• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Idol Duo ClariS Finally Reveals Themselves, Kinda

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
animefan1238

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:41 pm Reply with quote
It's smart to keep their identities hidden. Being a big pop star is all well and good, but there are some nut jobs who'd love to get their pervy obsessed hands on them. I hope Alice comes back when she's ready or maybe all three together. That'd be cool.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:48 pm Reply with quote
chito895 wrote:
It's OK that they cover themselves. I think it really doesn't matter as long as they sing well, and they indeed sing beautifully. I wish them a good career and I also hope that Alice comes back to the group at some point in the future.

Possibly Weird Outcome: A Trio called ClariS, with Clara, Alice and Karen.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:56 pm Reply with quote
animefan1238 wrote:
It's smart to keep their identities hidden. Being a big pop star is all well and good, but there are some nut jobs who'd love to get their pervy obsessed hands on them. I hope Alice comes back when she's ready or maybe all three together. That'd be cool.

I didn't even notice someone already made a reference to the 3-piece ClariS idea. I apologize.

Well, yeah. I think he Idol Industry is kinda infamous for that.
Xionea

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:33 pm Reply with quote
I actually kind of hope they always keep their identity hidden. It gives off a sense of mystery to it (Like Wilson's face in Home Improvement, what's under Double D's hat in Ed Edd n Eddy, and so on). And while it does prevent stalkerish people to a point, I feel like sooner or later someone would rip the veil off of one or both of them. I hope that never happens though
brucepuppy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:35 am Reply with quote
Isn't it kinda inconvenient to hold a concert like that? But it only adds the mysteriousness I guess.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:29 am Reply with quote
Business-wise, they're not just pulling a Hannah Montana - they're probably not much of a looker, which could torpedo their career as idol fans put a lot more emphasis on looks. It's a good business decision in J-music - girls like Adele don't succeed just with their voice in Japan.
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:47 am Reply with quote
I have serious reservations they are keeping their identities secret to avoid stalkers or for protection, and am willing to bet it's more a matter of marketing. I has done wonders for Daft Punk, and this does make ClariS stand out in an endless sea of idols.

Or, to put it in to perspective, think of Cartmanland. Run a an extravagant marketing campaign for the best amusement park in the world, then tell people, they can't go.

The only other logic I could assess to this would be, that the members are ridiculously young, like first years in middle school, but that leads back to the security/privacy issue; again, I don't see it.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Their original reason was that they wanted to focus on their schoolwork(they did, in fact, start putting out singles at a tender age) and revealing their faces would pretty much force them to choose between idol careers or their education.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:42 pm Reply with quote
AJ (LordNikon) wrote:
I have serious reservations they are keeping their identities secret to avoid stalkers or for protection, and am willing to bet it's more a matter of marketing. I has done wonders for Daft Punk, and this does make ClariS stand out in an endless sea of idols.

Or, to put it in to perspective, think of Cartmanland. Run a an extravagant marketing campaign for the best amusement park in the world, then tell people, they can't go.

The only other logic I could assess to this would be, that the members are ridiculously young, like first years in middle school, but that leads back to the security/privacy issue; again, I don't see it.

What's so brilliant about it is that it serves both purposes. It allows them to be popular without ruining their private lives. I doubt they are dumb enough to think up something like this without taking the privacy aspect into consideration. If you are an idol that wants attention or fame, your aren't going to choose a gimmick that essentially makes you invisible. That would be pretty counter-intuitive. Clearly they had a more thoughtful reason to choose something like this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2