2015.

Something terrible is going to happen to Yuu's sister and he'll miss her ketchup rice.
Clarste

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:46 am Reply with quote
Is it just me, or are Crunchyroll's translation for this series particularly bad? Not in the sense of getting the Japanese wrong, but in the sense of wording things extremely awkwardly in English. I feel like it'd be three times better if at least one English speaker read through it once before they published it.
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:36 am Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
I have a prediction: This is going to be the tear jerker of summer 2015, just like Plastic Memories for the spring and Your Lie in April for fall 2014-winter 2015

This is the only thing that worries me about the show so far since i hate overblown melodrama...but for now i'm having fun with the characters and their quirky superpowers.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:50 am Reply with quote
the excitement died down after episode 1 for this series..

not the type of superpowers theme series i thought it would be.... Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 18