• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Akane Analyzes (Spoilerific).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:48 am Reply with quote
The little princess from R2? Funny. I only really remember XINGKE!!!!
jroa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:22 am Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
Some behind-the-scenes trivia for you: on the commentary tracks, the staff teased plans to have the deceased Naoto Kozuki play a part in the story. Then plans for the second season changed. Guess what it leads up to in the final product?

Like a few fans, I think you're being quite liberal with this interpretation of their words and intent. The staff joked about Naoto's fate on that one Code Geass S1 commentary track but they didn't say anything definitive either way.

I wouldn't even dare to call it a tease. Especially considering that the actual content of the first season never reflected any teasing or even foreshadowing regarding him. It's almost impossible to say whether or not his return from the dead was ever seriously considered, because the story always treats him as deceased.

Now, I could go ahead and complicate the issue by talking about obscure spin-off works made many years after the end of the series, but I really should stop myself here.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:59 am Reply with quote
@jroa

Thanks for your input, jroa! Admittedly, a lot of my research comes from scouring the internet (and by that, I mean Wikipedia and Tv Tropes), so some information may be inaccurate. There's still plenty of more fun facts to be shared (for example, did you know Lelouch was drawn and colored to be more like one of his big inspirations, Char Aznabel from the original Gundam anime?)

@ Chiibi and louis6578

Oh boy...the China arc. On my first watch, I found it incredibly boring and a waste of time. Especially Xingke. You thought I was hard on Kirito? The only thing interesting about Xingke is his voice actor on either side of the Pacific (Heero Yuy in Japanese, Senketsu and the narrator of Jojo's in English).
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:10 am Reply with quote
Well, the only things I remember about him: the long black hair and not wanting him to die for the princess's sake. Anime hyper I thought their relationship was cute.

Literally, I can't recall anything else. Not about the arc's plot, not the battle, nothing. But Code Geass was a somewhat difficult show for me to follow. At least back then.

So, if you want to trash him, I got nothin. :'D
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
@jroa

Thanks for your input, jroa! Admittedly, a lot of my research comes from scouring the internet (and by that, I mean Wikipedia and Tv Tropes), so some information may be inaccurate. There's still plenty of more fun facts to be shared (for example, did you know Lelouch was drawn and colored to be more like one of his big inspirations, Char Aznabel from the original Gundam anime?)

@ Chiibi and louis6578

Oh boy...the China arc. On my first watch, I found it incredibly boring and a waste of time. Especially Xingke. You thought I was hard on Kirito? The only thing interesting about Xingke is his voice actor on either side of the Pacific (Heero Yuy in Japanese, Senketsu and the narrator of Jojo's in English).

Filthy mongrel! You dare make light of his most iconic role!? Don't forget your place, peasant! You disgrace the name of the King of Heroes with your ignorance!
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:32 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
@jroa

@ Chiibi and louis6578

Filthy mongrel! You dare make light of his most iconic role!? Don't forget your place, peasant! You disgrace the name of the King of Heroes with your ignorance!

Well, technically, he was Voice Number Two. Grant George was Gilgamesh in the first TV series and the Unlimited Blade Works movie before the Great Recasting of 2013, when it came time to dub Fate zero. David Vincent, previously Assassin, took over the role of Gilgamesh from George, who was cast as Lancer. And knowing is half the battle!
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:56 pm Reply with quote
^

I know all that, but the dub for 2006 wasn't nearly as memorable as the dubs of F/Z or UBW.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Akane Analyzes Presents: Akane's Top Ten Saddest Moments in Anime and Manga

Hello and welcome to Akane Analyzes! I must confess that I cry at the weirdest sh*t. I'm serious; I tend to bawl at the most random moments. For example, I saw Tim Burton's original Frankenweenie live-action short when I was about ten or eleven and couldn't stop crying afterwards. (Though it may be because I had dogs and had already dealt with the death of one a couple of years earlier). You must be curious about which anime got me to tear up, right? Here's my list.

