• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Deadly Maids

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Gotta go for Darkrai. It's one of the few films where there's a sense of danger that isn't attributed to 'I'll take over the world'.

In the Darkrai film, people will most definitely die if they fail to stop the fighting.

Sure, it's a slight retread of the 2000 film, but at least it's a good one for the lack of a 'villain'.
NateRivers

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Ryu isn't a maid though. She's a waitress. Not that she isn't a complete bad-ass though.
I'd probably replace her with either Virgo from Fairy Tail or Grayfia from Highschool DAnime hyper.

As for Ryu, I'd probably put her in a top 5 secret bad-asses. As in people who seem mild mannered or normal, but secretly hold a ton of power.
Prince Gotonoke

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:50 am Reply with quote
I voted Destiny Deoxys, because Munchlax and Rayquaza are dope. Really though, any of the Hoenn movies could have won the poll for me.

Heroes(despite the fact the setting is based off venice!) and 4ever are probably the worst ones I've seen. And weirdly enough, I don't like the first movie. I actually saw that when it first came out in theaters, at the height of the pokemon craze, and I was like 9. I should have LOVED it, but I came away with disappointment. It was because it wasn't really like the anime, it had a darker and more serious minded story. It was not what I expected at the time. Plus, I love tournaments and there is a tournament that never happens! Then pokemon don't just battle with one another, but FIGHT, it wasn't fun, it was brutal. After that, Ash dies. Just put too much of a damper on the seeing pokemon in theaters for little me. Even as I'm older and I have a better understanding of what they were trying to do, I still don't like it. That disappointment has lived on for over 15 years. Anyway, I had no problems with 2000 or 3, go figure.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:10 am Reply with quote
_Cyphon_ wrote:
Where is Virgo from Fairy Tail? I bet she would rank pretty high.

not necessarily. about number 7 at least but definitely not higher than that. also i'm more than surprised that dorothy from big o haven't even made the list. if it cause she's a robot then they would have an argument , but considering that they have mahoro in the list, its crazy to not include dorothy on the list.

and speaking of maids like her, how is it that chachamaru from negima isnt on this list let alone got a mention? while the top three are definitely spot on,especially when it came to roberta, the rest are uber epic fail!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kevinx59

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:40 am Reply with quote
Nice list, and I'm really happy (though not surprised ) to see Roberto on the list, she's badass. And even though I've never watched any Queen's Blade I've always liked Airi's character design.

For the list I voted the Jirachi movie, I've always liked it. Special mention goes to 2000, the first Pokemon film I ever saw. The Deoxys movie was also pretty interesting, if only for the horror vibe I get when I watch it.
SaiyamanMS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:01 am Reply with quote
Y'know, commenting on Mewtwo Strikes Back is difficult, because you basically have two different movies, Takeshi Shudo's masterpiece and the total garbage 4Kids dub. And I say this as someone who in general, is willing to defend the 4Kids dub of Pokémon.

Either way though, Spell of the Unown is great and has my vote. Both the Japanese and English versions of that film are well done. (It helps that the dub script for that film is highly accurate to the original Japanese version, with the exception of anything Team Rocket says. Which I'm willing to accept as almost anything 4Kids' version of Team Rocket said was hilarious and they were largely irrelevant to the plot anyway.)
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:23 am Reply with quote
Yadilie wrote:
Terminator.

Smile

jr0904 wrote:
also i'm more than surprised that dorothy from big o haven't even made the list. if it cause she's a robot then they would have an argument , but considering that they have mahoro in the list, its crazy to not include dorothy on the list.

Oh yeah. Dorothy is definitely a huge oversight, she's awesome.

AnimeAddict2014 wrote:
Roberta is the best maid you can have

her umbrella weapon is also in Kingsman movie.. Laughing

Bar fight, Car Chase then Cat fight at the end

that's the greatest way to introduce a new character ever!!

Yup! Also, lol yeah, her umbrella weapon was in Kingsman wasn't it Smile
animefan1238

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:31 am Reply with quote
I'm glad Nico didn't get top on the poll. She's ways top of *insert poll name here*. I can understand the appeal of her but come on, there are other Love Live ladies too. Also not surprising that it's mostly original Love Live girls. The new show hasn't even come out yet and it was put on there. Too early. I'd be interested in a poll where it asked who is your current Love Live waifu and who was your waifu after the second Love Live airs.

PS- Umi is the best waifu!
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:02 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:
Roberta is the best maid you can have

her umbrella weapon is also in Kingsman movie.. Laughing

Bar fight, Car Chase then Cat fight at the end

that's the greatest way to introduce a new character ever!!

Yup! Also, lol yeah, her umbrella weapon was in Kingsman wasn't it Smile

well... Roberta's umbrella is a shotgun and it's not bulletproof though

After Roberta would be Fabiola Iglesias

she's like a miniature version of Roberta

The Lovelace family might not be much.... but all their maids are terminator class Twisted Evil

too bad Black Lagoon manga is at the standstill at the moment.. not enough materials for a 3rd season .. maybe some more ovas in the future

CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:58 pm Reply with quote
If it was any other franchise I would be sad that my favourite girl (Hanayo) is the least popular but in the case of Love Live! it means her events in LLSIF are really easy to tier in so I am happy about it. :p

However my initial favourite Sunshine girl (Ruby) is the only Aqours girl to make the list so maybe I will be in trouble when they inevitably get a smartphone game...
grooven

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:23 am Reply with quote
Sakuya is best maid! :p
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Are we going to later have "Deadly Butlers"? If so, I look forward to seeing what's on that list.

As for Pokémon movies, I voted for Spell of the Unown. It was the first genuinely creepy Pokémon story I saw (everything else before was either comically spooky or just dark and moody), and they use among the weakest of Pokémon in-game to tell it. I always liked Molly's story, and her conjuration of Entei as a surrogate father was pretty tragic. I also felt they executed the whole "little kid can turn thoughts into reality" concept really well.

My second favorite is Giratina and the Sky Warrior, but that's just because I really liked Shaymin as a character. I have not seen the Keldeo one, but I really ought to as Vic Mignogna was such a weird casting choice. That, and I got my Keldeo plush autographed by him at Anime Expo last year.
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Where in the world is Eleanor from Madlax?
Eigengrau

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Well, I've just caught up with Black Lagoon (a show I'd missed first time around) and I can't help but feeling that with Roberta the series had jumped the shark and only existed to serve up one crazy over-the-top antagonist with nigh-superhuman powers after another in a shonen manga-like succession of confrontations from that point onwards. Also, they could have renamed it "The Adventures of Revy, with Some Support by Rock" at that time, since the rest of the Lagoon team got relegated to minor support roles. A shame, because it started out much more promising. Still entertaining though, can't deny that.
Nosehair

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:05 pm Reply with quote
first place is between roberta and mahoro for me. mahoro may not be as badass and crazy but she just has so much power. and what about the deadly sniper maid from black butler? oh well. someone said the first pokemon movie, pokemon 2000 and pkemon 4ever. i completely aggree. i haven't seen anything past pokemon heroes though with latias and latios because that was the last pokemon movie to air in theaters across the U.S. an even then it was only in certain ones. 4ever was the last good one. i like 3 but i never really liked it as a kid, so now i still dont really like it and its my least favorite among the first four. i can narrow it down between 1 and 4 but i can't help but say that 1 is the best.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4