• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharkacon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:48 pm Reply with quote
@consignia Thanks! I'll have to check that out. Fate/Stay Night is the only VN I've ever played, but I think that medium would be great for a good detective/mystery story. Heavy Rain was basically a detective/mystery VN with a huge budget, and I really enjoyed that game.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Accidentally spoiled myself while looking up crest locations of each of the Braves. The fake was one of my top suspects, so I guess it's not too much of a loss. Definitely don't look at the character pages on the wikia if you don't want to get spoiled. It was right in the first paragraph before the spoiler warning. Jeez, they had one job. Anyways, now I'm wondering how the fake did it and what their plan to get rid of the real ones is, so it didn't ruin the experience. Though now I can't discuss any theories on who did it without spoiling it or at least eliminating the suspect in question. Oh well.

As to the Fedora wearing fiend, as the link someone posted earlier shows, he is almost exactly the same as the LN illustration, except more CGish. So its not the studio's fault that he looks ridiculous.

Sharkacon wrote:
Side note: Does anybody have any anime recommendations in this genre? The closest things I've watched to anime mysteries are Death Note and Psycho Pass, but those are both more Cathmeifyoucan stories, and don't have the same Whodunit feel that Rokka has. I'd like to check out more animes like this one. I'll probably start reading the light novels for it too, but I'm not sure what would be worse; the anime spoiling the LN for me or vice versa.

Detective Conan/Case Closed is good, though long (which I am attempting to watch through myself). The File of Young Kindaichi Returns is not too bad, and much shorter, and it has a second season premiering next season
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Sharkacon wrote:
@consignia Thanks! I'll have to check that out. Fate/Stay Night is the only VN I've ever played, but I think that medium would be great for a good detective/mystery story. Heavy Rain was basically a detective/mystery VN with a huge budget, and I really enjoyed that game.

Another cool VN is G-senjou mo maou, it is a detective type of story but more on the cat and mouse tangle side. It has some very decent plot twist and scheming and very nice music. The translation team even made a patch that removes the (very few) h-scenes from the script in case you can't handle hentai.

As for anime. K: Missing king is a very solid mystery and has beautiful background imagery, if you can stomach a little homo-erotic tension, it doesn't really has yaoi but a lot of bi-shonen exchanging intense glares. It has a hq dub and the second season is coming right this fall
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:56 am Reply with quote
Hans is awesome and somehow i believed him when he said "i kill but i don't lie" (well, except for when he tries to get the truth out of others), plus i loved seeing him and Adlet team up.

Chamot's power is gross and she's an annoying little brat and Maura got more suspicious after her talk with Flamie, but my money is still on the Princess, now more than ever. There's just something really...off about her.

Really looking forward to the next episode!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:48 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
What if... Maura was travelling with the 8th Brave? Ha haaa! If they can fake one crest (for the 7th) then they can fake two (for the 8th) and use them to trick Commander Private.

Possible, but I think it's kind of cheating, mystery-wise, to toss in an 8th person we've never met. Unless it's one of those guys Adlet defeated way back in episode 1. Smile Lauren is much more suspicious and tied into the story though.

If Lauren is a traitor, then I suspect everyone left alive at the fort is in on it too (see neatly stored weapons again). So I guess their saying more than one came through might not be true.

I don't want it to be Hans because he was too obvious and now too nice, so I'd be happy if they lied and he was telling the truth.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:17 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I don't want it to be Hans because he was too obvious and now too nice, so I'd be happy if they lied and he was telling the truth.

Don't forget that Hans said "I kill but I don't lie. Lying is wrong.". Granted, he could be lying about that, but I found it really genuine, especially with the juxtaposition against a much more immoral thing such as killing. What would be the point of him saying that if it wasn't really part of his gray moral code?

My main two suspects are still Maura and Nachetanya, but now I also think Chamot has a good shot at being the 7th. Adlet is assuming she didn't know how to activate the barrier, but have we been told this specifically? I can't recall. Also, I still believe in the possibility that the 7th isn't necessarily the one who cast the barrier (although my theory about Hans is discarded since he admits he didn't know how to set it up), which means there is either an 8th, or that one of the real 6 braves set it up for some reason. But anyway, my actual reason to suspect Chamot is the fiends in her stomach. Adlet was fooled by a fiend disguised as a human who then promptly vanished. Now, we know the Saint of Salt set the pillars so no fiends could approach them, but Chamot's fiends CAN get near because, being soaked in her stomach/swamp/vomit, they are no longer recognized as fiends by the pillars. So the fiend that deceived Adlet could've been one of Chamot's.

Maura continues to grow more and more suspicious by trying to earn Flamie's trust with kindness and then insisting that she must kill Adlet on sight. I'm still very suspicious of her due to the fact that she had the key to the temple the whole time, and how quickly she's turned to a "don't ask questions, just kill" mentality.

