• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Akane Analyzes (Spoilerific).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Mm I get where you're coming from...but Kirito was not always the solo victor. He has only won on his own a couple times....and the biggest battles he fought, he fought with a good number of people....or at least another very strong partner. He has made mistakes that would absolutely result in his own death, had there not been others watching out for him.

That's why I won't call him a Mary-Sue.

^

We say partner, yet he stands up for her against Heathcliff when she can clearly defend herself because Kirito has a 1930's man mindset.

I think the ideal type of character for this kind of story is Subaru from Re:Zero, for all the reasons that Jacob listed in his article. But even if you won't call Kirito a Gary Stu, I still think the author gave me little to work with in calling him something else.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:24 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
We say partner, yet he stands up for her against Heathcliff when she can clearly defend herself because Kirito has a 1930's man mindset.

If you mean he thinks "women are weak", no, he absolutely doesn't think that.
He worships the ground Asuna walks on and doesn't think he's good enough for her. Anime hyper

And it's a natural instinct to want to protect the person you love whether they can do it without you or not.

Quote:
But even if you won't call Kirito a Gary Stu, I still think the author gave me little to work with in calling him something else.

Mary-Sues are supposed be perfection with no explanation for it and they never make serious mistakes. :p If they have flaws, it's like "oops, she's clumsy but everyone finds that adorable". Bleh

This doesn't describe Kirito. Far from it. In fact, it's rare to find anime characters who are true Sues. But Sakuya from Tenchi in Tokyo is dead-on. She feels exactly like a fanfic self-insert....which is the original definition of a Sue.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Akane Recaps Sword Butt Online Episode Twenty-Five: Not As Bad As Expected

Last Time On SAO:

Yui: Here we are at the World Tree, Human Father!
Kirito: So we are. Hey, Yui, why are you human-looking again?
Yui: ...beats me.
Kirito: Hey, there's no hidden city here! Those b*****ds lied to us!
Yui: I have located Human Mother!
Asuna: Kirito! Robot Daughter!
Yui: Human Mother! We're all together again!
Kirito: What could possibly go wrong?
Dan Backslide: Ahem. I'M EVIL!
Kirito: You monster!
Dan Backslide: Chains! Restrain my underaged bride!
Kirito: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Dan Backslide: Oh look, a sword in your torso.
Kirito: Ouch.
Dan Backslide: Now, Asuna, we must have sex!
Asuna: Goddamit! Why does this keep happening to me!?
Kirito: Unhand her, Dan Backslide!
Ghost Kayaba: What seems to be the problem, little boy?
Kirito: That a**hole's stripping my waifu!
Ghost Kayaba: Good news! You get complete control of ALO! Merry Christmas!
Kirito: Christmas was last month.
Ghost Kayaba: Then consider it a late gift. HO HO HO!
Kirito: Hey, Dan Backslide!
Dan Backslide: What?
Kirito: I'm going to punch your face in the face! I'm in charge now!
Kirito beats the sh*t out of Dan Backslide.
Dan Backslide: In hindsight, I was pretty dumb villain.
Asuna: My hero!
Kirito: Bye Asuna. See you at the hospital.
Ghost Kayaba: Oh, I forgot to give you another Christmas present! Here you go.
Kirito: It's...a seed.
Ghost Kayaba: Isn't it amazing!? It's kind of like Mario Maker!
Kirito: COOL!
Yui: And I'm Yui! I was relevant for some reason!
Back in the real world...
Suguha: So did you save the day?
Kirito: I'll explain everything later! I have to meet my waifu!

Well..."The World Seed" wasn't so bad. Actually, it's kind of...nice. Sure, the first five minutes or so are dumb as hell, but the rest? It's fine. Hell, could I even call this episode the true ending of "Fairy Dance"? With so many characters appearing from "Aincrad" just for this episode, I'd be more inclined to call this Season One's epilogue. Let's see what happens.

The final episode starts off with Kirito biking through the snow to the hospital. Driven forward by his love of Asuna and fear of her death (and the thought of eating those tasty sandwiches), he hurries faster, even running just so he could see her again. Suddenly, while in the parking lot, his hand is slashed! Guess who did it.

[...no, we're not THAT far in the future of Japan.]

It's Dan Backslide, minus his sanity. To be honest, when you separate this scene from everything that came before it, this confrontation is actually pretty creepy. Turns out the villain managed to get to the hospital ahead of Kirito, and he's been waiting. Because before he can make good on his promise of raping Asuna, he's going to kill him. Painfully.

