• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fate/Stay Night: Heaven's Feel (movie).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:04 pm Reply with quote
I have some concerns about the film and I noticed that there weren't any forums about it. I think this will end up being too rushed and condensed. It feels like this should be its own show, or at the very least, multiple films.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Can't say, as I haven't read the source material, but I do think it's a bit too early to start criticizing something that hasn't been released/made yet.
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:37 pm Reply with quote
I haven't read it in detail, but I do know that the visual novel takes place over the span of 14 to 18 days. With each day taking up about an hour or two of gameplay at least, the major ones taking more. I know that UBW's film, while a passable source of entertainment, failed to evoke anything on an emotional level due to how rushed everything was. Then again, Ufotable made the Garden of Sinners films, so maybe they'll prove me wrong.

I agree, it's too early to criticize what flaws aren't yet made, but... this is the most emotionally provocative path in the whole game. If anything, either of the other two could have passed as a movie, but this is the one that I've got doubts about.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:57 pm Reply with quote
If it is just one movie, that's going to be a problem. The Heaven's Feel route is by far the longest of the three, IIRC. So, if the UBW movie had issues with pacing, it will be worse for HF.
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:30 pm Reply with quote
The thing is, we don't know anything about this. We don't know that it's going to be a movie. We don't know if it's one movie, we don't know if it's a series of movies. All that we know is that it will adapt Heaven's Feel, and that it will be released theatrically.

Really, this thread is massively premature, since there's no info, and anything else would be speculation.
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Ironically, the only path that I think could have passed as a movie, albeit, still a rushed one, is the Fate path. Make it a love story between Shirou and Saber with the Grail War thrown in from time to time, and you have a movie that accomplishes what that path was supposed to.

The other two routes have too many sideplots, plot twists, and themes to be covered in a single movie. If Heaven's Feel turns out to be a film series, I think it can work. Maybe even just two or three movies. But one...?

I want to be able to feel the intended emotion. I want every character arc to feel complete. I don't want them to sacrifice the emotion of Illya's relationship with Shirou for Sakura's. After it was built up a bit in Fate/Zero, I don't want Zouken's defeat, or hell, the conflict surrounding him, to feel rushed or anticlimactic. And I especially don't want the situation with Saber Alter to feel phoned in. Barely three hours of run time just won't cut it, and we don't even know if the movie will be that long!
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:50 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Barely three hours of run time just won't cut it, and we don't even know if the movie will be that long!

Again, we don't know anything about this, so this is all just speculation (which is against the forum rules).

It could be a single movie.
It could be a series of movies.
It could be an OAV series that is debuted in theaters (like Gundam Unicorn).

The point is, the only thing they have said is that Heaven's Feel will be adapted, and that it will be released theatrically.

Anything other than that is speculation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1