Nachetanya, on the other hand, is very clearly manipulating Goldov. Although I think it was a great moment when she scolded him for putting his jealousy upfront, there was something about her expression and the way she led the conversation felt incredibly off. . I honestly think her original intent was to kill Adlet on the way, but she genuinely grew fond of him, so now she's trying to make someone else take the fall while saving Adlet. It would also make for a great twist that the perceived heroine/prefered love interest turned out to be the villain, and I would find it very plausible in a narrative sense, considering how Flamie has been getting a lot of spotlight in terms to her feelings for Adlet, and their relationship has also been steadily developping since she was introduced, whilst Nachetanya seems to have been pushed to the sidelines, so she could end up becoming the real heroine/love interest.

Something I'm wondering about is how the 7th got their Brave mark. The design itself is very intricate, and we know the mark just magically appears on the skin, but perhaps there is a way to discover which of the marks is fake? Even if there isn't the 7th must have had access to the knowledge, tools and skills to perfectly replicate it, which increases my suspicions on both Maura and Nachetanya
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:22 am Reply with quote
^
Maura's mark is on her back. That's really hard to fake unless you have someone else draw it on you.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:50 am Reply with quote
Maura had definitely climbed to the top of my list, but something bugs me about her little talk with Flamie. On the one hand, if she is the 7th and could get Flamie, who is still under suspicion by the others, to kill a Brave (Adlet) then the others would probably kill Flamie which would mean 2 braves down (they would probably accuse her of purposefully killing a Brave). Then you let Chamot go crazy--since she only trusts Maura--and there would be plenty of casualties. Maura doesn't even have to wipe them all out as one or two braves might have a reallydifficult time prevailing against the fiends and their God so she could raise the mist and escape. On the other hand, her little speech seemed maybe "too obvious"? Generally you want the reveal in a mystery to be a little surprising or unexpected, but this felt a little like telegraphing your punch. Unless its meant to be a red herring? Maybe? Maura's personality also seems straight forward not supper clever which may explain why she gets along with Chamot. Kudos to the story for making me question things.

Now Princess Bunny Ears had a real interesting moment too. In the beginning I didn't like how she seemed clever, self-assured, a winner by combat of tournaments, but then turned into an inexperienced, almost bumbling, socially clumsy pixie. It felt like a little bit too much of a 180 turn and I wasn't sure if this was just the anime being sloppy or if there was something going on with her personality. This past episode with her expression and eyes changing while being cold and in charge was very interesting. There's something off about her personality that makes her suspicious, but its also not quite enough to label her the 7th. I also think that when Goldov last episode said "did you hear that" and she said no. I think she was lying. I think she had an idea that Adlet might go back for his stuff and didn't want Goldov joining the fracas.

So far the show's been fun my only beef is that it feels a little drawn out and we might be left hanging at the end with only knowledge of who the 7th is especially if its one season.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:34 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^
Maura's mark is on her back. That's really hard to fake unless you have someone else draw it on you.

That's where the 8th comes in! Smile
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Regarding Goldov... one thing that I just recalled is the difference in how Adlet treated Nash and how Goldov treated her.

Adlet treated her like a companion that fights along side him. Goldov treated her like a princess that must be protected.

Maybe, to Nachetanya, Goldov symbolizes the chain around her neck due to her status as a princess. Where Adlet treats her like a human being, Goldov treats her as an object -- and it is the object that he worships, not Nachetanya.

*If* that is how Nachetanya views Goldov, then I can see her resenting him and his attention. I can see her using it to manipulate him, and not feeling bad about it because *that is how Goldov treats her* and apparently what he wants from the object he worships. Notice how Goldov immediately fell in line when Nachetanya put on her Princess face, but resisted her every time she approached him with her Brave face: Goldov refuses to treat her like a fellow Brave and companion and only responds when she face-stomps him as "the Princess."

She's still just behind Maura on my list, but it isn't too hard to make a case for her actions towards Goldov, which is one of the reasons she's a firm #2 on my list, while Maura is #1.
zensunni

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Gabriella Ekens wrote:
These past few episodes have made me waffle on Nachetanya's guilt. She was sketchy as all hell in the beginning, but it still seems strange that she didn't jump on the “kill Adlet” bandwagon.

There is actually a very good reason why the actual Seventh Brave, regardless of who it is, would NOT want someone else killed at this point. From what Maura said earlier, the flower markings will change if a Brave dies, loosing a petal from the flower. If a real brave dies and everyone else has one less petal while theirs remains unchanged, the jig is up. In addition, the barrier will still be intact if they kill a real Brave and not the person who activated it, which would let the others know that they had made a mistake and set the wheels of suspiscion back in motion. Of course, they could arrange to release the barrier to make it seem like the other person's death made it go away, but it also seems that the Seventh WANTS the barrier up, so that is counter to his/her goals as well.

CrowLia wrote:
Quote:

Don't forget that Hans said "I kill but I don't lie. Lying is wrong.". Granted, he could be lying about that, but I found it really genuine, especially with the juxtaposition against a much more immoral thing such as killing. What would be the point of him saying that if it wasn't really part of his gray moral code?

My main two suspects are still Maura and Nachetanya, but now I also think Chamot has a good shot at being the 7th. [other stuff deleted to save space.]