Dan Backslide begins to kick the wounded Kirito, still insisting he'll get away with his plans because he's insane. He almost stabs him, but only manages to slash his cheek due to the fact that his right eye's been permanently damaged, no thanks to Kirito's stupidity. In response he manages to get back up and fight Dan Backslide, with the knowledge that his opponent is an idiot. Kirito almost slits his throat before remembering that That's Not What Heroes Do. You know...you could have ran inside the hospital and called the cops, but noooooo.

Kirito heads up to Asuna's room, where she's been waiting for him all this time. They hug, and Asuna notices the cut on Kirito's face. He reassures her that everything's fine and that it's all over (until the second season airs), but she can't hear him too well because, you know, coma for over two years. They cry and hug and kiss and introduce themselves, and this would have been really sweet except for the fact that it's too late for me to care about their relationship,

We cut to the following spring, where Kirito is in class at his new school for SAO survivors. He goes outside to meet with Asuna for lunch, and they have some banter about how Kirito sounds like an old man and how they need to use each other's real life names. Asuna reveals that she only recent got off crutches and mentions that everyone from the cafeteria can see them being lovey-dovey. Then she presents Kirito with his favorite food of all time. Which "Kirito X Sandwich" meme should I use?

We then get some exposition on Asuna's family and what happened after "Fairy Dance". Asuna's father retired early as CEO of whatever sort of company the Yuukis run. Meanwhile, Dan Backslide was arrested and appears to have aged overnight, the three hundred players that were totally relevant to this arc were freed, and it seems that VRMMOs have taken a backlash due to the events of the first season. (...put your hand down, Season Two.) Oh, and ALO was shut down, no duh because it was a scam, and Kayaba is Dead For Reals.

Meanwhile in the cafeteria, Lisbeth (real name Rika) and Silica are back! They appear to have become close friends, as Lisbeth MST3Ks Kirito and Asuna's wub. Also, they're both going to a party with the other SAO survivors. Note to self: possible lesbian pairing?

Later that day, Kirito and Asuna are heading of to Agil's bar, with Suguha tagging along. It turns out that Suguha is familiar with Agil in ALO but not in reality. The bar itself is closed for a pizza party, but not just any pizza party! It's a hero party for Kirito, held by all his friends from SAO to thank him for beating Kayaba!

So everybody celebrates, and Kirito and Klein settle down for a drink (oolong for Kirito, real booze for Klein). Things seem to have gone well for the survivors, but more importantly, MMOs have changed for the better! The World Seed that Ghost Kayaba gave Kirito was basically a sandbox program that anyone can use to create their own games. It was released by Agil online, free for anyone to use. Even ALO was relaunched, hopefully minus the unwinnable scam part.

[Believe me, winning is serious business among MMO players.]

The party isn't over yet, though, as the SAO survivors are planning to meet up later that night in ALO. However, Suguha seems to feel left out, and later in ALO, she finds herself alone as she attempts to break the altitude limit. She fails, there's BOOOOOOBS, and as she plummets, she thinks about Kirito's friends. Before she can become a virtual pancake, Kirito catches her in his arms. The incest subplot is over, Show. You can stop it.

Suguha wonders why Kirito isn't using his old avatar like the rest of his friends are now that that's a thing that happened. Kirito answers that it's because that the mission of that version of his is done, and that would have been really profound except that [refer to previous reference to Kirito's lack of intelligence]. Then Suguha and Kirito dance above the clouds (STOOOOOOOP IIIIIITTTTT), when suddenly, the former decides to go back and log out, feeling lonely and alienated from her brother's circle. But Kirito won't have any of that, and he takes Suguha to the World Tree just as eleven o'clock chimes.

Turns out that's when Aincrad's fortress is added to ALO. Kirito plans to complete Aincrad all the way through minus his stats, then invites Suguha to play. She accepts, and then nearly everyone from the "Aincrad" and "Fairy Dance" arcs comes to join our heroes. And so the first season of the incredibly divisive Sword Art Online comes to a close as the cast goes off to play together. The End.

