• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Licenses Speed Racer, Noein Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Whoa...can't say I ever expected to see FUNi of all people nab Speed Racer.

So, wait, the English audio there...since it says they'll release episodes that never got released over here...are they doing a new dub for the series? Releasing the old dub, but it reverts to Japanese only for those particular episodes? I'm curious to see how they're gonna handle this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:23 pm Reply with quote
All I want to know is, will the Funimation release of Noein still have the blooper reels?

"Crispin Freeman, get out of my bedroom!"
Levonr

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:26 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Do you suppose they'll redub Noein or just reuse the crappy English track from the Media Blasters release? I tried listening to the English track on my DVD and couldn't make it past about five minutes. I especially cringed during the scenes with Yukie-sensei. While I understand how using an American Southern accent was the de facto standard for representing Kansai-ben speakers, the actress who voiced Yukie sounded like she had just left an afternoon tea with the Birmingham, Alabama, chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution.

It wasn't released by Media Blasters.

Of course they aren't doing to make a new dub. That would be a waste of time & money. Besides I thought the dub got great feedback. Well I thought it was very solid, staring great voice actors(Crispin Freeman, Melissa Fahn & Yuri Lowenthal).

animenewsnetwork.com/review/noein-to-your-other-self/dvd-1
"More impressive is the English dub, which feels right on the mark. Every performance hits the right tone, effectively conveying scenes with appropriate emotion and flair suitable to English speaking style, and most of the voices are very good matches. The English voice of Haruka's friend Ai sounds a little raspy, but that's a minor complaint, and the accent given to the female Ab-Com agent is handled well. The script stays close enough that it shouldn't generate major complaints, although its choice of words in some places is debatable." - Theron Martin

Last edited by Levonr on Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:29 pm; edited 3 times in total
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Noein? A series I've been meaning to check out. Now, I can do so on BDs. Laughing

And, I'm with those waiting on the Steins;Gate movie!
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm probably happy that Funi picked up the Noein license (it's not like NISA or Aniplex would have done so, and Nozomi hasn't made much progress with Blu-rays; that doesn't leave much). It's a favorite of mine. I don't recall anything that I might have read about the Japanese Blu-ray release over on AoDVD or FandomPost. Because of that, and Funi's occasional banding issues (and there are so many dark scenes in Noein that are perfect for the problem), I likely won't be pre-ordering the set.

I hope to read many good reviews of the a/v quality... ^^
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure that "English audio" means it will be the original 1967 dub with Peter Fernandez as Go Mifune/Speed Racer.

In any case...

At long last, the original Japanese version of Speed Racer (or Mach Go Go Go as its called over there). I just hope they don't plaster the Japanese audio over the English video (whichever version they end up using*). I hope we can see the original Japanese video as well (which includes a longer version of the opening; the English dub left out the second verse to the theme song).

Oh yeah, and as this is clearly a family show (though I'm told the dub cut out some instances of violence), I REALLY hope that Funimation's subtitles don't try to make it more "mature" than it really is. Just saying, but swearing gets you nothing and nowhere, plus it just makes you look stupid, among things. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but anime isn't just for the older fans. Families watch it too. Okay, I'm done.

Oh, and one more thing. I really, REALLY hope that the subtitles don't insult everyone's intelligence by simply being a "dub-titled" version (especially if it's a "dub-titled" version that simply substitutes the dub names for the original ones), or worse yet, by being a new translation, but with the dub names (e.g., audio says "Michi", but the subs say "Trixie"). That would be the worst thing ever.

Fun fact, this was Tatsunoko's second series, and the first one they made in color (although they did make one or two black and white shows afterwards).

*There are two versions of the (dub) opening and ending sequences: the "Trans-Lux" version, and the "Speed Racer Enterprises" version (which was taken mostly from PAL masters; this version was seen on the Cartoon Network, and was used on Lionsgate's DVD release). It's not clear at the moment if FUNimation's release will use one of those or just use the Japanese video (which would be just fine with me, but still).
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:50 pm Reply with quote
I'll definitely upgrade Noein to BR. It was a great series IMHO.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:04 pm Reply with quote
If Funimation's not redubbing Speed Racer but including the old English audio, I really wonder how they're going to pull that off without using separate video tracks. It's not clear how extensive the cuts were in the dub. I've also read that prints on the more recent releases may have been shorter than they were in the original American broadcast run, as a result of syndication cuts.

When Streamline Pictures made that compilation movie back in 1993, by editing 3 episodes of the dub together, they actually managed to re-integrate cut footage from the Japanese version. However, these were non-dialog scenes (like shots of drivers trapped inside burning vehicles).

Last edited by FLCLGainax on Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:14 pm; edited 3 times in total
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Noein on Blu-ray?! OH MY GAWWWWWWWWWD

Funi you just made my day!
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:28 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
Noein on bluray?

YUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!

I am very pleased by this news. After I pick it up, it'd be a good opportunity to rewatch it.

Sentire hasn't seen it so it was in our to watch pile eventually lol. A BD release would certainly jump it ahead several places to the front of the line.
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:36 pm Reply with quote
TheHTRO wrote:
I hope we can see the original Japanese video as well (which includes a longer version of the opening; the English dub left out the second verse to the theme song).

Oh yeah, and as this is clearly a family show (though I'm told the dub cut out some instances of violence), I REALLY hope that Funimation's subtitles don't try to make it more "mature" than it really is. Just saying, but swearing gets you nothing and nowhere, plus it just makes you look stupid, among things. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but anime isn't just for the older fans. Families watch it too. Okay, I'm done.

1)Not to mention a killer drum solo.

2) Ooh, that drives me nuts when English releases have harsher swears in softer material because the dub studio is trying to be 'hip'.

Oh, and.....

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Nope, that's not gonna do it..

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Lord tunderin' Jeez-boy! We're finally getting this?! I just.. I just.. wow. I had actually put this one in the 'when hell freezes over' pile.

We got Gatchaman; We got Casshan; Bout freakin' time we got Mach Go Go Go over here.

Neighbours, get ready: She's bringing that damn Speed Racer album out again. Maybe I'll get a new generation of neighbours who won't call it Speed Racer, anymore.
CornBreadMan264

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:40 pm Reply with quote
FLCLGainax wrote:
If Funimation's not redubbing Speed Racer but including the old English audio, I really wonder how they're going to pull that off without using separate video tracks. It's not clear how extensive the cuts were in the dub. I've also read that prints on the more recent releases may have been shorter than they were in the original American broadcast run, as a result of syndication cuts.

When Streamline Pictures made that compilation movie back in 1993, by editing 3 episodes of the dub together, they actually managed to re-integrate cut footage from the Japanese version. However, these were non-dialog scenes (like shots of drivers trapped inside burning vehicles).

I beleave that they would have to create 2 playlists on the Blu-rays for that. But what I want to know the most is are they going to remaster the English dialog onto a new recording track or just pull the old existing recordings/Audio from the old DVDs?
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Oh, okay. I see how it is. Gonna re-release Speed Racer but not rescue Speed Racer X? No, no, it's fine, FUNi. I'm not mad.

Seriously, though, cool announcement, will definitely be buying this on BluRay.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:25 am Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
Speed Racer? Really? Is that a typo? Its not "Busty Racer" or "Speed Booty: Tokyo Rift"? It could sit next to Funi's Sekirei, Freezing, Ikkitousen and other shows. Oh, wait it really is Speed Racer? Wow, I would have expected a Discotek or even Sentai to pick this up. I'm surprised as it doesn't seem to be in the normal stable of shows that they pick up. Maybe its a package deal or they acquired rights to future stuff in the franchise? I'll be really curious to see where this goes.

I was extremely surprised by this news too. This seems like the type of show Discotek would pick up instead. When was the last time Funimation an old school show that was an edited for TV dub? I wonder if this is their payback for Discotek getting Free season one? But I'm really excited for this. Speed Racer was like the first anime I ever saw before I even knew what anime was and I always wanted to see the Japanese version so I'm excited we finally have that chance and on BD too. I'm definitely going to be getting this.

Quote:

Oh, and one more thing. I really, REALLY hope that the subtitles don't insult everyone's intelligence by simply being a "dub-titled" version (especially if it's a "dub-titled" version that simply substitutes the dub names for the original ones), or worse yet, by being a new translation, but with the dub names (e.g., audio says "Michi", but the subs say "Trixie"). That would be the worst thing ever.
I seriously doubt this is going to happen. How often does Funimation regularly 15ing up their subtitles? I imagine at most we'll get damn and hell but that's what you see in pretty much all subtitled anime. I somehow doubt they're going to have f-bombs every five seconds or something. I also doubt Funimation is going to have dubtitles. When has Funimation ever used dubtitles in their shows?

Quote:
I'm assuming they'll probably be releasing Speed Racer and Mach Go Go in separate boxsets. Like they'll probably have one dubonly set for Speed Racer that will just be the edited dub and then have a separate boxset for Mach Go Go that will be sub only. That's pretty much how every anime company has done for edited dub shows.
CornBreadMan264

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:22 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm assuming they'll probably be releasing Speed Racer and Mach Go Go in separate boxsets. Like they'll probably have one dubonly set for Speed Racer that will just be the edited dub and then have a separate boxset for Mach Go Go that will be sub only. That's pretty much how every anime company has done for edited dub shows.

That's another way they could do it. If so, then I hope they remaster the English audio!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5