Forum - View topic
The X Button - How Suda is Now




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
PingSoni
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 05 Dec 2008
Posts: 179
Location: Lansing MI
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:18 am Reply with quote
That's interesting news about Odin Sphere. I began playing it several times on the PS2, but always gave up. I'll keep an eye on this and see what they do to the gameplay. Thanks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Battle Cossack



Joined: 14 Oct 2009
Posts: 83
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Not to sound like a goddamn philistine, but I'm bummed he didn't mention "This Charming Man".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mr. Oshawott



Joined: 12 Mar 2012
Posts: 5795
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:03 pm Reply with quote
“Above all, video games are meant to just be one thing. Fun. Fun for everyone.” - Satoru Iwata

It's depressing that this message has been lost on so many gamers, including some Nintendo fans, today. Nowadays, many people seem to only care about how powerful a console is and hyper-realistic graphics...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Juno016



Joined: 09 Jan 2012
Posts: 1670
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Once I get my paycheck, I'm backing Red Ash. I, too, love Rockman DASH (if my name is any indication--it was given to me because of my love for the game, too, back in early Middle School) and while I cannot say I know how this game would turn out, I can definitely say I want to see where it's going and how it gets there. I'm going to donate a pretty penny because it seems like they need the money (just as much as I do).

I fear that Mighty No.9 but some kind of bad taste in peoples' mouth (why?) and that's a big reason people aren't funding this... but the reality is, it needs whatever it can get, and while I'd usually wait before putting my wallet where my mouth is (for obvious financial reasons), I really, really want this to turn into something, so... the wallet is in the mouth!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
belvadeer



Joined: 11 Jun 2006
Posts: 3436
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Iwata: That picture of Iwata with Luigi, I wonder if Luigi was his favorite.

Iwata's death is certainly one that will ring in our ears for some time. I'm more annoyed at the staggering number of jerks and Internet jackasses who had the nerve to say things like "Nintendo is better off now" just after his death was announced, and then tried to justify their behavior by saying that it's not like Iwata was their close relative or something so why is everyone else acting like they knew him personally. Like seriously, what is wrong with these people?

Odin Sphere: Odin Sphere getting a HD redo with gameplay changes and new features is certainly the highlight of this article for me. The original game was magnificent in its presentation, the story was told in evocative theater style drama and the true conclusion was something the game made you work for. It was only hampered by sprite slowdown and some other gameplay blemishes such as the actual utility of accessories (not all of them were that helpful and didn't make much difference in their application) and annoying environmental damage (thereby forcing you to buy and keep an accessory on to avoid constantly losing HP from snowstorms or infernos). I'm liking the idea of new attacks, finishing moves and a skill development system though, and it looks like the kitchen feature is getting some kind of overhaul apparently (cute tubby Pooka chef in the screenshot there too).


Last edited by belvadeer on Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mr. Oshawott



Joined: 12 Mar 2012
Posts: 5795
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:54 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
I'm more annoyed at the staggering number of jerks and Internet jackasses who had the nerve to say things like "Nintendo is better off now" just after his death was announced, and then tried to justify their behavior by saying that it's not like Iwata was their close relative or something so why is everyone else acting like they knew him personally. Like seriously, what is wrong with these people?

It seems that those people just love to wish misfortune on those that they hate...or they just seem to be so absorbed into gaming politics and console-warring that the death of an important figure in the gaming industry doesn't matter to them; in their minds, it's "business as usual."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
BadNewsBlues



Joined: 21 Sep 2014
Posts: 2211
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
“Above all, video games are meant to just be one thing. Fun. Fun for everyone.” - Satoru Iwata

It's depressing that this message has been lost on so many gamers, including some Nintendo fans, today. Nowadays, many people seem to only care about how powerful a console is and hyper-realistic graphics...


Considering Nintendo's whole deal for the last few console generations has been to release hardware thats essentially a gen behind the technology currently on the market you can't fault that for being a sticking point for a number of people.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hoppy800



Joined: 09 Aug 2013
Posts: 2179
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:35 pm Reply with quote
That Odin Sphere remake came out of left field, lets hope they fix the gameplay mechanics which are the reason why the game is brutal unlike Princess Crown and Dragon's Crown.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IanC



Joined: 26 Sep 2004
Posts: 507
Location: Essex, England
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Hatoful Boyfriend is out on PS4 and Vita this week.