So..."Fairy Dance" sucked. A lot. Like, you can hardly find anyone, fan or hater, who would disagree. I'll give "Aincrad" this; it actually felt like these people cared about the show. "Fairy Dance" is stupid and awful and I hate every fiber of it's being. What can I add that hasn't been said already? I'll give it credit that this awful arc forced me to appreciate the previous one because at least there was stuff in it that worked. I knew it was bad going in, but I didn't know it would be THAT horrifically written. I would never have predicted how dumb and poorly plotted "Fairy Dance" could be, even as I pointed out how many of the problems weren't exclusive to that arc. I am glad that I will never have to watch this show (or at the least, the first season) ever again.

But what do I think about that first season overall? Well...I'll have to write a separate post on that.

FINAL COUNTS:

It's All The Same To Me: 14

Next Time:

2016 Summation: 12/31/2016
SAO Final Thoughts: 1/1/2017
Code Geass Recap Episode One: February 2017
Ouran Recap Episode Five: February 2017
SAO Analysis Post: January 2017

Here's your last chance to vote for the next Akane Analyzes Post! Here are your three options:

* When Did SAO Jump The Shark?
* How to Build A Better Protagonist (starring Kazuto Kirigaya and Yuuri Katsuki)
* SAO Has a Heroine Problem

I'll announce the winner after my final thoughts of the series in question! See you tomorrow!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:52 am Reply with quote
The protagonist one.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Thoughts on 2016

Remember how last year, I said that 2015 was personally an awful year? I'm sorry, 2015. I should have been so much more grateful for your existence. At the very least, there weren't memes about how horrible 2015 was.

Yeah, 2016 suuuuuuucked. Maybe not entirely, since I can name a few good things that happened to me. But in general? I am so glad that this year is about to be over. There were the deaths of beloved celebrities, natural disasters, messy politics, and of course, a lot of personal tragedies. This year, I had to say goodbye to some good friends (and a friendly neighborhood cat) when I moved back to the States, and then the city I moved from caught on fire over Thanksgiving. I struggled with depression and anxiety, and as a result, I wasn't able to watch as much anime as I wanted. Worst of all, my little brother had to be readmitted to the children's psychiatric ward earlier this year, and we believe he was misdiagnosed AGAIN.

But I guess this year could have been worse. I finally went back to the States and am doing fine. I finished school this year and am currently looking for a steady job. Personally, I managed to complete Sword Art Online as a rite of passage, and am looking forward to seeing what else anime has to offer in 2017.

So, that's about it. This year was awful. But there's a lot to look forward to fandom-wise in 2017. Here's to another year of great anime!

[Now, who's excited for NDRV3?]
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Sorry to hear of your personal woes, Akane. It is fair to say that anime, and the wider community surrounding it, has been of some help over the last year amidst wider turbulence. Congratulations for completing Sword Art Online though!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
* When Did SAO Jump The Shark?

This one.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Sorry to hear about your personal worries. 2016 was also a worse year for me than 2015. That year though was relatively great for me. Overall, though in 2016 I think I watched more great stuff than in 2015, while 2015 was the manga year of my life, when I read over 400 volumes of manga. Best thing I watched in 2016 were the 148 episodes of Hunter X Hunter (2012) while in 2016 I also managed to read Ashita no Joe which I regard as the greatest masterpiece of manga/anime I ever experienced.

But congrats for dissecting SAO, I myself managed to finish it for the sake of finishing it essentially as the fairy arc was just goodawful bad.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Final Thoughts on Sword Art Online Season One

On the Final Episode of SAO 1:

Kirito: I must meet Asuna!
Dan Backslide: Not. So. Fast.
Kirito: My hand!
Dan Backslide: I'm going to f**king kill you, you little piece of sh*t.
Kirito: Because you're evil?
Dan Backslide: BECAUSE YOU SCREWED UP MY FACE YOU TWIT.
Kirito: ...Oh.
They fight.
Kirito: Move and I'll slit your throat.
Dan Backslide: No! Anything but that!
Kirito: ...You're right. Princess Bride ending it is. MY LOVE!
Inside the hospital...
Asuna: Kirito!
Kirito: Asuna!
Asuna: Kirito!
Kirito: Asuna!
Asuna: Kiri-
Kirito: I think we're overdoing it.
Asuna: Yeah.
The next spring.
Kirito: Time for lunch!
Asuna: I made you your favorite, Kazuto!
Kirito: SANDWICHES! F**K YEAH!
Asuna: So did you know my dad retired?
Kirito: Did you know that your creepy stalker's in jail and everyone's free now and Kayaba's really dead?
Asuna: I'm not stupid, honey.
Kirito: Oh yeah.
In the cafeteria!
Lisbeth: Truly a better love story than Twilight.
Silica: Anything's a better love story than Twilight.
Lisbeth: Good point. Ready for the party tonight?
Silica: Hell yeah!
Later...
Kirito: So Suguha, Agil and I were...what's this?
Everyone: HAPPY BIRTHDAY, KIRITO!
Kirito: But it's not my birthday.
One celebration later...
Kirito: So how's the MMO business going?
Agil: Swimmingly! Let's meet in the new scam-free ALO tonight!
Kirito: YAY!
In the new scam-free ALO...
Suguha: Flying is fun!
Kirito: But do you know what's also fun?
Suguha: What?
Kirito: Playing with your friends!
Suguha: Oh boy! Let's go on adventure!
Kirito: Without any casualties this time!
Everyone: Hip Hip Hooray!
THE END