Now, a few things before we get started; the only entries on this list are from things I have seen personally. That means nothing from Key Visual Arts, because while I have seen clips such as the death scene from AIR, I cannot include it since I have not seen the show itself. With all that said, let's go. In no particular order:

1. Sailor Moon- The Season One Finale

This is the one I am most embarrassed to admit I cried at. I mean, it's just a kid's show, right? Well, I had gotten very attached to the Sailor Guardians by the time sh*t went down. Watching these girls- this band of sisters- die in the most horrific ways as humanly possible was heart-wrenching. It's worse if you know that this was where Naoko Takeuchi intended to end the series, but kept going due to popular demand. That's right- the girls were going to be permanently killed off. And speaking of magical girls dying...

2. Madoka Magica- Assisted Suicide

There where I few moments I had in mind for this entry. I could have picked the fourth episode that dealth with the aftermath of Mami's death. I could have goine with the final episode, where Madoka saves all the magical girls before they can become witches. The latter was disqualified because the tears I had were those of joy, and I personally found this moment much sadder than the fourth episode. Madoka and Homura have defeaten Walpurgisnacht, but at a terrible price. Both need a Grief Seed to prevent becoming Witches, and Madoka gives the last one to Homura. Knowing there's not much time, Homura shoots Madoka's soul gem, screaming in agony. What's worse is that this very act is what led to Homura's personality changing from shrinking violet to hardened soldier.

3. Attack on Titan- Episode 22

This is one of the most depressing episodes from a series that can be retitled "Blue Screen of Death". Most of this episode is dedicated to the sobering aftermath of the doomed 57th expedition. The mood is somber and gray, as our heroes return home with more corpses than people. You truly feel the hopelessness and low morale amongst the Survey Corps, as well as the grief and pain. The saddest moment of all may be from the family members of Levi's squad looking forward to their return. They still don't know that their loved ones died fighting the Female Titan. It's one of the best episodes, but also one of the most depressing.

4. Cowboy Bebop- Edward and Ein Leave

Edward is my favorite character from this show. She's spunky, she's kooky, but she's also the heart of the Bebop crew. In this episode Edward meets up again with her just-as-strange father, who is traveling the wrecked Earth to map out the damage. She decides to pursue him, which means leaving the Bebop crew for good. True to her spontaneous nature, she announces her leaving by painting a smiley face and the words "Bye Bye" on the deck of the Bebop. It's the perfect send-off for one of my favorite comic relief characters in anime.

5. Wolf's Rain- Toboe's Death

Like the above entry, Toboe was my favorite member of the cast, albeit for different reasons. He is the runt of the litter, always optimistic and cheerful. He's even nice to Quent Yaiden, a man who's made it his life's mission to kill him and the other wolves. During the four-part OVA finale, Toboe sacrifices himself to save Quent, but to no avail. The saddest part is when he dreams of reuniting with his deceased owner, whom we've learned he accidentally killed. I bawled like a baby over his death, and considering this is a story about the apocalypse, it had tough competition.

6. Welcome to the NHK- The Last Five Episodes

This series can be summed up as "Anxietes of a Twenty-Something". It's a black comedy about a bunch of young adult losers...until the last five episodes, when it drops the comedy part altogether. We the viewers are left with a depressing reality, as Satou is forced to get a job and Yamazaki moves back to his family's farm. The worst part is discovering why Misaki chose Satou in the first place, as well as her subsequent suicide attempt when he rejects her.

7. The Girl Who Leapt Through Time- Chiaki's Goodbye

"WHAT!? Why not Wolf Children!?" You must be saying right now. I have two reasons- first, I've only seen that movie once. The second is that I knew going in that the Wolf Man was going to die. Having seen this movie twice and without knowing the major twists, the reveal of Chiaki being from the future and having to leave left me shocked. During the scene where time stops, I could not stop crying. Kind of like Makoto, actually.

