• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Video Game Girl Ai

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merxamers

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
With only a childhood photo to guide him, he moves back to his old home, only to meet two girls who both claim to be his sister. Now they must figure out which one of them is his sister, and which one is his one true love

When i first read this, i laughed outloud, loudly, for at least a minute. This is the most hilariously 'anime' plot synopsis i have ever seen! It's like the parody light-novel title from some other anime (Everyone On Earth But Me Is My Little Sister). It's so glorious! I will never watch it, but at least i got my moment of joy Anime hyper
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
One-Eye wrote:
Since its mentioned that it borrows from other works (heavily?) is it then that it didn't do anything particularly new with its ideas making it predictable? Some shows have great parts, but are uneven as a whole which earn it rental. This one sounds like its more along the lines of solid, but unremarkable. At least I think that's what the review is trying to say.

The show does have its weak episodes, which I'm guessing is why it was classified as a rental. It follows a relatively familiar pattern for early-to-mid-2000s Gonzo titles (and really 24-26 episode titles from the 2000s in general): its weakest episodes are in the first half, but it starts picking up on its storytelling as it approaches or hits double digits. (I think it's because most of those series really only had 19-20 episodes of actual story to tell, but that's a debate for another day.)

As far as being predictable? Only partly so. Some of its twists you might see coming, but some you definitely won't.

Ah, Ok I get it. There are shows that don't seem to get to the meat of things until about 1/2 way or so and can be fairly episodic until then. I don't mind that as long as the rest of the show makes up for it. Thanks, I'll have to check it out then.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Hellsoldier wrote:
I heard reference to similarities with Bubblegum Crisis. Does that data really add up? If is, is it a god what for someone who likes Bubblegum Crisis?

Oh, it definitely borrows some from the BGC franchise. The combat suits of the RUC girls (who form the supporting quartet which Gabriella refers to) very definitely have a Knight Saber flavor to them, and some elements which come up in the later part of the series have echoes of 2040, including (major BGC 2040 spoiler) spoiler[the whole business of humanizing artificially-created beings] and certain elements of the rogue Boomer phenomenon that are exclusive to that part of the franchise.

That's about where the borrowing from BGC ends, though. SR is otherwise an entirely different series with entirely different characters and individual stories. Hence I cannot at all guarantee that a BGC fan will automatically like SR.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
brucepuppy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:26 am Reply with quote
I'm still on the fence regarding Kotoura-san, the cheapest price doesn't help either >< The opinions about it are polarized'

I may check EschaLogy as well. The (game) story was kinda meh, that's why I want to see whether it got better, even slightly, in anime form.
shade62

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:31 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Funimation's dub turns the camp dial up to eleven. The scripts – straightforward sentimentality in Japanese – have been punched up with every video game meme that the writers could think of. It's dangerous to go alone, miserable power of secrets, do a barrel role, etc. etc.

Isn't it "miserable pile of secrets", though? Also, "barrel role"? What's a "barrel role"? Barrel roll. Do a barrel roll.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:50 am Reply with quote
It was definitely no masterpiece, but I found the Neptunia anime very enjoyable. I'll probably buy it, especially so I can check out the dub. Its just a nice series I can watch to relax. Atelier Escha looks pleasant but I'll probably skip. I'll check out the game though. And didn't Funimation already release Solty Rei on S.A.V.E. a couple years ago? Its been on my watchlist but I haven't gotten around to checking it out. Probably should get that Pokemon set as well.
Northlander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:08 am Reply with quote
shade62 wrote:
Quote:
Funimation's dub turns the camp dial up to eleven. The scripts – straightforward sentimentality in Japanese – have been punched up with every video game meme that the writers could think of. It's dangerous to go alone, miserable power of secrets, do a barrel role, etc. etc.

Isn't it "miserable pile of secrets", though? Also, "barrel role"? What's a "barrel role"? Barrel roll. Do a barrel roll.

Originally, yes, but when I read that, I came to the conclusion that said meme's were probably slightly altered for added punnery within the context of the scene they were used for.... or something like that.
SpeckTech

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:29 am Reply with quote
kevinx59 wrote:
It was definitely no masterpiece, but I found the Neptunia anime very enjoyable. I'll probably buy it, especially so I can check out the dub. Its just a nice series I can watch to relax. Atelier Escha looks pleasant but I'll probably skip. I'll check out the game though. And didn't Funimation already release Solty Rei on S.A.V.E. a couple years ago? Its been on my watchlist but I haven't gotten around to checking it out. Probably should get that Pokemon set as well.

if you're a fan of neptunia, you can enjoy the anime, but otherwise it's mediocre.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:25 am Reply with quote
I'll put in my two cents and say I really liked Sakura Trick, more yuri than YuruYuri but also sweeter. I guess it tries to explore several versions of yuri couples, because it seems everyone is lesbian-leaning here. Of course some will say it is "crap" compared to Strawberry Panic, well, I didn't like that one so much.
trilaan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Solty Rei is pretty good but I feel that it used too many of the same plot elements and concepts as Zone of the Enders: Dolores, I, which did it several years earlier and, in my opinion, better.
Touma

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:26 pm Reply with quote
I do not remember any similarities between Solty Rei, which I saw first, and Zone of the Enders: Dolores.
But I love Solty and have watched it at least four times, and I never felt like watching ZOE again after I finished it. So maybe I am just not remembering ZOE very well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheBlackGirlGamer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Solty Rei has been one of my most frequent rewatches since its original 2007 singles releases, and Gabriella lays out pretty well why I keep coming back to it.

Hyperdimension Neptunia, OTOH, I can't ever imagine having the impetus to rewatch.

I agree. Solti rein was indeed the best. I just can't re watch the hyperdimension neptunia anime... It doesn't give me the vibe. If only they had stick with the game setting, instead...
trilaan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:05 am Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
I do not remember any similarities between Solty Rei, which I saw first, and Zone of the Enders: Dolores.
But I love Solty and have watched it at least four times, and I never felt like watching ZOE again after I finished it. So maybe I am just not remembering ZOE very well.

I wish I still had the list I made at the time I compared the two.

Here are some similarities I can recall:

spoiler[A robot with a female personality falls in love with an older man who becomes her adoptive father.
The robot girl is a bubbly innocent personality but will go into a seemingly unstoppable combat mode.
Robot girl is the focus of the "What measure is a non-Human" trope
Robot girl performs a heroic sacrifice but returns.]
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
The review for Solty Rei seems to me to be much too positive to justify calling it a rental.
Not that I disagree with the review. Solty Rei is one of my all-time favorite shows.
I was disappointed to see the "Rental" rating, and then confused after reading the review.

This article has a lot of useful information for me about shows that I have not seen yet.

and considering how good the dub is, its a definite surprise to see it on the rental instead of in the shelf worthy. at least hyperdimension neptunia is right where it is.

its a good series, but when it comes to anime based off of games, kinda inferior compared to devil may cry, sengoku basara , blazeblue and especially zone in the enders dolores & the Idolo OVA.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2