Sword Art Online is...an experience. Sure, it's not always a GOOD experience, but it is certainly a wild ride. Whether you love it or hate it, you can't describe the overall product as being boring. Enraging sometimes, facepalm-inducing, with an occasional good idea or likable character, the first season of the hit series provoked a lot of emotions in me during my several months recapping each episode, both times I saw them. Yes, I actually had to watch each episode TWICE; the first time to get a general impression and the second time while I'm writing the review. This was not always a fun thing for me to do, but then again, neither was watching this anime. Here's why.

The Plot

Describing the plots of the Aincrad arc and Fairy Dance arc is like playing a game of Would You Rather. In this case, would I rather have a bunch of meandering plotlets in lieu of a unifying story, or would I rather have a concrete plot that's built on contrivances and supreme idiocy? What frustrated me most about "Aincrad" was the awful pacing and overall directionlessness of the entire story. The first few episodes reek of "let's skip all the boring parts and get to the stuff we want to write", which should be very familiar with those who've read or written enough amateur fiction like I have. Keep in mind that the first arc takes place a little over a two year timeline, about half of which is covered by the end of Episode THREE. (For the record, I am NEVER letting it down.)

Fairy Dance may have an (almost) complete plotline, but the bad news is that everyone in it- from the heroes to the villains to everyone in between- is a complete idiot. Kirito is an idiot for using his SAO identity and not recognizing the sound of his own sister's voice the minute he met her in ALO, and that's not even getting into the other stupid things he did along the way. Suguha is an idiot for not seeing through her own brother's paper-thin disguise the moment SHE met him in ALO. Sugou and pals are idiots for thinking they could get away with creating a video game that can't be won. Most importantly, the writers are idiots for thinking the audience would buy any of the garbage they spewed onto them.

Between the two, I personally think the Aincrad arc was far better than the Fairy Dance arc could ever be. Sure, the former was made up of a bunch of loosely-stringed together plotlets with little to no cohesion, but it wasn't insultingly pandering like the latter. The first arc had a lot of effort and love breathed into it, and even if I felt there were more misses and hits, I can never fault "Aincrad" for trying. There were legitimately things I liked in it, and if the writers behind it put in a bit more thought, it could have been solid.

The Protagonists

Pop quiz! Only three out of about a dozen or so characters are established in the very first episode. Which one gets the most characterization? Is it:

A) Kazuto "Kirito" Kirigaya- the protagonist
B) Ryotaro "Klein" Tsuboi- a side character, or
C) Akihiko "Heathcliff" Kayaba- the main antagonist

If you guessed "B", congratulations, you've been keeping up with my recaps! It's kind of sad that Klein of all people gets his personality established more than the main freaking character. Throughout the first episode, the only thing I knew about Kirito was that he liked video games and he knew a lot about this particular video game. Other than that, Kirito is one of the most bland and generic protagonists I've seen in quite a while.

What really bugged me is that Kirito was surrounded by people with actual interesting personalities, and yet the story was far more intrigued by what HE was going through. Sometimes he's an inoffensive nice guy, sometimes he's a whiny ~dark and tortured~ vigilante, sometimes he's a huge a**hole who I want to smack in the face, and I wouldn't mind so much if not for the fact that he doesn't have a real character arc you can map out. There was little to no consistency between one uninteresting archetype to the next, and by the end of the day, Kirito has not gone through any real change. This is mostly because the story won't let him change, and instead seems to be more concerned over his love life. I plan on writing a full essay on why I don't think Kirito is an effective protagonist, but to sum it up, I never felt the story gave me a legitimate reason to give a f**k about him.