And TEMBO THE BADASS ELEPHANT (the name is actually in all caps for some reason) for the PS4, Xbone and Windows. Though imo Game Freak certainly do better work with Nintendo than they have with Sega in this case. Difficultly spikes and occasional control issues, plus some poor gameplay choices combine to make it a good, sometimes great, sometimes annoying experience.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AiddonValentine



Joined: 07 Aug 2006
Posts: 1147
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
“Above all, video games are meant to just be one thing. Fun. Fun for everyone.” - Satoru Iwata

It's depressing that this message has been lost on so many gamers, including some Nintendo fans, today. Nowadays, many people seem to only care about how powerful a console is and hyper-realistic graphics...


I mostly blame it on developers trying to perpetuate that idea that those are the ideal. Y'know, in spite of the fact that it's been proven time and time again that all powerful hardware does is boost the POTENTIAL, which fails to be utilized as the people perpetuating this aren't designers but code monkeys. Any monkey can pound away at a keyboard. It takes talent to actually design.

belvadeer wrote:

Iwata's death is certainly one that will ring in our ears for some time. I'm more annoyed at the staggering number of jerks and Internet jackasses who had the nerve to say things like "Nintendo is better off now" just after his death was announced, and then tried to justify their behavior by saying that it's not like Iwata was their close relative or something so why is everyone else acting like they knew him personally. Like seriously, what is wrong with these people?


Simple: they think it's their business how Nintendo is run despite the fact that their relationship is a company and a customer. Every time I hear people try to talk about business in gaming it's embarrassing and shows how little people really know.

Anyway, Odin Sphere, Leifdrasir is definitely an interesting prospect. Odin Sphere has by far the best narrative of Vanillaware's titles, but it suffers from TONS of gameplay issues, whether it be the static environments, fighting becoming repetitive, having to play the final chapter a minimum of five times in order to get the best ending, and of course the SLOWDOWN. Holy crap, it could turn into "seconds per frame" instead of FPS. With Leifdrasir looking to do a HUGE overhaul of the game, this is definitely looking to be worthy of a double dip as it shows everything VW has learned over the years with Muramasa and Dragon's Crown.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BadNewsBlues



Joined: 21 Sep 2014
Posts: 2211
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:15 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:




Anyway, Odin Sphere, Leifdrasir is definitely an interesting prospect. Odin Sphere has by far the best narrative of Vanillaware's titles, but it suffers from TONS of gameplay issues, whether it be the static environments, fighting becoming repetitive, having to play the final chapter a minimum of five times in order to get the best ending, and of course the SLOWDOWN. Holy crap, it could turn into "seconds per frame" instead of FPS. With Leifdrasir looking to do a HUGE overhaul of the game, this is definitely looking to be worthy of a double dip as it shows everything VW has learned over the years with Muramasa and Dragon's Crown.


Didn't Muramasa have a similar repetition issue with regards to unlocking the true ending for both routes but centered around the redundant sword-crafting mechanic?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FalconPunch



Joined: 07 Jan 2015
Posts: 543
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:02 am Reply with quote
A shame that Lily Bergamo did not pass it was a pretty cool artistic concept.

I think Iwata was a pretty cool person. I was quite shocked for his death.

I'm Interested in playing Odin Sphere and Oneechanbara Z2.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AiddonValentine



Joined: 07 Aug 2006
Posts: 1147
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:05 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Didn't Muramasa have a similar repetition issue with regards to unlocking the true ending for both routes but centered around the redundant sword-crafting mechanic?


Though that wasn't so bothersome because A) the game's gameplay and technical performance were far better and B) you were at least unlocking things and were able to check out new areas with the characters thus cutting down on the monotony. It at least felt like there was a sense of progression whereas with Odin Sphere it really was just a grind
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
enurtsol



Joined: 01 May 2007
Posts: 13541
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:03 pm Reply with quote
People will play a game as long as the girls look pretty no matter how bad the gameplay; look at the first Neptunia and Onechanbara.


Murder, She wrote:

King's Quest revival also ships for the PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xboxes, and PC next week


King's Quest is familiar to ones who play RPGs even before JRPG was a thing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group