• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Video Game Girl Ai

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Solty Rei has been one of my most frequent rewatches since its original 2007 singles releases, and Gabriella lays out pretty well why I keep coming back to it.

Hyperdimension Neptunia, OTOH, I can't ever imagine having the impetus to rewatch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Going to definitely pick up Turn A Gundam's second volume as soon as I finish with the Sailor Moon R Blu-Ray.

Atelier Escha and Logy definitely requires some knowledge of the game to get into. It's not that you have to play and beat the whole thing (though the anime does spoil the final boss's identity very early, so I'd recommend playing it to completion). There seems to be a burning hatred for Logy among Atelier fans though, as if he shouldn't exist simply because he's a male alchemist and the series has primarily been about female leads. It's not like he steals the whole spotlight from Escha or anything, so I don't understand the irrational bitterness to his presence. And I'm talking about U.S. fans by the way, though the Japanese Atelier fans have actually reacted in much the same regard prior. The anime is a good watch if you really enjoyed the game.

I've had some interest in Solty Rei over the years, but just never got around to purchasing it. I've heard some good reviews about it, so I'll just need to slot that in on my "to watch" list.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Funimation's re-release of Solty Rei prompted me to rewatch the series a while back since I realized I had only watched it once several years ago. That isn't necessarily the most ringing endorsement, but I do recommend the series to anyone that is slightly curious.

I've always been curious about the Neptunia games, but never got up the motivation to play the, so the series seemed like a decent way to dabble in it without as much of a time commitment. I am curious about the games now, so if anybody has seen and played both, I'd like to know if the show is a fair representation of what is in the games.
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:55 pm Reply with quote
The review for Solty Rei seems to me to be much too positive to justify calling it a rental.
Not that I disagree with the review. Solty Rei is one of my all-time favorite shows.
I was disappointed to see the "Rental" rating, and then confused after reading the review.

This article has a lot of useful information for me about shows that I have not seen yet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Whis-pur

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:00 pm Reply with quote
I really got to start watching Space Brothers, I wanted to for so long now.

Okay, how is it possible that Ash looks younger in the recent pokemon series than when he first started out?
SpeckTech

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Melissa Fahn stands out as the perky heroine, Neptunia.

*facepalm*

also Neptune doesn't have an alternate dimension counterpart in the anime. Only in V-II. Plutia is an entirely separate character.

though for the over-exaggerations the franchise gets sometimes about being overly sexual and lewd when it's not, it's good to hear a someone being real about it instead of inciting witch hunts.
thenix

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:50 pm Reply with quote
I saw the first few episodes of Solty Rei and all I could think was it was trying really hard to be like Cowboy Bebop and failing (or not being as good as Cowboy Bebop, I can't really judge it on it's own merits) It made me want to stop watching though.
Tempest_Wing

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:51 pm Reply with quote
For anybody thinking of buying the Kotoura-San box set, I highly recommend you use rightstuf. You'd be paying around $4 more for a pointless magnet on NISA than you would on rightstuf.
Plasmaeclipse

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:

I've always been curious about the Neptunia games, but never got up the motivation to play the, so the series seemed like a decent way to dabble in it without as much of a time commitment. I am curious about the games now, so if anybody has seen and played both, I'd like to know if the show is a fair representation of what is in the games.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of the anime I found it really dumbed down the finer points of the game, including the best villain. It more or less replicated the more tasteless moments though, except the Pedo Lizard they thankfully only gave one episode for that f***er.

It's certainly a good preview for what to expect in the games but I do find the games have more poignant emotional moments compared to the anime. Fanservice is fairly the same level except the more tasteless elements like Iris Heart, offensively-flamboyant-but-not-actually-gay robot, and more Pedo Lizard that any game or anime should ever have ever. As a result of being longer there is obviously more of that s***. If you want a recommendation I would suggest Neptunia Re;Birth 1 it's the least offensive of the games and self contained.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
The review for Solty Rei seems to me to be much too positive to justify calling it a rental.
Not that I disagree with the review. Solty Rei is one of my all-time favorite shows.
I was disappointed to see the "Rental" rating, and then confused after reading the review.

Yea, I agree. I was a little confused because outside of the dated look comments the review seems very positive. Since its mentioned that it borrows from other works (heavily?) is it then that it didn't do anything particularly new with its ideas making it predictable? Some shows have great parts, but are uneven as a whole which earn it rental. This one sounds like its more along the lines of solid, but unremarkable. At least I think that's what the review is trying to say.

I've only watched a few episodes in the past for a tournament and meant to go back and watch the whole thing based on Theron's past recommendation but I never got the chance. I guess I should check it out?
Takamachi Ryoko

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:44 pm Reply with quote
I remember watching Solty Rei in my earlier years of watching anime, and I still have fond memories of watching this show even a decade later. A cute and fun show with a cute main lead, never have you seen a badass Miku puching giant robots. It was one of Gonzo's finer works, I'm glad it got the positive review it deserves.

Atelier Logy isn't all bad, it's just another cute girls doing cute things with some mixes of alchemy in it. It was a fun watch.
Gasero

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:23 pm Reply with quote
I had no idea pokemon was still being released to retail on disc. 24 episodes for $19 isn't bad either.

I've been keeping up with the series and don't desire a disc copy, but it is nice to know the cost to own some of those episodes isn't excessive.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:26 pm Reply with quote
thenix wrote:
I saw the first few episodes of Solty Rei and all I could think was it was trying really hard to be like Cowboy Bebop and failing (or not being as good as Cowboy Bebop, I can't really judge it on it's own merits) It made me want to stop watching though.

It's really not even remotely close to being that; frankly, I have no clue how you came up with that comparison, even based on the first episode alone. While it does take inspiration from other shows, CB is definitely not one of them.

One-Eye wrote:
Since its mentioned that it borrows from other works (heavily?) is it then that it didn't do anything particularly new with its ideas making it predictable? Some shows have great parts, but are uneven as a whole which earn it rental. This one sounds like its more along the lines of solid, but unremarkable. At least I think that's what the review is trying to say.

The show does have its weak episodes, which I'm guessing is why it was classified as a rental. It follows a relatively familiar pattern for early-to-mid-2000s Gonzo titles (and really 24-26 episode titles from the 2000s in general): its weakest episodes are in the first half, but it starts picking up on its storytelling as it approaches or hits double digits. (I think it's because most of those series really only had 19-20 episodes of actual story to tell, but that's a debate for another day.)

As far as being predictable? Only partly so. Some of its twists you might see coming, but some you definitely won't.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Solty Rei has been one of my most frequent rewatches since its original 2007 singles releases, and Gabriella lays out pretty well why I keep coming back to it.

Hyperdimension Neptunia, OTOH, I can't ever imagine having the impetus to rewatch.

I heard reference to similarities with Bubblegum Crisis. Does that data really add up? If is, is it a god what for someone who likes Bubblegum Crisis?
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Poory Solty Rei has been sitting unwatched on my shelf for over five years. It's one of those titles that I keep meaning to get around to. Reading that it still has a so much love will hopefully push me into getting started. Thanks for the reviews!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2