Asuna and Suguha provide yet another example of "Would You Rather"? Would I rather have a fierce and feisty woman who's character is gradually tortured and derailed into a domestic doting damsel as soon as she meets her Man, or would I rather have a kind but firm girl who's entire arc revolves around men from the beginning and doesn't really have a point? I liked both Asuna and Suguha, but I hated what the story chose to do with them. Asuna's arc culminates in her becoming Kirito's official girlfriend, and as soon they get together, she devolves into a submissive waifu with little to no life outside of Kirito. Suguha, meanwhile, existed to get as much money from the little sister fetishists, and as likable as she is, this was not the right story for her. As soon as her older brother steps into the picture, she becomes a mopey man-dependent moron who has no aspirations outside of getting into his pants.

The Antagonists

Time for one final round of "Would You Rather"! Would you rather have a potentially interesting villain who, alas, was underused and had little to no motivation or even backstory explaining why anything he did happened, or would you rather have a villain with only the most cliche motives and plans, along with some of the most unnecessarily over-the-top evilness you'll see in a while? That's Kayaba and Sugou in a nutshell. Neither of them really worked as effective antagonists in the long run.

Honestly, I think there was a lot of things you could have done with Kayaba. In the final episode of the Aincrad arc, we get...kind of an explanation on why the story happened. There, Kayaba tells our heroes about how he made Aincrad from his own imagination. Okay, but why did he choose to imprison ten thousand players in his own world, thus responsible for the death of over half of them? Who the f**k knows! How much of Heathcliff was an act and how much wasn't? Who the f**k knows! There's a really great character buried underneath there, but the story doesn't do anything with him because we barely got to know the man himself!

Sugou is just plain awful. "Fairy Dance" is under the delusion that the more evil it can make the antagonist, the better a villain he'll be. That is demonstrably false in Sugou's case. He's smug as a snake and happily brags about how Evil his plans are, but there's little to back up his smugness and no reason to enjoy it. It isn't until the end that Sugou becomes threatening, but by then, it's too little, too late. The final battle in ALO between him and Kirito was especially pathetic because I couldn't care about either opponent. In the end, the show didn't offer much with either antagonist, and that's sad.

Supporting Characters

I actually liked a lot of these side characters. Many of them were enjoyable to watch and I loved seeing them onscreen with their sympathetic personalities. There were others I didn't particularly care for, but they really weren't there much. Let's have a rundown of the most important ones.

* Klein: Fun and boisterous, but could have used more screentime and standout moments.

* Agil: Also fun, but more often felt like he existed to prop up the main characters rather than stand alone.

* The Black Cats: Interesting ideas, but the rushed pacing of the third episode means little to no development for any of them, especially for Keita and Sachi.

* Silica: Cute while also being bad*ss, but needed more of a point.

* Lisbeth: Easily one of my favorites, but doesn't do much other than hand the main character a sword and fall in love with him despite having little to no reason for it.

* Yui: Sympathetic backstory and one of the best characters, but really should have been killed off for real all the way back in "Aincrad".

* Recon: Sweet and loyal while occassionally needy and a bit annoying, but could have used more screentime and character development.

Notice a particular pattern? While I do like these characters a lot, it felt like the story did not share the same sentiments. The supporting characters are either underutilized or overused, and neither is a good thing. These people are easily my favorite thing about this series, so it saddens when I think about how poorly-handled a lot of them were. Klein deserves his own spinoff. Lisbeth deserves her own spinoff. Most of them deserve their own spinoffs, actually.

The Technicals

Now we're talking! If there was one thing consistently good about this series, it was the production values. The artwork is crisp and clean with beautiful backgrounds and creativity in regards to the design of the world. The animation, especially during the action scenes, is sublime, and while the character designs do suffer from sameface, they are at the very least presentable. A-1 Pictures is quickly becoming one of my favorite studios, and their work on this anime (and Your Lie In April) is why.

Musically, this is not one of Yuki Kajiura's better soundtracks. That's not to say that it was bad, far from it. Kajiura is a brilliant composer, but the OST does not have many standalone singles. Easily the standouts of the score are "swordland" (to the point where Fairy Dance used it to death), "luminous sword", and "we have to defeat it". Just listen to those songs and ignore the rest.