8. Your Lie in April- The Tragedy of Saki Arima

I picked this one over Kaori's death because come on, I need to shake things up. One of my favorite villain archetypes is that of the tragic villain- the one who only realizes they screwed up when it's too late to fix anything they ruined. For example, Lord Darcia from Wolf's Rain and arguably Light Yagami from Death Note are characters who cause their own demises, but on some level, you do feel sympathy. The same goes for Saki Arima, Kousei's deceased mother. Once upon a time, Saki was a loving parent to her piano prodigy. That is, until she was diagnosed with a terminal illness. As her health detoriates, so does her sanity, as she grows increasingly abusive towards her son. Towards the end of her life, Kousei calls her out on her Stage Mom behavior. That is the last time they see each other before Saki dies, and only when she's on her death bed does she realize how badly she treated her child.

9. Black Jack- Dr. Honma Passes Away

Here's an old-school tearjerker for you! In this story, our main character Black Jack goes to visit his dying mentor, Dr. Jotaro Honma. The old man reveals that while operating on Black Jack, he accidentally left a scalpel inside his body. Years later, he found that the scalpel had calcified, but still quit his job anyway out of guilt. At the end, Honma succumbs to old age, and despite his student's best efforts, he dies. It's one of many crushing moments, but this is the most tearjerking.

10. Flowers of Evil- Double Suicide Attempt

Now, for those of you who only saw the anime, this scene only happened in the manga. In it, Sawa Nakamura and Takao Kasuga have entered a self-destructive and toxic relationship with each other. They originally plan to disrupt the summer festival by displaying the stolen panties of their female classmates, but as time goes on, they chose a worse plan. The two instead decide to commit double suicide in front of their entire town, more specifically by immolating themselves. At the last minute, however, Nakamura pushes Kasuga off the stage in a rare moment of selflessness. Thank God neither of them died.

And those were my personal ten sad moments in anime and manga. I understand that some of you have your own tearjerkers, and that's fine! Variety is the spice of life, after all. I may even do another Top Ten sometime in the future. What moments in anime made you cry? Let me know in the comments!

NEXT TIME:

Recapping will return next week. In addition, I'd like to ask the most important question; why is the imouto genre so popular? I can think of a few reasons, and some of them you may have never heard of. See you soon!
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Lemme give my personal opinion on each of these moments real quick! Very Happy

1. Sailor Moon season finale - Wish this was one of my first anime, but I only saw it with the Viz Redub a few years back. It was still powerful and beautiful, but without the personal connection (which was somewhat there, admittedly) and with the nagging voice telling me that these deaths were absolutely not permanent, I didn't cry. I felt emotional though. It's definitely a great moment that pushed the boundaries of being a fluffy, optimistic kids show. By the time I watched this, I had already seen Princess Tutu, Utena, and the certain other dark magical girl show that is further down the list, but this scene was probably my favorite from any of the three seasons that I've seen so far (halfway through Sailor Moon Super).

2. Assisted Suicide - Despite not caring much for the show personally, the final three episodes are the exception for me. Everything from Homura's backstory to the end felt miles ahead of the story until that point, but the scene where Madoka asked Homura to kill her in order to prevent her from becoming a witch was impactful. Especially since Homura could have just ignored her and reset time again. The fact that she chose not to do so speaks miles about her care for Madoka, and this is almost certainly what killed her Moemura personality. I totally agree with this moment being the best in terms of emotional response, sans the episode 12 climax of course.

3. Attack on Titan Episode 22 - This was also a good moment. Not much to add from what you said, though I personally was more devestated by Eren's mom being killed right in front of him. It was a great moment, and despite not knowing her as well as Levi's squad, I feel it really gets us into the head of Eren and helps us understand why he feels such an obligation to fight the titans.

4. Ed and Ein leave - Probably my favorite moment in the entire show, honestly.

5. Toboe's Death - Totally. Saddest thing in the show. And this is a show where everyone dies! This was probably the only death in the entire show that made me genuinely shed a tear.

6. I didn't even think about this one, but holy crap! It was so true to life! I gotta fix it into my own top tearjerkers somewhere.

