• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Attack on Titan Manga Has 2.5 Million Copies in Print in English

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:30 pm Reply with quote
That is a very good amount. Especially with the way the industry is now, that is a really good amount.
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Wish I had taken advantage of the buy two get one free deal that Barnes and Noble was having that expired two days ago, considering I had bought two Attack on Titan manga from there two weeks early. Sad
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
That is a very good amount. Especially with the way the industry is now, that is a really good amount.

Last time DC did a reboot, I remember Dan DiDio saying most of their titles don't even hit 100,000 copies any more, which would suggest that Eren, Levi and Mikasa are bigger draws than Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman, at least in print.
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:18 pm Reply with quote
The vast majority of the monthly comic books, from Marvel and DC, probably average around 70k (I may be generous there). So, yeah, comic books aren't a massive draw. The top seller, in a given month, may crack or get close to 100k.

And, here I'm talking about a normal series. Not the company wide events that DC/Marvel do. Those ones can crack 500k. The trades, or "graphic novels", that come out collecting these issues every 6 months or so (you'd wait longer than that for DC trades), are lucky to crack 10k.

Since I don't really track the sales, I'm unsure if...say, 15 issues of Batman would be less than 15 volumes of AoT, in terms of sales. It certainly would be less reading content. I wouldn't even compare trades, as I'd say AoT would win that competition easily. Laughing

Last edited by Ali07 on Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:25 pm Reply with quote
I meant that it is doing well under the current condition of the anime and manga industry.
Sir Daniel Fortesque

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Western comics has a ridiculously huge digital presence though.

New Attack on Titan volume every 4 months which has a msrp of $11, sells probably 100k copies while Detective Comics from DC will sell 100k copies every month for 4 months in the same time span, $3x4 months is $12.

There's a big difference in the profit margins though, Kodansha probably only makes $5 profit for each book while DC makes nearly pure profit due to the advertisements.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:13 pm Reply with quote
kind of a sad number. they sold 2.5M+ for one vol in Japan.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Well, other countries have their own entertainment options, so Attack on Titan would have much more competition. There's also much less marketing in other countries.

Besides, it's nothing compared to One Piece in the difference in popularity between in Japan and in the English-speaking world.
FlyGuySempai

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:20 pm Reply with quote
WHO CARES!!!!!!!!! SEASON 2 OR NAH???
Clodus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:08 am Reply with quote
FlyGuySempai wrote:
WHO CARES!!!!!!!!! SEASON 2 OR NAH???
Season 2 has already been confirmed for 2016 release. {Insulting others is strictly forbidden. ~nobahn} would take his time to at least do that much research.

2.5 Million copies is might seem minimal compared to the it's Japanese counterpart but is quite an impressive feat.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:13 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:

In case you have forgotten, anime and manga isn't exactly super popular in America. AoT may have gotten a lot of mainstream attention here, but I bet most people watched it on Toonami or streamed it online (Netflix, for one example). Manga is even more obscure than anime, so watching things instead of reading them is also very American. I wouldn't expect the manga to be popping out a million copies per volume in the States. It's been on the manga bestseller list for over two years, but we don't have actual sales numbers to go with those rankings on a week-by-week basis.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:31 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:

As Razor/Edge said, the manga/anime industry isn't what it used to be. These sales figures are what some manga publishers would desire to have. Also, for some reason, the AoT franchise has been able to become more mainstream or get more mainstream attention compared to various other series (excluding the big ones like Naruto).
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:46 pm Reply with quote
That's an amazing amount.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1