The voice acting in English is great. Alex von David is one of the most underrated ADR directors in the dub industry, and this here is one of his best. This dub also showcases one of Bryce Papenbrook's best performances as Kirito, and despite how little I personally cared about the character himself, Bryce is just wonderful. Other standouts include Xanthe Huynh as bit character Sachi, Cherami Leigh as lead heroine Asuna, Kirk Thornton as everyone's favorite bro Klein, and Cassandra Lee as Suguha and her alter ego Leafa. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the dub, so check it out if you're interested.

Overall Thoughts

Sword Art Online should have been a better show. Does that mean I hate it or regret watching it? Of course not! Although I did get frustrated at times, there were interesting concepts and characters buried underneath mediocrity and a few occasional stupid decisions. No, when I think about this series, I'm disappointed more than anything. I wanted to like this show in spite of the criticism I heard about it, and yeah, I did enjoy parts of it. It's just there needed to be a bit more polish and cleanup to make the entire product work.

Some of you may accuse this series as being a wish fulfillment Gary Stu story straight from fanfiction.net. While I do sympathize and agree there are some elements of [insert viewer here] scattered throughout the first season, I'm going to be deviating a bit from popular opinion. I don't think this story was intentionally written to be a pure power fantasy. I honestly believe this was a sincere effort to write a good story. The problem is that it has the unmistakable feel of being written by an amateur who's a huge fan of fantasy and science, and while he does have a lot of talent, he lacks the skill or understanding of the genre acquired to pulling off his vision. Believe me, I used to make terrible Sonic the Hedgehog fanfiction in middle school. I know this sort of writing when I see it.

You might be wondering what I think about Reki Kawahara and his other works. Personally, I have nothing against Kawahara himself. I don't think he's a bad person, and I went out of my way not to mention him at all during the recaps. Heck, I've heard better things about his work on Accel World and even some of the later arcs of SAO. I'd like to check out both and see if he's improved on his craft. I'd be pleasantly surprised if things have gotten better.

Well, those are my thoughts on Sword Art Online's first season. Now that you've reached the end, I bet you all want to know what I'm analyzing next! Well...it's a tie between "Jumping the Shark" and "How to Build a Better Protag", so here's what I'm going to do! I'm doing all three analysis posts over the course of January! My first essay will be "Jumping the Shark", coming out hopefully soon! I'll see you guys then!

Note: This post has been edited to include thoughts on the soundtrack and the wish-fulfillment elements. Sorry for the inconvenience! m(_ _)m

Last edited by Akane the Catgirl on Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:56 am; edited 1 time in total
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:51 pm Reply with quote
I totally agree with you on Yui! A lot of anime (manga, light novels, etc.) have this issue where they put a character out of commission either by death or some other means, but when they turn out to have survived or come back some how, the anime doesn't know what to do with them. All their coming back does is cheapen their death scene and reaffirm that the creator is afraid of taking narrative risks. I don't think I'm alone in saying that Lisanna from Fairy Tail was a better character when we all thought she was dead. When she comes back from Edolas, Lisanna does nothing major except... exist. She lightens the pain that strengthened Elfman and Mirajane as characters and removes their emotional scars completely.

If Yui died for real, it would have been great for giving Kirito a chance to get angry at himself, despair for his inability to change things despite his strength, and come to terms with the fact that he can't save everyone, even if it's someone as innocent and sweet as Yui. This could have been Sword Art Online's big Nina Tucker event. But instead... it's another copout to show that Kirito and Asuna's love is the most loving love that ever loved.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:06 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
If Yui died for real, it would have been great for giving Kirito a chance to get angry at himself, despair for his inability to change things despite his strength, and come to terms with the fact that he can't save everyone, even if it's someone as innocent and sweet as Yui.

But this was already done with Sachi though....so doing it again with Yui would just be redundant?

Quote:
* Lisbeth: Easily one of my favorites, but doesn't do much other than hand the main character a sword and fall in love with him despite having little to no reason for it.

Saving someone's life and protecting and comforting her the whole time they're together = "little to no reason to fall in love" ????