7. Eh... rewatch Wolf Children. Honestly, Wolf Man's death isn't the tearjerker moment of the movie. Maybe I need to rewatch The Girl Who Leapt Through Time though. I don't remember any moment making me particularly sad, despite remembering that moment pretty clearly. Maybe it's because Mamoru Hosoda is like Japanese Disney and I knew not to expect much in the way of permanent death between protagonists or their young friends (both the Wolf Man and EPIC GRANDMA were supporting characters). Dammit! Why can't I be less jaded! I wanna wipe my memories of all anime I saw before and rewatch them for the first time all over again.

8. Honestly, this was sadder than Kaori's death.

9. This belongs here somewhere, but if we're going with manga tearjerkers, my list would be entirely full with Gash Bell.

10. When are we getting a proper anime of this anyway? Neutral That rotoscoped nightmare made me wanna run away.
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:19 pm Reply with quote
For me, in no particular order and without in-depth explanations due to having to leave in 10 minutes...

1. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Battle Tendency - Caesar's death + Joseph and Lisa Lisa coming to the conclusion of his death. (HM to Jonathan's death as a very close second, and Iggy's death in Part 3).

2. One Piece: Enies Lobby Arc - Robin's backstory. (HM to EVERYONE's backstory, especially Law's, Going Merry's death, and Ace's death)

3. Naruto - Gaara's Backstory (HM to Pain's Backstory, Itachi slaughtering the Uchiha clan when told from his POV, Jiraiya's Death, and Obito's backstory)

4. Yu Yu Hakusho - Genkai's Death + Yusuke mourning afterwards (HM to Hiei's backstory, Kuwabara's "death," Yusuke's second death, and Yusuke's wake)
Note: Yusuke's second death and the moments with Kuwabara leading up to it make it a VERY close second, as both are kind of undone by the lack of permanence in their deaths.

5. Fate/Zero - Kiritsugu's final conversation with Natalia to his breakdown afterwards (HM to Lancer's death, Rider's death, and Kariya's mere existence)

6. Berserk - Griffith's failed suicide (HM to his subsequent betrayal and Guts' backstory)

7. FMA 2003 - Hughes' death + funeral (HM to Nina Tucker's... thing)

8. Gash Bell - Kid's book burning (HM to every good demon child's book burning, ESPECIALLY anyone who made it to the top 10 of the manga. Hell, they'd probably take the spot if I wasn't only counting anime moments)

9. Anohana - Menma's goodbye

10. Steins;Gate - Basically everything from the moment Okabe realizes what he has to do to save Mayuri to Kurisu making the decision for him.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 3:12 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
7. Eh... rewatch Wolf Children. Honestly, Wolf Man's death isn't the tearjerker moment of the movie. Maybe I need to rewatch The Girl Who Leapt Through Time though. I don't remember any moment making me particularly sad, despite remembering that moment pretty clearly. Maybe it's because Mamoru Hosoda is like Japanese Disney and I knew not to expect much in the way of permanent death between protagonists or their young friends (both the Wolf Man and EPIC GRANDMA were supporting characters). Dammit! Why can't I be less jaded! I wanna wipe my memories of all anime I saw before and rewatch them for the first time all over again.

I quite agree! As shocking as that scene may be, its occurrence is decidedly part of the film's premise rather than a revelation to be relegated to the territory of spoilers. What made Wolf Children such an emotionally rousing piece lay in its many joyous moments—chiefly moments of fleeting bliss (such as the courting scenes or the run through the forest) or of self-acceptance and validation (such as the superbly-shot classroom confession during the storm).

If I may posit, occasions of a positive valence have a greater capacity to elicit tears than any grave happenings, should a director be so equipped. An emotionally invested audience may be brought to a more muted state by the surprise of a calamity than to a lachrymose one. Scenes of radiating joy, conversely, are less difficult to process—perhaps we're simply more acquainted with them to the point that their merited reaction arises more readily.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Hi guys! So, the lesson here is that I need to watch Wolf Children again. Good thing it's on Funimation's website to stream! Thanks! In regards to louis's list, I have only seen half of those entries (1, 5, 6, 7, and 10). Here are my thoughts on those-

1- YES. When I eventually make another Top Ten Tearjerkers, I will definitely be adding Caesar's death to the list.

