• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Charlotte

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CoffeeFlux

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Clarste wrote:
Is it just me, or are Crunchyroll's translation for this series particularly bad? Not in the sense of getting the Japanese wrong, but in the sense of wording things extremely awkwardly in English. I feel like it'd be three times better if at least one English speaker read through it once before they published it.

Even a skilled editor couldn't save this translation. It's really, really bad. The subs come directly from Aniplex, and CR isn't allowed to touch them. The translation clearly never experienced anything beyond faux editing, and the original translator did a very poor job of carrying over the meaning. Guess that's what happens when you hire back alley translators and pay them below minimum wage~

This is one show that's definitely worth using fansubs before (especially considering they're out in <48 hours). Much with Oregairu last season, if you're watching official subs you'll miss/misunderstand a lot of important dialogue.
Buzz201

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:05 pm Reply with quote
CoffeeFlux wrote:
Even a skilled editor couldn't save this translation. It's really, really bad. The subs come directly from Aniplex, and CR isn't allowed to touch them. The translation clearly never experienced anything beyond faux editing, and the original translator did a very poor job of carrying over the meaning. Guess that's what happens when you hire back alley translators and pay them below minimum wage~

This is one show that's definitely worth using fansubs before (especially considering they're out in <48 hours). Much with Oregairu last season, if you're watching official subs you'll miss/misunderstand a lot of important dialogue.

Really? I still have "too few information" to agree with your statement. Smile

A lot of people have commented on how poor the subs for this show have been, so hopefully Aniplex of America will fix them (or if necessary recommission new subtitles) before any home video release. From the errors I've seen, it looks as if it has been translated by somebody with English as a second language, and unfortunately the translator is not particularly hot on their tenses.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:09 pm Reply with quote
CoffeeFlux wrote:
Even a skilled editor couldn't save this translation. It's really, really bad.

Correct. They had the super-speed power named as "teleportation" in episode 1. I don't know if they even fixed that.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:28 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
CoffeeFlux wrote:

Correct. They had the super-speed power named as "teleportation" in episode 1. I don't know if they even fixed that.

In episode #1, Takajō Jōjirō calls his ability 瞬間移動 (shunkan'idō), literally "teleportation."
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Aren't they saying teleportation in the dialog? I thought that was the joke - that he's convinced himself he's teleporting when he's not.

Maybe they misunderstand what the English word "teleport" means though, because that shows up in the OP on a document as if the scientists are officially classifying his power that way too. Confused
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:44 pm Reply with quote
I think it's supposed to be a pun. "Shunkanidou" means "teleportation", but if you break it down into its component parts, "shunkan" means "moment" and "idou" means "movement", so while the whole word usually refers to teleportation, it technically is still correct to use it for Takajou's power, since he moves instantaneously.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Breaking up the 4 kanji making up the Japanese word for "teleportation," we get
瞬 (shun) - blink, wink
間 (kan) - space (as in 'the space within the room,' not in the Outer Space sense).
移 (i) - change, shift
動 (dō) - movement, motion

So, technically, it means "changing movement speed in the blink of the eye within the space"
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It'd hard to believe that there are only five episodes left. I do hope that the mutant plot comes back into play again soon. It's starting to seem like an afterthought.

Hasn't it always been that, though? From nearly the beginning it's felt like the whole powers thing was just a transparent excuse to tell the parts of the story that were actually important. I have the opposite hope that this element of the story is minimized. Few mutant shenanigans is probably a big part of why episode 8 has been my favorite so far.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm enjoying the series.

I suspect....
spoiler[I suspect the little sister isn't dead, that the "evil" scientists have captured her after little explosion. One can hope for the best, i think it's one thing I've notice that they've not focus on actual "Bad guys". The group running around not being noticed they're saving these people from the government or the evil organization seems be kind hard to believe. ]
zensunni

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Gabriella Ekens wrote:
I don't know whether they were supposed to make much sense, but I don't think gibberish like, “I can't do it! Not the side there you. I can do it! Once me there you!” is entirely accurate.

Actually, I think some of that was IN English, or Engrish at least. The "I can't do it" part at least was sung in English and I think the other might have been too. Perhaps this was a nod by Maeda, who has shown a strong grasp of English in the past, using bits and pieces in his songs for other shows, to the tenancy to toss poorly written, badly phrased, "All your base are belong to us" type lines into the middle of songs?

It is interesting that the pop song had more of the nonsense lyric quality than the "Post-Rock" song, which is a genre known for either using vocals mostly as instrumentation, sometimes with nonsense lyrics, or lacking vocals altogether. (The one weak point in his use of a little known genre of music in the story... Not that I knew anything about it before reading the Widipedia article about it myself...)

The episode, while not as powerful as the previous one, still packed a punch and the writing was spot on. I totally agree with Gabriella that Maeda's use of small, everyday things to highlight the fact that Yuu is still not dealing with his sister's death was masterful. As far as his parents, I'm must be misremembering things... I thought his parents weren't just working over seas, but actually gone and his uncle or some such was the siblings guardian. Perhaps I'll rewatch the early episodes to see where I got that impression... There has always been a bit of a mystery about their family in general, though...

One of the most important small moments in the episode, in my opinion, is when Sala said that the person he cares about would be at the concert with him and he DIDN'T DENY IT AT ALL!

This is how many people would react in reality if the person they are talking to had the wrong impression about their relationship with someone but they just didn't want to bother correcting them. After all, he is unlikely to ever see her in person again after her concert is done. However, that isn't how teen love works in anime and manga. If someone, even someone whose opinion really doesn't matter, suggests that you are in love/like with someone, the protagonist will almost always go into hysterics to deny it, especially if it IS true and they aren't ready to tell that person. The fact that he didn't deny it and will be at the concert with her and possibly meet Sala again, maybe even with Nao, suggests that Yuu has come to terms with his feelings for Nao and he is ready to admit that he has fallen in love?

Na! Couldn't happen!
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's totally Madoka's twist

... No, it's the twist of many other works long before Madoka came along.
navycherub

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:07 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
CoffeeFlux wrote:

spoiler[Given the content of the newest episode, I'm thinking that he actually could properly teleport if he had taken the power-enhancing supplements, so the name of the power would actually be fitting.]
Jackanapes

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Quote:

How did this get to be known exclusively as the Madoka twist. It's been in sci-fi stuff lately, particularly when 5pb or Nitrous has been on the scene. I think its beem in Star Trek too. Episodes like DS9s The Visitor or the TNG episode where Picard kept going back in time to try to stop the Enterprise from getting destroyed and find out why it keeps happening.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Quote:

This would be a much more compelling comment if you provided examples. Just saying.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:47 pm Reply with quote
finally! the twist in the story that i was expecting

had always wonder why these super freaks are walking around and no one rounded them up yet... Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 18