...........................ok. Not to be rude but....I think you should think about that one a little more carefully......that reason is as good as any for a teenaged girl.
I mean, shoujo heroines might fall for a guy just because he gives her his jacket when she's cold, for crying out loud... Laughing
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:01 am Reply with quote
@louis6578

I'm going to have to agree with Chiibi to a point here. I felt there were plenty of opportunities for Kirito to have a Nina Tucker moment, and Sachi was one of those I had in mind. However, I still think Yui needed to die permanently in Aincrad. I'm planning on doing a full rewrite, and I'm personally thinking about keeping Yui for more episodes and having HER do the sacrifice during Kirito and Kayaba's duel rather than Asuna. It'd have more of an impact AND remove the Deus ex Machina plothole.

@Chiibi

Yes, Kirito did save Lisbeth's life and comfort her while they were in the hole...after being a complete jerk towards her. He breaks her MASTERPIECE into itty bitty pieces and doesn't seem to care too much, admits that he thought said sword was lame, is sarcastic and rude, condescending when Lisbeth insists on getting the metal for his new sword herself, and is overall just awful. Most of the time, Kirito is just sort of generically nice, but in this episode, he was firmly holding onto the jerkass ball and I hated every minute of his cockiness. GOD I HATE COCKY KIRITO.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:30 am Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:

@Chiibi

Yes, Kirito did save Lisbeth's life and comfort her while they were in the hole...after being a complete jerk towards her. He breaks her MASTERPIECE into itty bitty pieces and doesn't seem to care too much, admits that he thought said sword was lame, is sarcastic and rude, condescending when Lisbeth insists on getting the metal for his new sword herself, and is overall just awful. Most of the time, Kirito is just sort of generically nice, but in this episode, he was firmly holding onto the jerkass ball and I hated every minute of his cockiness. GOD I HATE COCKY KIRITO.

So saving someone's life while risking your own to do it should make up for that other stuff. I wonder if the dub plays up his jerkiness more....cause he wasn't that bad in the sub that I can remember. Anyway, it's childish jerkiness; not like the kind that is unforgivable jerkiness.

I ♥ Cocky Kirito. Very Happy (in the sub at least) Maybe Bryce is more annoying than Matsuoka....I don't really know. I just know I prefer the latter to play him.
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
@louis6578

I'm going to have to agree with Chiibi to a point here. I felt there were plenty of opportunities for Kirito to have a Nina Tucker moment, and Sachi was one of those I had in mind. However, I still think Yui needed to die permanently in Aincrad. I'm planning on doing a full rewrite, and I'm personally thinking about keeping Yui for more episodes and having HER do the sacrifice during Kirito and Kayaba's duel rather than Asuna. It'd have more of an impact AND remove the Deus ex Machina plothole.

Ah, but you forget one thing. I AM ALWAYS RIGHT AND ANYONE WHO DISAGREES WITH ME IS WRONG! BWAHAHAHAHA!

Ah, but seriously, on further examination, I guess you're right. Sachi was that character to Kirito, even though I personally think that such a character should have been someone that the audience also felt attached to, like Yui would have been. I like your idea better though. Have Yui be a sort of glitch in the system that helps Kirito out of death at the cost of her own existence. Like what Kimblee did for Edward in his fight against Pride near the end of Brotherhood. It would have been cool and sweet at the same time. Even for someone like me who thinks all the characters are bad or missing out of their potential. Plus it would have been better this way since Yui is functionally useless in the subsequent arcs and only exists to help the characters CHEAT or to spout exposition.

I think your rewrite is a great idea. I'd also suggest giving Kirito a more defined personality. He feels like three different archetypes fighting for control of one body.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Why I Haven't Been Putting Up Any New Content

Hey, everybody. You're probably wondering why I haven't put up any of my promised analysis posts of Sword Art Online. Trust me, I've been trying to finish them all this time. There's just been a few...circumstances that keep getting in the way. Honestly, I've been having really bad luck these days. Here's what's been going on in reality.

1. My sister's been visiting from college, and me and my family have been spending a lot of time doing things together. Her visit ended just this morning, so that should give me more time.

2. General mental health issues.

3. I got a really bad toothache and ear problems that have been keeping me up at night, and yes, I'm planning on making a dentist appointment. (One of the few times I actually look FORWARD to seeing one)

4. Oh, and trying to finish Your Lie in April while keeping up with NDRV3 streams.

So, that should explain a lot. I'll try to get my "Jumping the Shark" post out this week, and if I don't, I apologize in advance. I'll see you next time, hopefully with what I promised you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 20 of 32