• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Adds 1976 Gaiking, Wicked City Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Pinch me I must be dreaming, Gaiking in its entirety? IN ENGLISH SUBS? WITH AN OFFICIAL US RELEASE!? This calls for epic music!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4P63p7C674

THANK YOU BASED DISCOTEK!
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Surprising they were able to get Gaiking considering that Shout Factory has the rights to the William Winckler dub (which is available on DVD). I guess this means the licenses for Starzinger & Danguard Ace are also available so it'll be interesting if they go after those in the future. Either way I'll be looking forward to buying this since I enjoyed what I saw of it on my Winckler dub DVDs (even if the dub itself was pretty weak).

As for Wicked City, heard decent things about it and with them having both English dubs, I might consider buying.

Last edited by NJ_ on Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:45 pm; edited 3 times in total
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:42 pm Reply with quote
I personally found Wicked City to be a reprehensibly distasteful, ultra violent, disgusting, misogynistic work that I just can't stand. I was so sick to my stomach by the time I finished watching it for the first time that I just can't go back to it at all.

I will say that dub-wise, the Streamline version, surprisingly, is the superior of the two. Not something I expected to say of this movie. The UK Manga dub is really laughable and badly acted. Lots of ill-fitting voices and stacatto-delivered dialogue that borders on so bad its funny.

I'm not fond of the film either way.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Since this company specialize in licensing older/classic titles, Discotek would have had more sense to release Speed Racer here than Fuimation.
Shar Aznabull

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully this means Legend of Daiku-Maryu with cleaned up subs isn't too far behind.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:54 pm Reply with quote
TurnerJ wrote:
I personally found Wicked City to be a reprehensibly distasteful, ultra violent, disgusting, misogynistic work that I just can't stand. I was so sick to my stomach by the time I finished watching it for the first time that I just can't go back to it at all.

I will say that dub-wise, the Streamline version, surprisingly, is the superior of the two.

Wicked City pretty much belongs to the Streamline days, back when the only anime we could get imported were the splatter and borderline-hentai OVA's that the licensors were happy to get rid of, and Macek wanted to follow his Fist of the North Star act by showing us how "different" early R-rated anime was.
Nowadays, it's a little too common, and we can look back and recognize it for "The stuff we used to get back then", when neither we nor the Japan-fear press knew any better and thought this was what all real anime looked like.

On the upside, I'm rooting for Discotek, as they seem to be giving all the ancient Streamlines a good home, whether they deserve one or not.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Shar Aznabull wrote:
Hopefully this means Legend of Daiku-Maryu with cleaned up subs isn't too far behind.

Agreed and hopefully it's by Discotek & not New Video/Cinedigm.

I remember those subs Toei put out on Crunchyroll & elsewhere and got annoyed each time there were lines that weren't subbed at all. Sad because that show was actually very fun to watch.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I started watching the 00s Gaiking recently, it is a pretty good show.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Oh, a 70's mecha show, eh? I will consider getting that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:39 pm Reply with quote
TurnerJ wrote:

.. and I love it for almost those reasons -and pretty much that kind of reaction- because if horror/action works don't offend certain people then they're not trying hard enough to entertain me. Still, I'm not happy about the release for one simple reason: It's a film, why is it DVD only? Boo!

Magic Knight Rayearth on BD? Ok, ok, if and that's if it's both season 1 and 2 because I couldn't afford the remastered season 2 so I had to get the bad one. And from the case on down, man is it ever...
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Discotek, you guys are on fire with these releases! :D
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Magic Knight Rayearth on BD? Ok, ok, if and that's if it's both season 1 and 2 because I couldn't afford the remastered season 2 so I had to get the bad one. And from the case on down, man is it ever...

The article didn't say, but yes, at the panel, they said it was all 49 episodes.
Wrial Huden

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Discotek continues to please! I thought I would never see the original Cutey Honey series on video, but it now sits on one of my shelves!
VampireNaomi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I've never watched any of these old mecha shows. Is their appeal primarily the mechas and monsters, or do they have interesting human characters as well? I don't care about mechas, but if any of these series offer any plotlines or character development about the pilots and their friends, I'd be interested. The first impression all these shows give me is that it's just fighting a different enemy in every episode with nothing else happening.

I'd love to support some of these releases, but I fear I'll end up buying something that has zero appeal to me.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:24 pm Reply with quote
TurnerJ wrote:

I will say that dub-wise, the Streamline version, surprisingly, is the superior of the two. Not something I expected to say of this movie. The UK Manga dub is really laughable and badly acted. Lots of ill-fitting voices and stacatto-delivered dialogue that borders on so bad its funny.

I'm not fond of the film either way.

I miss the ultraviolent, sexist, mysogynistic great anime OVAs and films of the eighties and nineties. Nowadays everything is just so damn bland. Tasteless. Give me back Urutsukidoji. Laughing

Kawajiri films are great. People just don't understand them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2