• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
La Croisée dans un labyrinth étranger (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:57 pm Reply with quote
aka Ikoku Meiro no Croisée

The Preview Guide which includes this will be going up sometime on Monday, but I got a peek at this one earlier tonight and was mightily impressed. It's a low-key period piece about a Japanese girl introduced to late 19th century Paris which is going to seem at first to draw its strength from the Cute Factor of its female lead, but it is also a well-written story about bridging cultural divides. I found it to have a lot of heart as well as a wealth of period detail, and Yune (the Japanese girl) has more strength to her than just being cute.

This one is going to be too mild-mannered for many viewers, but I think it has the very real potential to be one of the season's best. It is certainly one of the season's most distinctly different series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:17 pm Reply with quote
I usually love these kinds of shows that are set in a different era/culture that respect their setting, but I kind of wish there was more presented about Yune. For a lead character, she didn't show a whole lot of character. There was even a bizarre child slavery feel to the whole thing. Maybe we'll learn a bit more about why she's in Paris at some point, but for now, all we know is spoiler[some white guy went to Japan and brought back a girl who is almost completely subservient to the male lead (who even points out how bizarre it is).]

Then again, maybe this is exactly the kind of the cultural exploration the show wants to get into, and it'll be great. The whole thing is just a bit uncomfortable right now.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:16 am Reply with quote
I'm already good to go on the bandwagon for this show. Yume's character has enough to her character where she doesn't seem like a moe doormat (considering how she's designed) and thus far, the series has done rather well in setting up a bit of what we might expect out of the series with the cultural divide between Yume and the shop owner.

Quote:
I usually love these kinds of shows that are set in a different era/culture that respect their setting, but I kind of wish there was more presented about Yune. For a lead character, she didn't show a whole lot of character. There was even a bizarre child slavery feel to the whole thing. Maybe we'll learn a bit more about why she's in Paris at some point, but for now, all we know is spoiler[some white guy went to Japan and brought back a girl who is almost completely subservient to the male lead (who even points out how bizarre it is).]

Japan in the 19th century was very strict when it came to adhering to its traditions and formalities. The series is trying to show that as strict as the traditions can be, they can have their beautiful side as shown through Yume's character as walking Yamato Nadeshiko incarnate. As for why she is in France, she was sent as an attendant to the trade that the shop owner's grandfather had gotten for the Japanese goods to confirm that the goods had been sold in the country. It appears this series might be taking place sometime in mid 19th century France as Japan opened up trade relations with the country around the final years of the Tokugawa Shogunate's rule.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JaffaOrange

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:25 am Reply with quote
I can't wait to hear french with thick Japanese accents.

Nodame Cantabile didn't have nearly enough.
naninanino

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:13 pm Reply with quote
I heard a French guy say that the language is actually 100% coherent. Not that there is much French spoken here.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:27 pm Reply with quote
The background art and detailing is indeed sumptuous. I'm doubly entranced because Paris is one of my favourite cities. Yume - kawaiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!

Yep, I'm going to be lovin' this one.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:15 am Reply with quote
ep.2

I wonder if any smooth-voiced male French narration would make me think of Amelie, but that's what comes to mind when he pops in with a line.

But I am a sucker for these little culture differences in these shows. As westerners you wouldn't normally think just how strange cheese would be to Yune but of course it would, especially when you consider how strong the French like their cheese. Hell, even Americans have problems with some French cheeses. As they did with the coffee I'd hope they'd coe up with the idea of buying a milder variety for her eat.

Still, I loved the post-credits scene even more for showing the other side of the culinary divide.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tribulations

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Cuteness, fluff, and more cuteness. This show might as well be renamed to "HNNNNNGGGGG: The Anime". I honestly can't find anything I really dislike about this series so far. The quality of episodes remains consistent, the art is beautiful, and I like the calm, downplayed atmosphere. There's something about this show that feels... genuine to me, and I like it. I'm hoping for some tension though to thicken up the plot. Sure, there's the deal with the kimono, but I think that with a show that focuses around understanding two different cultures, there should be more conflict with the characters' relationships.
Even if that doesn't happen, I will probably continue this anime for the adorable factor alone. I mean, come on. Yune is so cute it should be illegal!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:22 am Reply with quote
I couldn't agree more on the Yune adorability factor. I love her character design and the way she holds her little hands. Plus, there's her cute little shuffle walk in her clogs and kimono. I'm looking forward to her meeting with Alice-chan, although I don't think she's going to like it much - at least at first. Also think Yune's seiyuu is doing a great job.

I WANT MY OWN CUTE LITTLE JAPANESE SIGN GIRL!!!
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:13 am Reply with quote
This show is too much for my heart. I'm not keeping it with it due to laziness but, damn it, Yune... Y U SO KAWAII. She should be censored for being too "moe" kawaii.

Last edited by EmbraceMe on Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:31 am Reply with quote
No, no, no - please do not make the mistake of confusing "moe" with kawaii. Now, if Yune suddenly contracts a life-threatening illness and is confined to a hospital bed with Claude-sama as her only hope, THEN you can pull out the moe card.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:48 am Reply with quote
Blood-, if you write out that whole scenario and have it published... I would buy your novels. Oh, I also fixed the "moe" thing for you.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:09 am Reply with quote
Bless you. Enforcing the scientifically accurate definition of "moe" is, of course, the burning passion of my life.
cutemi2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:34 am Reply with quote
マーク・カポンティエ

that's the voice of the narrator, can you translate this....
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:50 am Reply with quote
cutemi2 wrote:
マーク・カポンティエ

that's the voice of the narrator, can you translate this....

The given name should be "Mark"; the family name is tricky, as I don't know how to transliterate "Kapontie" into a valid French family name.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2