5- Personally, my saddest moment from that series is only one in hindsight. It's where Kiritsugu and Iri are playing with their daughter, Illya. Why's it sad? Because this is the last time little Illya sees her parents before they die. And no matter what the outcome of the fourth Grail War is, she's never going to see her mommy again.

6- Yes. The moment especially when Griffith is fantasizing about life with Casca. (THEY NAMED THEIR SON GUTS.)

7- Okay, this is a bit harder because I was spoiled heavily on Hughes' death. I need to watch that one again, and woops, Funimation doesn't have the license to either anime anymore. I will have to look elsewhere for the time being.

10- Uh-huh. That was one of the most gut-wreching moments in anime.

So, anyway, I hope to get the recap of Ouran's tenth episode up tomorrow. See you then!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Not making a list, but for me it would include Wolfwood's demise in Trigun, and especially Milly's reaction, 75% of Clannad After Story, which is probably the record holder for manipulative tear-jerking, about half the episodes of Natsume's Book of Friends, especially the fox-child ones, Hughes' funeral, the Maid's "I Am Human" speech in Maoyuu Maou Yuusha, and the last episode of Kino's Journey. It's hard to rank them or even know if they're really emotional, since I cry at the drop of a cliche. Like, even the silly ending of Weiß Kreuz Glühen required a few dabs.

HM to the understated death of the tribesman in Kingdom. While they're storming the castle, Shin is helping/dragging one of the mountain warriors to their next battle while telling him about his life and ambitions, asking him about his family. He eventually realizes the man has died along the way. There was something so moving about that scene that it really got to me. Maybe because for once he wasn't yelling. But it's probably one of the most memorable nameless cannon-fodder deaths I've ever seen.
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:12 pm Reply with quote
I guess my list would include stuff like Your lie in April, Major, Clannad After Story and others.

Tokyo Ravens had one that caught me off guard though.spoiler[ Unexpectedly, Natsume dies in Harutora's arms just as she confesses her love to him. Usually shows like that just mislead the viewer. Everyone knows that they aren't going to kill off the heroine, right? But it happened.]

Also Code Geass R2: spoiler[Shirley's death. Lelouch desperately trying to use his Geass to command Shirley not to die was tough to watch. Friggin' Rolo.]

Feels weird to use spoiler tags when no one else does, but I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I left those spoilers in plain view.
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
Hi guys! So, the lesson here is that I need to watch Wolf Children again. Good thing it's on Funimation's website to stream! Thanks! In regards to louis's list, I have only seen half of those entries (1, 5, 6, 7, and 10). Here are my thoughts on those-

1- YES. When I eventually make another Top Ten Tearjerkers, I will definitely be adding Caesar's death to the list.

5- Personally, my saddest moment from that series is only one in hindsight. It's where Kiritsugu and Iri are playing with their daughter, Illya. Why's it sad? Because this is the last time little Illya sees her parents before they die. And no matter what the outcome of the fourth Grail War is, she's never going to see her mommy again.

6- Yes. The moment especially when Griffith is fantasizing about life with Casca. (THEY NAMED THEIR SON GUTS.)

7- Okay, this is a bit harder because I was spoiled heavily on Hughes' death. I need to watch that one again, and woops, Funimation doesn't have the license to either anime anymore. I will have to look elsewhere for the time being.

10- Uh-huh. That was one of the most gut-wreching moments in anime.

So, anyway, I hope to get the recap of Ouran's tenth episode up tomorrow. See you then!

There are way too many. Like, if I want to make a proper list, I'll have to restrict myself to one decade at a time and add silly rules like, no movies or no OVAs or something.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 25 of 32