• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Eras of Japanese History via Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CG

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Nerroth wrote:
While the early-to-mid Sengoku era gets a lot of attention, there seem to be few, if any, Japanese series which look at the Azuchi-Momoyama period.

Technically, Hyougemono is set in the Azuchi-Momoyama, beginning at the tail end of Nobunaga's hegemony and ending just at the peak of Toyotomi's.

The first two Shogunates (Kamakura and Muromachi) and the Asuka are the periods with a dearth of adaptation. Strange because the Kamakura saw the melodrama of Yoshitsune, the Muromachi saw the assassination of Ashikaga Yoshinori, and the Asuka saw the wiping out of the Soga and the rise of the Fujiwara - think of all the drama!

The movie/OVA adaptations of Osamu Tezuka's Hi no Tori series should have been mentioned here because they feature two historical periods touched rarely in anime (in fact it's the only title I know that touches them). The Yamato-hen, which is set in the Kofun, and the Houou-hen, set in the Nara. There's even one set in the uncertain period of the reign of Himiko, the Reimei-hen.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Samurai Deeper Kyo is interesting in that both Kyo/Kyoshiro is voiced Dan Green/Jay Snyder while Benitora is voiced by Wayne Grayson. That is, it's a Yugi/Yami Yugi/Atem reunion with Jounochi/Joey.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:30 am Reply with quote
Voted for Girls Dead Monster on the poll. Also, happy to see the first Pokemon movie won the last poll. Laughing

As for the article, I feel like I've not seen much historical anime at all...

I do like Samurai, so I think I may end up checking out House of 5 Leaves. I've also been meaning to check out Otome Yōkai Zakuro, it's been on my "to watch" list for a long time. May get around to grabbing a copy from NISA.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:12 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Voted for Girls Dead Monster on the poll. Also, happy to see the first Pokemon movie won the last poll. Laughing

As for the article, I feel like I've not seen much historical anime at all...

I do like Samurai, so I think I may end up checking out House of 5 Leaves. I've also been meaning to check out Otome Yōkai Zakuro, it's been on my "to watch" list for a long time. May get around to grabbing a copy from NISA.

Been meaning to check many of these titles myself. Including the aforementioned House of Five Leaves and Otome Youkai Zakuro. But I was unaware House of Five Leaves even mentioned Burakumin.
omiya

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:00 am Reply with quote
Nerroth wrote:

Similarly, I found it surprising how few, if any, series (animated or live-action) make any mention of the Mongol invasions of Japan - despite how critical a period this was in east Asian history.

It might be covered in the manga https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/アンゴルモア〜元寇合戦記〜.
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:52 am Reply with quote
SaiyamanMS wrote:

If we're going by the Japanese version, I'd say the first three films are the best. Pokémon was always at its best with Takeshi Shudo writing the script. Of course, most people are probably voting off nostalgia for the 4Kids dub. (The Mewtwo Strikes Back dub is the worst thing 4Kids ever did to Pokémon other than Pokémon Chronicles.)

I was going for the whole 'purpose of the big thing in the movie'.

Most pokemon movies have a guy saying 'I will take over the world', but Darkrai instead has 'people will die if we don't stop this'. Not really an evil guy in that movie, thankfully.

Still at least we can all agree that the worst generation movie-wise was gen 5.
Eigengrau

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:37 am Reply with quote
Am I the only one who would love to see an anime about the Jomon period? So far, San from Princess Mononoke is the only hint we got in that direction.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:51 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
I do like Samurai, so I think I may end up checking out House of 5 Leaves.

If you're looking for swash-buckling, there's none of that in House of Five Leaves. The samurai in this show is a ronin, recently fired from his master's employ. He encounters a small band of kidnappers and slowly becomes involved with them. It's largely a psychological drama, though an excellent one.
SaiyamanMS

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:04 am Reply with quote
Lord Dcast wrote:
I was going for the whole 'purpose of the big thing in the movie'.

Most pokemon movies have a guy saying 'I will take over the world', but Darkrai instead has 'people will die if we don't stop this'. Not really an evil guy in that movie, thankfully.

