• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Charlotte

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:27 am Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
I liked the notion of having "incomplete" powers; The explanation that "[the powers] go away once they reach adulthood" reminded me of Medaka Box.

And the esoteric, not obviously useful powers reminded me of Mekakucity Actors, without the burden of having to be told backwards and thus only making sense to fans of the source material.
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:22 am Reply with quote
Clarste wrote:
Is it just me, or are Crunchyroll's translation for this series particularly bad? Not in the sense of getting the Japanese wrong, but in the sense of wording things extremely awkwardly in English. I feel like it'd be three times better if at least one English speaker read through it once before they published it.

That's up to the Editor not the Translator if Crunchy has the same type of crew a fansub team has. Its all about localizing the subs, after getting the direct translations, into something readable. Maybe the editor went out for lunch and never came back? Laughing

Fortunately I'm not watching it through Crunchy for this series, so I couldn't say. I am greatly enjoying the show though.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:
These superpowers are a very recent development, leaving a group of wicked scientists free to torture teenagers for the sake of “research,” since this phenomenon isn't widely known about yet.

Have I said how much I hate Jun Maeda this week? Oh yeah, it's Sunday, time to start anew. "Very recent" = several years... even one would have made me question its setting... and good thing there's no such thing as an internet or people who abuse their powers or a thousand other little things that should blow the whole thing out into the open.

I love the fact that once the "scientists" are finished with a subject, they... oh, why bother, this show is the enemy of logic. So far, every episode has made me want to watch the next one later and later. Or is it less and less?

Oddly, research is one word I wouldn't put into quotes; Consider the source of the story because it's not as if Nao wasn't biased or anything. "Radiowaves", "Results", "scientists", yes but research? I'm ok with that one.

How do they know the powers are temporary if this phenomenon is recent? Ohh, did "someone" combine becoming adult with graduating high school and reaching puberty with starting middle school?
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
this show is the enemy of logic

While I wouldn't go that far, I do get a general sense that the show's setting and resolutions to problems are arbitrary (and not exactly coherent, even) and that weighs on my opinion of it. There may be details we're not yet privy to that sort that all out, but I'm not feeling terribly hopeful of that. It feels more like a case that they wanted to create a very specific feel even if it made no sense, but I'd love to be wrong on that.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:03 pm Reply with quote
This series suffers from Tragic Sibling Overload. Hopefully they clustered all of that into the first 3 episodes and got it mostly out of the way. I loved Angel Beats, but I feel that show was funnier and less in-your-face melodramatic this early on.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:46 pm Reply with quote
I haven't found much of anything that is melodramatic thus far with Charlotte. I mean, Angel Beats had Yurippe's backstory rather early on, which I'd say was rather melodramatic. Not to mention the quite awkward scene in the rain between Naoi and Otonashi that just springs out of nowhere without proper buildup.

But honestly, where you are all seeing melodrama? The scenes with Nao's brother were pretty subdued I thought. Sure, he was tearing the bedsheet but I don't think that's anywhere near the level of Yurippe spoiler[being forced to watch her younger siblings die because she dropped and broke the expensive item that the bad dudes wanted]. Then there's Yusa/Misa's backstory which I thought was handled rather level-headed. The dude trying to confess could have been melodramatic, but Misa pretty much deflected that right off.

I'm enjoying Charlotte, and with Maeda penning it there certainly is the chance for high amounts of melodrama, but I think that so far given the back-stories of the characters it has been subdued on that aspect for the most part relative to his other works.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:34 am Reply with quote
Really like this so far. The characters are really interesting and it's really entertaining to watch. Nasty as Yuu may be I like him because he's smart with his powers and a really good representation of probably what someone would do if they had the same power as him.
zensunni

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:38 pm Reply with quote
This is probably my favorite of the new season so far. Part of what I really like about it is that it reminds me of one of the joke ideas that my group of friends came up with back in high school in the ... distant past... they were super heroes with fairly useless powers, the one I remember being "Time Man" who could turn back time by 3 seconds, which generally resulted in a time loop with his sidekick "Ticker":
Ticker: "Look, Time Man, they're getting away!"
Time Man: "I'll turn back time 3 seconds."
etc...

The abilities here are not quite that useless, but the fact that they are all hamstrung in some way and the heroes have to use creativity to make them work for them is compelling.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:10 pm Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
This is probably my favorite of the new season so far. Part of what I really like about it is that it reminds me of one of the joke ideas that my group of friends came up with back in high school in the ... distant past... they were super heroes with fairly useless powers, the one I remember being "Time Man" who could turn back time by 3 seconds, which generally resulted in a time loop with his sidekick "Ticker":
etc...

The abilities here are not quite that useless, but the fact that they are all hamstrung in some way and the heroes have to use creativity to make them work for them is compelling.

That power might just be in the show. Something like rewinding time for 5 seconds, with a cooldown of sorts for 10 seconds.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:58 pm Reply with quote
I did not like episode 4. I couldn't help but think how pointless the episode was. The potentially plot-relevant bit at the end was nice and all, but it was so short it could have been stuck into any episode so I'm not giving it a pass. There were maybe 1 or 2 good jokes and the resolution was trite. C- for me. Hopefully next time will be better.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:09 pm Reply with quote
I like episode 4

among the sports i hate baseball the most (no time limit-- taking forever to finish a game)

but it was fun watching it as an anime or movie though

i guess with their flawed powers.. there's little or no action i guess it's mostly comedy/slice of life?..
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Gabriella wrote:
The Hoshinoumi Academy's student council goes after a telepathic mutant, Arifumi, who is also a star baseball player. As a pitcher, he uses his telepathy to effortlessly execute difficult pitches.

Telepathy is mind-reading. Arifumi's power is telekinesis.
Gabbomatic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Gabriella wrote:
The Hoshinoumi Academy's student council goes after a telepathic mutant, Arifumi, who is also a star baseball player. As a pitcher, he uses his telepathy to effortlessly execute difficult pitches.

Telepathy is mind-reading. Arifumi's power is telekinesis.

Noted. I wrote this on the way back from Otakon and was x_x
grooven

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:23 pm Reply with quote
This episode struck me as okay. I had to roll my eyes at baseball since as Gabbo pointed out is the 4th time. I love how she opened with that! Some jokes were funny but some fell flat. I'd say his sister is the worst part. Though I feel something is up with her like she just seems to fake. Guess we'll see later.

Also Maeda said around episode 6 is where things pick up so I guess we'll see.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:45 am Reply with quote
Yuu's powers worked on other mutants before the same way as non-mutants, like that archer club guy from episode 2 who was making and selling revealing photos of girls in his school. And since Arifumi was disoriented afterwards, it likely did work. Hopefully we'll find out what happened
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 18