• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Berserk Manga Has 27 Million Copies in Print in Japan, 8 Million Overseas

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:31 am Reply with quote
I would've thought that it would've sold more in Japan but I guess hiatuses can cause a loss of leadership. To put this in perspective, AoT has sold 10+ million more.
bs3311

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:02 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
To put this in perspective, AoT has sold 10+ million more.

I really disagree on using that comparison cause AOT can't even pretend to be a proper shonen Berserk with God of War 2 aspects. So no point in jumbling them togethor for a comparable example since deep down I find that disrespectful. Sales mean only success in how they keep an audience hooked, not the overall quality of the product, which AOT has 100km of quality building to go before even looking at a glimpse of Berserk. Yes, the sea god arc was boring. But nowhere insultingly boring as AOTs story within the walls. Or Mikasas tool personality making fanboys think she is a strong female character to look up too Laughing

Hell, I rather make comparisons with Gigantomakhia
Doomroar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:28 am Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:
To put this in perspective, AoT has sold 10+ million more.

I really disagree on using that comparison cause AOT can't even pretend to be a proper shonen Berserk with God of War 2 aspects. So no point in jumbling them togethor for a comparable example since deep down I find that disrespectful. Sales mean only success in how they keep an audience hooked, not the overall quality of the product, which AOT has 100km of quality building to go before even looking at a glimpse of Berserk. Yes, the sea god arc was boring. But nowhere insultingly boring as AOTs story within the walls. Or Mikasas tool personality making fanboys think she is a strong female character to look up too Laughing

Hell, I rather make comparisons with Gigantomakhia

See he should have done Gigantomakhia years sooner, yeeeeaaaaaars sooner and get his lolicon tendencies over with, and never ever incurred in that awful waste of time that is the Fantasy arc (which includes the sea god arc, the previous arc to that one, and the current one), he took the primary exemplar of dark fantasy manga, and made it a normal fantasy manga with the main character reduced to a babysitter and a bunch of cheap fanservice, looking at the last arcs is not surprising if people then have the shameless audacity to compare Berserk to AOT, lets hope that Gigantomakhia and all its loli urine action allowed him to clear his mind and let him go back to make the Berserk we know and like to the point that other series just look half done.
traveling

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:32 am Reply with quote
SnK is not even close to an accurate comparison to Berserk.

The manga is doing well in its own right because that's an rough average of 730,000 copies per volume in Japan. The overseas sales are just icing on the cake.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:54 am Reply with quote
Doomroar wrote:
See he should have done Gigantomakhia years sooner, yeeeeaaaaaars sooner and get his lolicon tendencies over with, and never ever incurred in that awful waste of time that is the Fantasy arc (which includes the sea god arc, the previous arc to that one, and the current one), he took the primary exemplar of dark fantasy manga, and made it a normal fantasy manga with the main character reduced to a babysitter and a bunch of cheap fanservice, looking at the last arcs is not surprising if people then have the shameless audacity to compare Berserk to AOT, lets hope that Gigantomakhia and all its loli urine action allowed him to clear his mind and let him go back to make the Berserk we know and like to the point that other series just look half done.

When I reached the part where Guts assembled his new group, I knew that there would be people who would take issue with it. Sadly a portion of the fanbase, want all the characters to look like burly white men from Call of Duty. Personally I think your sick in the head to call any character in Berserk a Lolicon.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:05 am Reply with quote
I was using the comparison of them in terms of sales. I haven't really read either manga to compare which is better in terms of various tropes.
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:08 am Reply with quote
Well that's really good to hear. I hope that it helps the idea of continuing the Berserk movies on regular base. It would be good to see at least a movie/OVA sequel to the trilogy every year.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:19 am Reply with quote
So.... are they still on the boat?
ostiniatoze

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:26 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

It's been like 9 months or so since the last chapter, so my memory might be a little fuzzy, but I think they had mastered the rasengan.
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:41 am Reply with quote
I've been meaning to read this manga, but apparently the anime is a bad adaption. Sad Which is unfortunate, because I prefer anime.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:19 am Reply with quote
Lostlorn Forest wrote:
I've been meaning to read this manga, but apparently the anime is a bad adaption. Sad Which is unfortunate, because I prefer anime.

The main problem with it is it only covers the prequel, so it's like a taster, an the best parts come afterwords.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:26 am Reply with quote
Considering its numerous hiatuses and that the TV anime was over 20 years ago (the 3D GC movies are about 3 years old), those are are some nice sale figures.

ostiniatoze wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:

It's been like 9 months or so since the last chapter, so my memory might be a little fuzzy, but I think they had mastered the rasengan.

So they can finally gain access to the Soul Society?
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:44 am Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
So they can finally gain access to the Soul Society?

No, they only have 5 of the 7 Dragon Balls.
Metal Fennrir

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:52 am Reply with quote
This is what's gonna happen: we're gonna get less than 10 new chapters, and then another 2 years of hiatus

Berserk will never end. WILL NEVER END
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:11 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Lostlorn Forest wrote:

The main problem with it is it only covers the prequel, so it's like a taster, an the best parts come afterwords.

I see. I wish they'd properly adapt the main series then, especially because its so popular. Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2