Still at least we can all agree that the worst generation movie-wise was gen 5.

... Actually looking at it, very few villains in Pokémon movies have the goal of taking over the world. Quite a few seeking great power and/or riches, but very few wanting the whole world.

The Darkrai movie was the best of the Diamond & Pearl films though. The Best Wishes films were certainly weaker than the previous ones and I was fairly unimpressed by the Diancie film as well. Hopefully Hoopa will be better? I don't have high hopes for it though.

Personally, I voted for Spell of the Unown in the poll, but was also very close to giving my vote to Lucario and the Mystery of Mew.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:48 am Reply with quote
Isn't Night Raid 1931 really early Showa, not Taisho?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:18 am Reply with quote
While it isn't the whole list, the Wikipedia article of "People of the Sengoku period in popular culture" lists 44 people in pop culture.

Nobunaga is important to Japanese Christianity since he helped form the first Kyoto Christian Church in 1576.

Retired Japanese figure skater Nobunari Oda (he turned 28 on March 25) claims to be the great (x15) grandson of Nobunaga.

His wikis says:
Quote:
In April 2010, Oda married his longtime girlfriend, Mayu,[4] and their son, Shintaro, was born on October 1, 2010.[5] Originally scheduled for April 23, 2011, the wedding was postponed due to the rescheduling of the World Championships.[6] Their second son was born on January 5, 2013.[7]
Oda has expressed interest in becoming a school teacher following the end of his skating career."

While this claim is debatable, according to Wikipedia, Confucius' descendants are still alive. How so? Well, according to his Wiki article, "Confucius' descendants were repeatedly identified and honored by successive imperial governments with titles of nobility and official posts. "

Heck, the "Kong (surname)" wiki article says that "This surname Kong is most notable as the surname of Confucius and his descendants. The family tree of Confucius and his descendants is generally considered to be the world longest, covering over 2,500 years with more than 80 generations recorded, and has two million entries according to its last update in 2009."

Since successive Chinese governments have recognized this, I will say it likely is legit. Of course, any gov't may or may not have legitimate documentation that recognizes someone as being descended or allegedly descended from notable historical figures.
varmintx

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Millennium Actress sort of runs through all of Japanese history (as seen through Japanese cinema) from about 1500 to ~2500. It's practically the godmother of this List. Very Happy
Since it's one of my all-time favorite movies (anime or otherwise), I feel kind of stupid for not thinking about it the moment I saw the topic. Embarassed
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Blue21 wrote:
The Arceus movie in last place? Shame, I think it's the last good Pokemon movie, and the best one of Gen IV.

well i'm not surprised . however considering how much people disliked the 2nd one, i was sure that one would be in last place. though it was pretty much a give me that the 8th movie (which was the final vocal work for the original cast before being replaced by the awful PUSA cast) and the 5th movie.

However I'm more surprised that the warren states era from inuyasha isnt even on this list. talk about EPIC FAIL!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:07 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
On the poll, can we correct "Girls Dead Monsters" to "Girls Dead Monster" (ie, "Monster" is singular)? Thanks.

EDIT: Also, am I missing something in the absence of all the idol groups like μ's or Wake Up Girls? Are we limiting it to bands that actually play instruments?

I'll fix it and yes to the second question. It helps keep things much more manageable.

Top Gun wrote:
Kind of surprised to not see Samurai Champloo listed for the Edo period, since it manages to touch on multiple aspects of the culture of that time.

Samurai Champloo is a really entertaining show, but it's full of anachronisms.

DavidShallcross wrote:
Isn't Night Raid 1931 really early Showa, not Taisho?

Technically yes, but the issues brought up in it are effects of the Taisho era, so you can still learn some from it. It's the same way of when people think of the 1960s culture, they really mean the counterculture and style that wasn't evident until post 1964ish. If you plopped down in America 1961, it still looks a lot like America 1957.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Color2413

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:18 pm Reply with quote
There's Chōyaku Hyakunin isshu: Uta Koi, set in the Heian period. I thought it was very well done, and it had an usual hook: poetry.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6