• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Licenses Speed Racer, Noein Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:01 am Reply with quote
CCTakato wrote:
I wonder if this is their payback for Discotek getting Free season one?

First off, Crunchyroll's the main licensor for Free season 1 here and this includes home video rights (as confirmed here & here) so any blame should go straight to them (& the Japanese licensor) and if you ask me, FUNi's pretty much doing a "good" job getting back at them with the amount of shows they have picked up this year for North American simulcast.

As for Discotek, they stopped getting Tatsunoko titles after Sentai beat them to getting 70s Casshan in 2013 (along with other Tatsunoko titles which we only know half of so far) which is okay in that case because Discotek picked up 70s Devilman from Toei instead as a result.

If anything, FUNi picking up 60s Speed would be sending a message to Sentai but then again, with Tatsunoko now working on a new reboot series, FUNi might be interested and getting the 60s show is probably the first step in getting that whenever it's ready. I'm personally glad for this (though I was hoping Sentai would get it myself) but I hope FUNi doesn't ignore the 90s reboot & get that soon as well and if not then hopefully Sentai or Discotek will.

Quote:
How often does Funimation regularly 15ing up their subtitles? I imagine at most we'll get damn and hell but that's what you see in pretty much all subtitled anime. I somehow doubt they're going to have f-bombs every five seconds or something.

Not sure about their subs but this sounds more like a complaint over some of their dubs since that usually happens there. I don't see Speed getting redubbed though so that shouldn't be a problem.

Quote:
I also doubt Funimation is going to have dubtitles. When has Funimation ever used dubtitles in their shows?

Not since 2005, their old DVDs used to have 2 sub options, one for the Japanese audio & one for the deaf & hard of hearing (which I admit that I do miss).

With how popular Speed is, it would be interesting if they brought it back via Closed Captions like Viz did for Sailor Moon but I won't get my hopes up.

Quote:
I'm assuming they'll probably be releasing Speed Racer and Mach Go Go in separate boxsets. Like they'll probably have one dubonly set for Speed Racer that will just be the edited dub and then have a separate boxset for Mach Go Go that will be sub only. That's pretty much how every anime company has done for edited dub shows.

Either that or use more discs than usual, there have been some anime released recently which used both edited & uncut videos on the same disc like for example, Discotek's Sherlock Hound set (all 26 episodes on 6 DVDs) & the first Patlabor TV set from Maiden Japan (4 DVDs & 3 BDs with 12 episodes all because MJ was given an edited version of the dub for the first 5 episodes).
CCTakato

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:31 am Reply with quote
Now when is somebody going to finally release Robotech on Blu ray?
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:19 am Reply with quote
Woah, nice. Did not expect either of those pickups!
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:46 am Reply with quote
Yay~♡
Noien on bluray! With all the CG it has, I hope the transfer is okay...
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:01 am Reply with quote
CCTakato wrote:
I imagine at most we'll get [beep] and [beep]...

I reiterate:

-I hope the subtitles don't try to make it more "mature" than it really is.

-Families watch anime too.

Again, just saying.

Also, I'm sorry for editing your post like that, but that was just to illustrate my point.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:44 am Reply with quote
Usagi-kun wrote:
Yay~♡
Noien on bluray! With all the CG it has, I hope the transfer is okay...

Here's a comparison with the Japanese BDs & the Manga US DVDs.

hissatsu wrote:
(DVD screenshots bicubic resized to 1920x1080)

01 R1DVD | BD
02 R1DVD | BD
03 R1DVD | BD
04 R1DVD | BD
05 R1DVD | BD
06 R1DVD | BD
07 R1DVD | BD
08 R1DVD | BD
09 R1DVD | BD
10 R1DVD | BD
11 R1DVD | BD
12 R1DVD | BD
13 R1DVD | BD
14 R1DVD | BD
15 R1DVD | BD
16 R1DVD | BD
17 R1DVD | BD
18 R1DVD | BD
19 R1DVD | BD
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:50 am Reply with quote
Not a terrible upscale.
hikura

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:51 am Reply with quote
First they are officially releasing LOTGH and now this.I am impressed good older titles are getting released.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:28 pm Reply with quote
TheHTRO wrote:
CCTakato wrote:
I imagine at most we'll get [beep] and [beep]...

I reiterate:

-I hope the subtitles don't try to make it more "mature" than it really is.

-Families watch anime too.

Again, just saying.

Also, I'm sorry for editing your post like that, but that was just to illustrate my point.
I suppose it's a subjective opinion but are those words really all that mature? I remember the first two Harry Potter movies had some mild swearing in them and they were rated PG and they didn't seem to scar that many kids. Going from my own personal experience growing up, I"m sure most kids have probably heard worse words than that at school from bullies and stuff or from their own parents fighting with each other. Kids are going to hear swear words eventually. As long as you teach kids to be respectful and lead by example, I'm not sure what the problem is if they find out rude words exist.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Boy, that partnership with Tatsunoko is really paying dividents for Sentai, huh? I would express surprise at this, but this is Tatsunoko we're talking about…

I thought Manga had the license to Noein still, but I guess not. I suppose they more interested in piggybacking on…err…gaining streaming rights for other distributors' shows and making "fan" content, these days…
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:05 pm Reply with quote
I find the fact that they licensed Speed Racer to be appropriate since the original Japanese Speed Racer voice also voiced the original Japanese Cyborg 009,of which Funi has licensed the most recently adapted (that has been released on DVD/BD).
Wrial Huden

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Funimation will release Speed Racer (Mach Go Go Go) for the first time on Blu-ray and in Japanese with English subtitles.

Yes, yes, YES!!! Very Happy
iatheia

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:33 pm Reply with quote
I don't even know for how many years I searched for the original Mach Go Go Go. It was nowhere to be found - every legal and illegal resource had only the american version. Even looking at the releases in different language seemed to use english as a base (most terrifying of which was montone russian fandub where you can still hear the english in background). I gave up thinking that after all these years it had been cut and recut to the point where it might no longer exist. So this is an incredible surprise.
Desslok

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:10 pm Reply with quote
I would have thought for sure that Discotek would have landed Speed Racer, being the home of all things old and retro. But hey, I'll take it!

So I wonder if they'll do a new dub? That would be . . . weird.
Shokara

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:49 pm Reply with quote
First off I am shocked and pleased as punch to hear Funimation is releasing Speed Racer with its original Japanese version included on BD. Second, I would be shocked and dismayed if they didn't include the 1967 Trans-Lux English dub directed by and starring the late Peter Fernandez.

I know that in this fandom we tend to take on the pretentiousness of placing the original Japanese versions of manga and anime up on a pedestal. In this case, however, I think it would be ridiculous to ignore the Speed Racer English dub's place in American pop culture. Despite whatever many may think, nostalgia over the American version that has aired on and off on American TV for decades would be an enormous drive for buying this.

To make a new dub to better fit the Japanese version and not include the American version that so many over the years have become familiar with, many would likely be turned off from picking it up despite the inclusion of the Japanese version. I believe this is a moment where "American pop culture posterity" and "anime purism" are equally important and should be treated with equal care.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5