Hans says he doesn't lie, yet he DID lie to Adlet in order to determine his innocence, when he told him he was the Seventh. Of course, that is only true if he ISN'T the seventh, in which case he is lying already so his statement that he doesn't lie is a pure falsehood...

As for the "who-dun-it" question, here is my take:

Eliminated from suspicion at this point:
Adlet
Hans
Flammie

Unlikely to be it:
Chamot - unless she is a really good lair. She seems to be more of the pure psycho type, not the duplicitous type.

This pretty much leaves:
Maura
Nachetanya
Goldov

My money is still on Goldov, but I'm placing Maura in a close second at this point. It seems unlikely to me that the Seventh would be a KNOWN Saint. For the gods to favor someone with a Saint's power and have them be a traitor is just an unlikely scenario. If it is one though, I would bet on Maura.

My reasoning: If you were going to corrupt someone in order to influence the next round of Braves, why not go to the very top? Also, we don't know what kind of powers the Saint of Mountains has, but it seems likely that they would be related to rock, which would mean that she could have opened the door using her key, gone in, placed something that looked exactly like the door but was able to be opened by explosives, which I doubt should have been possible, and then set the barrier when the boom went off and tunneled her way out through the rock, replacing the rock as it was before she passed through it.

Of course, Nachetanya is also a Saint with abilities that make it likely, since she can manipulate blades, but she also has to place her hand on the thing and say the activation word, which she would have had to have been inside to do. I don't think she was actually that close when the barrier went up.

My money is really on Goldov, though. First of all, he seems far more concerned about Nachetanya's love life than with the whole Demon Lord killing business. Also, if you were going to plant a fake Brave, where better to place him than in the household of one of the Saints who happens to also be a princess and is sure to be one of the Braves chosen. Get close, ingratiate yourself to her, make her trust you, then betray. It is an old trick, but it works.

dtm42 wrote:
^

Not if you use magic... It's not like the marks aren't magical in nature anyway, since Maura said that one of the petals would disappear if one of the Braves died...

It seems like the best way to avoid this kind of scenario would be to use a slightly different mark each time Braves needed to be called. Kind of the way you get a new registration sticker with a new color for your license plate, or the tickets for different nights of some events have different designs on them so you can't use a ticket from one night to get into the next night... I guess the gods don't think ahead as much as event promoters and state governments...
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:42 pm Reply with quote
But wasn't Goldov with Flamie and Bunny Girl at the time? Flamie would *definitely* not lose track of where he was after he tried to kill her shortly beforehand. Goldov isn't a Saint, so he doesn't have any magical ability to be in two places at once, or even to *appear* to be in two places at once.

Of all the Saints, I think we've seen everyone's power but Maura's. I'm *very* curious as to what the Saint of Mountains actually is capable of doing. If she can manipulate earth...
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:15 pm Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
Hans says he doesn't lie, yet he DID lie to Adlet in order to determine his innocence, when he told him he was the Seventh. Of course, that is only true if he ISN'T the seventh, in which case he is lying already so his statement that he doesn't lie is a pure falsehood...

Hans to me seems like the kind of person who, despite being an assassin who freely admits to liking his job, has principles that he would prefer to abide by, but will go against them if he feels it's absolutely necessary.

Anyway, the choice to visualize Chamot's fiends as...whatever those are is weird to me. In the novels, they are described as looking like frogs, slugs, snakes, lizards and other similar creatures. But here they look like...jellyfish, I think? And there should be a lot more than just 5 or 6. It's odd, but I guess the production studio couldn't afford it.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Um, I just realised something very, very odd.

In episode one, Adlet says this:

"Those who would be chosen as heroes must prove their might in the temples of the Goddess of Fate built by the Saint of the Single Flower."

All the Braves are renown warriors or saints except Adlet and Hans, and Adlet proved his worth by crashing the tournament. So when did Hans, a mere thief and assassin whom no-one knew about, prove his might in a temple?

Holy moly, he might still be the seventh after all.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Something to consider about the idea that Hans may still be the 7th and that, if he were so, not killing Adlet would be in his best interest since his cover would be blown by the disappearing petals is that Hans was alone with Adlet, with none of the other Braves close by. If he were the 7th, he could've easily killed Adlet, dispel the barrier (assuming he lied about not knowing how to put it up) and make a run for it. Sneaking out is his specialty, no one would realize he's gone and that he tricked them all until it was too late and he was already too far to be caught.

Alternatively, knowing the petal thing, he could change his fake mark and erase one petal, then claim he really thought Adlet was the 7th and that they'd all agreed to kill him on sight -Maura herself has been championing this- which would dispel suspicions. If he were the 7th, he had no reason to spare Adlet's life and make him an ally, Adlet was the easiest scapegoat, Hans probably knows he's no match for Chamot, Maura or Flamie and Nachetanya would likely give him too much trouble with the long range of her powers. If he was going to kill one of the real Braves -and I see no reason to go so far as to pretend to be one of them other than to kill as many of them as he can before they get to the Demon King-, he'd have to go for the easiest target and that was Adlet, but he didn't kill him when he had the best chance and a perfectly acceptable excuse.

Basically, I'm still convinced he isn't the 7th and I really don't want him to be because he's the best character
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 28